XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Portable Garages anyone got one? are they any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default Portable Garages anyone got one? are they any good?

Like many other Petrol Heads, I'm starting to run out of Garage Space and was wondering if anyone has either got or can recommend a Portable Type Garage.

The type that I am talking about have a metal frame with either a normal type of pitched roof or alternatively a semi circular hooped roof, covered with heavy duty plastic or canvas.

It needs to be fairly substantial, so it won't blow away or blow over in bad weather.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Portable Garages

I've seen many of these soft-side garage kits around in the last 5 years, and many that were demolished by wind storms and overloaded with snow. I have a couple friends and neighbours that have them, still intact, and I believe the key is to set them up properly, and tighten any loose areas. The ones friends have are in sheltered areas, with trees around them, providing wind and snow protection, and probably UV protection from extreme sun. One neighbour used heavy railroad ties around the perimeter as base, works well. I've seen them used for cars, firewood, recreation toys, etc. Definitely a cheap way to give some protection, but myself, I'd try hard to build on to my existing garage.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gregh
I've seen many of these soft-side garage kits around in the last 5 years, and many that were demolished by wind storms and overloaded with snow. I have a couple friends and neighbours that have them, still intact, and I believe the key is to set them up properly, and tighten any loose areas. The ones friends have are in sheltered areas, with trees around them, providing wind and snow protection, and probably UV protection from extreme sun. One neighbour used heavy railroad ties around the perimeter as base, works well. I've seen them used for cars, firewood, recreation toys, etc. Definitely a cheap way to give some protection, but myself, I'd try hard to build on to my existing garage.
Thanks!

What I would really love to have is a portable garage for the Summer, which I can just drive into after a day out.

The reason being that is would be more accessible than the 3 X Jag sandwich that I have at the moment, with limited space to get round.

The idea being that I could keep the hood down all the time and then just throw the cover over the car.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

I've done a bit of research on this topic. I think you cannot beat Cover-Tech Inc. - Portable Garage, Instant Portable Garage, Portable Carports, Shelters, Storage for durability and weather-sturdiness, also the price of the Canadian Made Portable Garage (which I prefer to their cheaper "Limited Edition" model) at $935CAD for 10'x20' looks like good value to me. Shipping to the UK might be a deal breaker though.

I did use a cheapo $300 one from Canadian Tire (national supplier of all things Chinese) and feel that I got my money's worth as it lasted three years however I wouldn't buy another cheap one like it. The tarp cover wore, stretched, and ripped because of what gregh mentioned, ie tighening as much as possible, which wasn't really possible with the cheap unit.

And one autumn day the whole contraption blew away in a strong wind, pulling the anchors out of the ground. This is because I left the front door open and the wind got in and under.

Ideally though, I would like to use a Carcoon.com bubble inside the portable garage because moisture comes up through the ground under the garage.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

Or consider this one from Machine Mart:
Clarke CIG1216 Heavy Duty Instant Garage 16 x 12ft - Machine Mart

Best wishes, Colin

Old 03-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

A shipping container can be quite useful.
Cheap, easily secured, won't blow away.

Your problem would be where to put it, unless you have a large plot to hide it in.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Check out your local bylaws, some towns don't allow these. If a neighbour complains, you're out of luck.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mkii250
I've done a bit of research on this topic. I think you cannot beat Cover-Tech Inc. - Portable Garage, Instant Portable Garage, Portable Carports, Shelters, Storage for durability and weather-sturdiness, also the price of the Canadian Made Portable Garage (which I prefer to their cheaper "Limited Edition" model) at $935CAD for 10'x20' looks like good value to me. Shipping to the UK might be a deal breaker though.

I did use a cheapo $300 one from Canadian Tire (national supplier of all things Chinese) and feel that I got my money's worth as it lasted three years however I wouldn't buy another cheap one like it. The tarp cover wore, stretched, and ripped because of what gregh mentioned, ie tighening as much as possible, which wasn't really possible with the cheap unit.

And one autumn day the whole contraption blew away in a strong wind, pulling the anchors out of the ground. This is because I left the front door open and the wind got in and under.

Ideally though, I would like to use a Carcoon.com bubble inside the portable garage because moisture comes up through the ground under the garage.
Thanks!

That does look an amazing piece of kit, if it stands up to Canadian Winters then I would imagine that it would be just the job for the UK.

But as you say the shipping/import duty/vat, could put something like that right out of the Window.

I do love the round top hooped roof though.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aardvark64
Or consider this one from Machine Mart:
Clarke CIG1216 Heavy Duty Instant Garage 16 x 12ft - Machine Mart

Best wishes, Colin
Hi Colin and Thanks

I didn't even know Machine Mart did these! so it could be what I am looking for.

A few years ago I bought myself a proper Garage Lift and built a structure round it using Scaffold Poles and Key Klamp.

Its got a flat roof on it at the moment, at a very slight angle so the water runs off.

So I am going to ask machine mart if I can buy the Cover only and then make my own frame out of scaffold poles as from what I have looked at so far its the small diameter poles that let these things down (pun intended)

Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avt007
Check out your local bylaws, some towns don't allow these. If a neighbour complains, you're out of luck.
Yeah!

My first though was a container but they are a little bit narrow, so the Jag might be a tight fit, as they are only 8ft wide, so not much room to get round.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avt007
I know a guy who has an amazing garage that James bond would be proud of, you drive your car onto it, push a button and it disappears into the ground with a real grass roof on the top.

It cost him something like £20,000 to install but it is awesome!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250
I did use a cheapo $300 one from Canadian Tire (national supplier of all things Chinese) and feel that I got my money's worth as it lasted three years however I wouldn't buy another cheap one like it.
Tired old broken record sung by those who wouldn't dig down deep enough in their pockets the first time.

The fault does not lie with the vendor. There is only so much that can be done within a given cost. If you paid the same amount of money for a Canadian made unit, you might end up with a pup tent.

Comparing a unit costing three times as much is not a fair comparison.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Last edited by Mkii250; 03-12-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: In the interest of friendliness.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't know what your snow load is where you live, but I live in the snow belt of New Hampshire and the snowstorm we had last week is a good example of what we get. 12 inches of heavy, wet snow.
I know several people with those portable garages, all are different in quality but are rated for "heavy snow". They all have the same problem, if they don't get the snow off, the trusses start to bend and the whole thing will collapse.

orangeblossom (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

I had one about 15 years ago and it didn't stand up to the New England winter - really took a beating. I paid $1500.00 USD for it and sold it about two years later to another fellow for $300.00 USD. He wanted it to store store his firewood in. My advice, if your winters are as hard as New England winters don't waste your money. If they're somewhat milder - more rain than snow a portable garage may work for you.

Last edited by Roger95; 03-12-2013 at 09:07 AM.
orangeblossom (03-11-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stillill
I want one but I bet they are very expensive?

Imagine what would happen if your air blower packed up half way through inflation arrgh!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
I don't know what your snow load is where you live, but I live in the snow belt of New Hampshire and the snowstorm we had last week is a good example of what we get. 12 inches of heavy, wet snow.
I know several people with those portable garages, all are different in quality but are rated for "heavy snow". They all have the same problem, if they don't get the snow off, the trusses start to bend and the whole thing will collapse.
Not too much snow down this way Jamey

Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I want one but I bet they are very expensive?

Imagine what would happen if your air blower packed up half way through inflation arrgh!
You'd have a very durable crawlspace foundation!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

I just got a quote for a Cover only for a 16 X 12 £180 inc vat + £80 inc vat for front door and back wall = £260 inc Vat without frame or £358.80 complete

So if I just had the Cover I would save £198

Using secondhand scaffold poles and new Key Clamps I probably would not save very much but I would have a bullet proof framewww.alvinkeyclamp.co.uk

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-11-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Portable Garages anyone got one? are they any good?