XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rear Caliper Rebuild: Does IRS need to be Dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear Caliper Rebuild: Does IRS need to be Dropped?

Ok, so front calipers are done. Not so bad, just time consuming. I examined the rears and there is uneven wear on the driver side pads, most likely indicating an immobile piston. This really looks like a PITA job as there is simply no room to do anything.

I am not a mechanic, but can follow directions quite well...Does the IRS need to be dropped for me to get those calipers in my hands?

I read a post saying that the dropping of the IRS is not that difficult of a job, but then again this guy may be an expert mechanic and that thing also looks pretty heavy. Thanx for your help!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by michaem101
Ok, so front calipers are done. Not so bad, just time consuming. I examined the rears and there is uneven wear on the driver side pads, most likely indicating an immobile piston. This really looks like a PITA job as there is simply no room to do anything.

I am not a mechanic, but can follow directions quite well...Does the IRS need to be dropped for me to get those calipers in my hands?

I read a post saying that the dropping of the IRS is not that difficult of a job, but then again this guy may be an expert mechanic and that thing also looks pretty heavy. Thanx for your help!

Nope. You can remove 'em with the rear suspension in place. Not fun, but prefectly doable. Bring whatever you'll need to be comfortable under the car 'cuz you'll be there for quite a while :-).

How are your rear rotors? if they need replacing it's best to drop the suspension. Removing the rotors mean letting the lower control arms swing wayyyyy down which mean having the car elevated wayyyyyy high on jackstands....higher than most would be comfortable with.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-11-2010, 04:44 AM

Thanx Doug. I knew you were going to say it was do-able w/o dropping the whole bleedin rear-end. I'm going to flush the system and will try to move that piston even if it kills me...
I don't want to spend the rest of the summer under the car on my creeper. I've been tearing apart brand new brake parts and have vowed to never again let my cars sit around.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Dripping the rear suspension is not too hard, but you need a trolley jack with a good raise height, ( i.e a proper garage-type jack) so you can lower the rear subframe using it, with the car high up on stands.

First off you have to remove the rear exhausts, of course, but then it is a matter of the four rubber mounts, (4 bolts per side), plus the front-rear tie arms, one bolt each side. And of course, remove the brake line flexible, and disconnect the handbrake cable. YOu have to support the subframe on the jack first so it doesn't just fall out when you undo the mounting bolts.

There, doesn't sound too bad does it ?

PS - you normally find more than just the calipers need attention. Due to the whole system being inboard, a lot of neglect is normal, so the discs are probably gone as well.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 AM

I have exercised the bloody rear pistons and she's good to go! The rest of her is practically brand new and I don't even want to think of dealing with any more of this torture. My other collector vehicles are Porsche 911s and it has become a great pleasure to work on them after dealing with this Jaguar stuff. No comment about WW2 and what might have become if the US was not an ally...