XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rear Spoiler * Help needed *

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Spoiler * Help needed *

I have just purchased, refurbished and painted a Jaguar Sport rear spoiler. I now need to fit it to my XJS. It does not currently have a rear spoiler and as such the mounting holes do not exist.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any fitting instructions that exist or if anyone might be able to check their vehicle for how it is mounted (i.e. any reinforcements on the inside, etc.) along with some dimensions from an easily measurable position to get it in the right place. Any photo's would also be useful.

I already have the topside foam gaskets ready for the install.

Many thanks, Lee.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

the spoiler is bolted directly to the boot lid skin with bolts from underneath and large washers to spread the load

there is also a rubber foot under the spoiler mounts about 6mm thick , it is essential this is also installed as it will stop the spoiler hitting the rear wings when shut

when i did mine, the internal threads had sheared off, so i had to adapt the mounts and i bonded in threads to the spoiler and put nuts on underneath , but that was mine

as for spacing , the ' wings ' of the spoiler need to be flush with the cars wings above the rear light cluster, allowing for the aerial hole to be lined up correctly

i would use some low tack masking tape to cover the area , and then move the spoiler around till it looks right, and draw around the mounting feet , then using a template transfer the mounting hole dimensions , make them slightly larger than the bolt size and that will give you a few mm's of wiggle room when bolting up

1822 by MyPix on Talk Photography
BB

Old 04-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Lee,

Is it a pre-facelift spoiler as Brake Buster has described, or a facelift spoiler?

If it's a facelift spoiler, I MIGHT have the fitting instructions. If I do have them, I think they also detail the exact measurements as to where the holes should be drilled etc.

Let us know which spoiler you have.

Paul

Old 04-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Nice one guys, good assist

Question - I get the rubber feet mounted under the spoiler mounts, presumably any rubber will do cut to size?

As its a retrofit, I'm wondering about the bolt holes and or any potential water ingress in the future? Would it make sense for a waterproof silicone bead around the holes on the underside?
Just at thought....

Old 04-11-2015, 11:27 AM

any measures against water ingress to our cars always helps, but you won't need much , just around the bolt holes to be honest

as for the rubber spacers, any neoprene type rubber will suffice i suppose,

unless genuine Jaguar spoiler fitting kit ones are available, but i have never seen any in nearly 11 years apart from used ones

on a similar note for the spoiler fitting, ensure the boot lid support rubber wedges are fitted and in good condition , as its these the boot lid is pushed down on at speed to stop body panels touching, these can be seen in my picture poking out under the bottom lip of the boot lid above the bumpers , these are still available new, and only screw in place

also
the aerial wiring loom needs an adaptor loom with a control relay in it ( genuine Jaguar requirement and part ) to stop the boot from opening with the aerial in the up position , as it will snap off the mast , if you need one, pm me, as i have a brand new spare, and the good news is its plug and play by replacing the existing aerial loom in the boot

BB

Last edited by Brake buster; 04-11-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 PM

That's great help guys, thanks for the speedy response.

My vehicle is a post facelift and so, Paul, if you do have any fitting instructions they would be gratefully received.

Also, Brake Buster, I don't have an aerial control relay, do you know if the one that you have will fit a post facelift vehicle, where are you located ?

I had already checked the parts catalogue for the required parts and all they list is the top rubber gasket between the spoiler and the boot lid and the M6 nuts. The rubber gaskets I ordered, which were a couple of pounds each, I do however think that a rubber penny washer followed by a steel penny washer on the underside to stop the tightening of the fastener deforming the boot lid metalwork, followed by a nylon nut to stop the assembly working loose. The rubber should then also act as a water ingress seal.

Lee.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

Lee,

Hi, The facelift spoiler is quite different to the pre-facelift that BB describes so there's a few points of which you should be aware.

I went out to the garage and opened the huge box containing my genuine Jaguar spoiler and fitting kit. It's good news and bad news!

I remember when I first got it, 10 years ago, that there was a paper template in the instructions which one placed on the car to show the exact spots for hole drillings. I remember thinking I should put that somewhere for safe keeping. So safe, that I haven't the faintest idea where I put it! Bad news!!

Jaguar provided 2 types of spoiler, one with in-built brake light, one without. I have the brakelight type so there's lots of bits of wire and plugs etc referred to in the fitting instructions. Presumably these aren't relevant to you.

Jaguar realised that there are 2 problems in just fitting the spoiler to a facelift car:

- it's heavy and can cause the boot to drop when you open it.
- the spoiler will break the aerial if you open the boot within 20 seconds of turning off the ignition / radio, due to the aerial delay function.

Therefore, the spoiler kit came with 2 uprated boot struts (I haven't checked to see if one is a locking strut as well perhaps?). It also comes with a revised aerial which doesn't have the 20seconds delay function. So the new aerial will retract immediately on ignition turn-off. You might want to think about the struts and aerial issue.

There are 2 very soft compressible rubber mounting pads, but I'm sure they just act as protection and seal for the bootlid rather than to give any spacing. The revised shape of the facelift spoiler (without an aerial hole) means that it shouldn't hit the wing anyway. I have the pads but thought they were unavailable from Jaguar. Where did you get them?

The facelift bootlids don't have the rubber pads to which BB referred. They use small buffer pins located on the bootlid as standard for all cars. Might be worth making sure they are intact.

Drop me an email to p.sinnott@btopenworld.com and I'll email you the rather basic fitting instructions. In the meantime, I'm going to scour my "safe" places to try and find that template! This thread has enthused me to fit my spoiler now!

Cheers

Paul

Old 04-12-2015, 06:38 AM

wot he said.......lol

BB

Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 AM

Thanks Paul, very helpful. I will email you shortly for the instructions.

I have the rubber gaskets (as I call them), I got them from jaguar heritage.

I have the spoiler without the brake light. It took ages to find one on eBay that was not 'over priced' and I had to do some remedial work to make it good but it is at the painters now.

I did order some updated gas struts but they ended up being too short! I will see how the current ones hold up when it is fitted and take it from there. I know the supplier of the gas struts due to the nature of my work and may ask them for higher pressurised ones should it be a problem.

As for the aerial, I might also see how that goes but it could be an expensive learning lesson!

I also noticed that the boot lid reinforcement spa's are notched away for clearance at the same pitch as the spoiler mounting studs, thereby indicating where the holes are likely to be. If you have a look under the boot lid liner you should also notice this as well.

I hope you do end up fitting the spoiler because in my opinion they enhance the styling of the car significantly.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Lee,

JaguarSport took a slightly different route re. the aerial, using a special link lead and a relay. The link lead was part number SPB1138 (NLA) plus a relay which is still available.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul

Old 04-12-2015, 09:43 AM

Thanks Paul.

Brake Buster, you mention that you have a link lead / solenoid kit - do you or anyone else know if this fits a post facelift vehicle ?

If so could you email me and we'll talk - lee@leepalmer.freeserve.co.uk

Cheers, Lee.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Lee,

The SPD1138 Link lead + DAC7687 Relay were quoted as parts for the facelift XJR-S, so if BB has that same Part number lead, then you should be fine.

Hope that helps

Paul

Old 04-12-2015, 01:10 PM

Thanks Paul, did you see my reply to the other post in terms of the part number for the uprated gas struts - do you have a part number, even if it's the manufacturers part number instead of Jaguars ?

BB, are you able to check the part number and let me know if this is indeed the appropriate parts and, if so, let's talk.

Cheers, Lee.