XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Rebuilding Rack and Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:37 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rebuilding Rack and Pinion

Hello fellow XJSers,

Today I am coming to you with two questions. A little backstory first, though. Recently saw power steering fluid leaking on Morris, changed the power steering hoses as they were old, possibly leaking, and I had access due to the water pump being changed. The leaking stopped, up until about two weeks ago, when it power steering started leaking again. At first I thought it was the hoses, and that maybe I had bolted them in wrong (those fine threads, argh!). Nope, I removed one of the boots and lots of power steering fluid came out, so the rack seals have gone bad.

First question: How hard is it to rebuild the rack and pinion? XKs Unlimited has a kit to rebuild it. Taking it off is no problem, done it once already, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined (changed water pump, valve cover gaskets, etc.). I've never done a rack and pinion before, though, but I figure someone with a Master's degree should be able to figure it out, right?

Second question: assuming it sounds doable by me, how many of you would be interested in seeing me rebuild it? Maybe pictures, video, etc.?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts
Default My $500. POS XJS conv.

Originally Posted by Eskr
Hello fellow XJSers,

Today I am coming to you with two questions. A little backstory first, though. Recently saw power steering fluid leaking on Morris, changed the power steering hoses as they were old, possibly leaking, and I had access due to the water pump being changed. The leaking stopped, up until about two weeks ago, when it power steering started leaking again. At first I thought it was the hoses, and that maybe I had bolted them in wrong (those fine threads, argh!). Nope, I removed one of the boots and lots of power steering fluid came out, so the rack seals have gone bad.

First question: How hard is it to rebuild the rack and pinion? XKs Unlimited has a kit to rebuild it. Taking it off is no problem, done it once already, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined (changed water pump, valve cover gaskets, etc.). I've never done a rack and pinion before, though, but I figure someone with a Master's degree should be able to figure it out, right?

Second question: assuming it sounds doable by me, how many of you would be interested in seeing me rebuild it? Maybe pictures, video, etc.?
I would like to see that. I turned my steering wheel and heard a big clunk. I wasn't under power (engine doesn't run)and when I turned it again it clunked again. $cary $ound. I guess thats what I get for $500.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Rock Auto or some of the Jag specialty parts suppliers can have a rack to you in a few days ready to bolt in. I dont think its worth a DIY'er to build the rack on site. The special tools, techniques, and 100+$ worth of rebuild parts makes a 300$ ready to bolt in rack seem like a bargain.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (05-21-2014)