XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Recommendations for Aux Cooling Fan replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Recommendations for Aux Cooling Fan replacement

I am not quite ready to go 100% eFan route yet, but I am considering replacing the stock Auxiliary cooling fan with a more potent (more powerful) one.

Ideally, the replacement fan would require very little to no modifications, just have higher CFM rating. (By the way, what is the CFM rating of the stock aux fan?)

Are there options that people can recommend?

Old 06-11-2018, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

The stock fan is quite small. if you wish to keep the shroud, then buy a fan that will just fit into it, and fab up a mounting that will get it as close to the actual rad fins as possible. A decent make, SPAL are probably the best aftermarket fans available, will be far better than the OEM one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (06-11-2018), v1rok (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
The stock fan is quite small. if you wish to keep the shroud, then buy a fan that will just fit into it, and fab up a mounting that will get it as close to the actual rad fins as possible. A decent make, SPAL are probably the best aftermarket fans available, will be far better than the OEM one.
I pulled the stock Aux Fan from the donor car. To take a closer look at it. See the picture below. It is a Bosch fan, 12V. Diameter (blade-to-blade): 10.75" (or about 270mm). There are no other specs on it. Does anybody know what the CFM rating on this fan? And whether it is a pusher or a puller?

In general, what kind of aux fan should I be looking for for max performance: a puller or a pusher?

I think it should be a puller, right? (But, as usual, one can always find divergent opinions on the internet )

Old 06-24-2018, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

If you mount a fan in the Aux bracket area and its pushing wouldn't the car up recycling the same hot air? I'm also interested in a new aux fan, I've wired mine to a toggle switch for hot city traffic and hot shutdown.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:12 AM

This morning I "cleared" the area after removing the Aux Cooling Fan and then took some measurements. It appears that there should be enough space to fit 11" or even 12" eFan in the space.

I am thinking about finding the most powerful eFan (hopefully, 12") that would fit in the space to replace the stock fan. If anybody already did this, please share your experiences/advises/references... Tnx!

Old 06-25-2018, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by v1rok
This morning I "cleared" the area after removing the Aux Cooling Fan and then took some measurements. It appears that there should be enough space to fit 11" or even 12" eFan in the space.
I am thinking about finding the most powerful eFan (hopefully, 12") that would fit in the space to replace the stock fan. If anybody already did this, please share your experiences/advises/references...
That is what I have done. remove the shroud and you can get in a 12 inch, just, or an 11 inch. The 12 may slightly overlap the LHS radiator tank but that does not matter. I have a SPAL in the biggest motor they make for the size. Works fantastically well.
Fixing well it is important. I have mine hung from the crossplate at the top (I bolted an ally square tube underneath the crossplate, just aft of the rad, and fixed the top of the fan to the tube) and I welded studs to the crossmember under the rad for the bottom, with support arms from the studs up to the fan bottom fixings. Or you could fab an ally shroud, bolt the fan to it, and use the OEM fixings, But get the fan as close to the rad as you can, with a bit of foam stuck to the fan outer rim to stop any chafing.
I have twin E fans, and the main fan, another huge SPAL basically never cuts in except in traffic jams on a boiling hot day.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I have a cheapo $20 fan from eBay, required minor cutting to the shroud. I think it is rated in the range of 2200-2500 CFM. Some figures floating around suggest the stock fan ran around 850-1000 CFM. Mines lasted 6 years so far and is a $20 fix if it goes bad, so I have no desire to go with a fancy branded $100 electric fan.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Not completely familiar with this car. But, my XJ wuzza six is similar. Or once was!!!

A "smallish" auxiliary fan in front of the AC condenser and mounted down low. Along side the oil cooler matrix.

Not used in the conversion It hung on a wall for about a decade, A lister in FLA. now has it,

I've another smallish fan still in my bits I don't know it's etiology. I suspect early Camaro. I do not recall if I tested it or not!!!

Were I looking for a similar but more robust unit, I'd visit the breakers yard. Many options there.

Oh, if in front of the condenser it is a pusher. The main fan is a puller. Can not work against each other!!

Carl

Old 06-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm interested in this, too. I used to live in a cold Nordic country and I remember I removed the original clutch and fan. Replaced it with something electrical ... it was almost 20 years ago. Now I live in hot climate and my old setup is not likely sufficient. What brand you got from eBay?

Old 07-01-2018, 10:02 PM

I ordered Maradyne M122K 12” low profile eFan. I also considered couple of SPAL fans, but based on specs they were much thicker.

I hope I will see improvement with keeping the engine cool(er) during idling on warm days