Old 12-26-2017, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts
Default Recurring dream

epilepsy trigger warning

I keep getting these flashes...

Comments on my malady are welcomed.

The following 2 users liked this post by JigJag:
Andreas Schmieg (12-28-2017), orangeblossom (12-26-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 01:38 AM
Received 264 Likes on 178 Posts

Very nice ! Did you do the design yourself ?

Old 12-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leo_denmark
Very nice ! Did you do the design yourself ?
Thanks. Yes, it’s one of several I’ve been playing with. Some designs retain the bumper line and more of the angularity with thin bumpers. I feel like there’s a shape in there that Sayer planned that was never executed. Haven’t quite found it yet. Fabrication would be a puzzle or two but you’d wind up with room out front for intercoolers and turbos if you lay the radiator down.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Jigjag, good to see your are in NC, Are you near Charlotte.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

unimoged, I am, well not technically, but I am every day.

You too? Driving a Unimog down south blvd?

Old 12-26-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

There's a guy in Tampa that has done extensive bodywork to his XJS, maybe look at it before deciding to do large bodywork projects.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Put a tall wing on the back and it will be an XJS Superbird.

Padre

The following users liked this post:
Andreas Schmieg (12-28-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Received 264 Likes on 178 Posts

This is actually not that extensive. Just a nose job...

Andreas Schmieg (12-28-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Front clip from an XK8. Voila!

Padre.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Stop trying to improve on perfection! The only non-Jaguar version of the XJS that has looked wonderful was this one:

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...er-pininfarina

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Daim (12-27-2017), Grant Francis (12-07-2018)
Old 12-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Oh dear.....

Looks like that design has been used !! "The three also gave the car a huge boot to maximise grand touring potential, but this led to a side profile remarkably reminiscent of the same generation Corvette. Though perhaps this was intentional; after all, Jaguar wanted to break into the American market, and what better way to do it?"

Last edited by malc4d; 12-28-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Flint Ironstag (04-10-2018)
Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 AM
Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Design a matching rear kit and sign me up for the waitlist. :-)

Old 04-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Stop trying to improve on perfection! The only non-Jaguar version of the XJS that has looked wonderful was this one:
...Shudder...

Pininfarina rarely makes anything that I dislike. But they do on occasion. This is one of them. It's like a tall corvette from the 80s.

Here's further doodling. Tail contracted 9 inches behind rear wheels ( no wheelbase change ), trunk extension spoiler, and restyled rear windows.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Nice work. But nope, sorry, not doing it for me. The normal XJS design uses the headlights as a very strong lead point, with the bodywork sweeping back from there, and the grille as minimalist. The headlights, like in many classic Jags, aren't just stuck on the front (like they are on the current Tata models) but essentially ARE the front. This design retains that strong sweep back from the headlight, but adds what looks like a rather bulbous bit out to either side, going by the shadows. One reason I'm not a huge fan of the later XJSs is because of those enlarged body-coloured enlarged areas under the bumper. Perhaps if the lights were more faired in with the new nose...? Or staggered, perhaps--the inner ones brought forward and shrunk slightly.
The XJS is also a very square design--angles and planes dominate, aside from those rear buttresses (which is one of the reasons early critics called it "designed by committee"). So those very vertical lights do stand out.
Also not sure about the new C pillar. The real XJS has a rear where all lines swoop towards a possible single converging point somewhere beyond the rear of the car. Just as the buttress drop down and the rear valence panel rises, the waistline also drops a little. This convergence is emphasized by the inner line of the C pillar, though slightly ameliorated with the facelifts. The rear spoiler also looks like an American muscle car to me.
The front is a lot neater, of course. I like the design of the actual nose: I'm just not sure it's mated with the lights and the sides smoothly.

I happen to think that the original design of the XJS is absolutely stunning--it was what first attracted it to me way back when I was a kid in high school. So my comments probably seem overly negative, but that's as it's very hard to improve on near-perfection. I'm not even sure where I'd begin, if I were to give the XJS a minor facelift like that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Some Day, Some Day:
89 Jacobra (05-26-2018), Flint Ironstag (04-10-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

But that's a totally different animal. Unless told so, nobody will ever even suspect that the subject is "Jag XJS". Just my take.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
Nice work. But nope, sorry, not doing it for me. The normal XJS design uses the headlights as a very strong lead point, with the bodywork sweeping back from there, and the grille as minimalist. The headlights, like in many classic Jags, aren't just stuck on the front (like they are on the current Tata models) but essentially ARE the front. This design retains that strong sweep back from the headlight, but adds what looks like a rather bulbous bit out to either side, going by the shadows. One reason I'm not a huge fan of the later XJSs is because of those enlarged body-coloured enlarged areas under the bumper. Perhaps if the lights were more faired in with the new nose...? Or staggered, perhaps--the inner ones brought forward and shrunk slightly.
The XJS is also a very square design--angles and planes dominate, aside from those rear buttresses (which is one of the reasons early critics called it "designed by committee"). So those very vertical lights do stand out.
Also not sure about the new C pillar. The real XJS has a rear where all lines swoop towards a possible single converging point somewhere beyond the rear of the car. Just as the buttress drop down and the rear valence panel rises, the waistline also drops a little. This convergence is emphasized by the inner line of the C pillar, though slightly ameliorated with the facelifts. The rear spoiler also looks like an American muscle car to me.
The front is a lot neater, of course. I like the design of the actual nose: I'm just not sure it's mated with the lights and the sides smoothly.

I happen to think that the original design of the XJS is absolutely stunning--it was what first attracted it to me way back when I was a kid in high school. So my comments probably seem overly negative, but that's as it's very hard to improve on near-perfection. I'm not even sure where I'd begin, if I were to give the XJS a minor facelift like that.
Oh no, your comments are NOT overly negative. I'm with you pretty much on everything, as the XJS design, its lines, angles and projections are very unique and it all comes together to a real master piece, but it is contingent upon preserving that shape very much as designed.

JigJag's idea is fine, but it alters the XJS sculpture and concept to where it is no longer an XJS, but I do like some lines of the last one, the rear window smooth C pillar swooping.

Now, if we want to enhance that great XJS front without altering its lines, this below would do that and still look absolutely "XJS" but with an exclamation point.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Recurring dream-cimg2180-reduced.jpg  

Last edited by Forcedair1; 05-22-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Anyone with any lingering doubt over just how awful the result of tampering with the XJS's peerless design can be, take a look at this hideous mess:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-JAGU...oAAOSwUl5bBG~q
It was a body conversion produced in the UK by a business called Banham. Do not try to improve on perfection!

Old 05-23-2018, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 668 Posts

Retitle the thread - "Recurring nightmare"....

Old 05-23-2018, 07:00 AM
Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by JigJag

To me, the back half looks like a Ford Capri?

Old 05-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone with any lingering doubt over just how awful the result of tampering with the XJS's peerless design can be, take a look at this hideous mess:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-JAGU...oAAOSwUl5bBG~q
It was a body conversion produced in the UK by a business called Banham. Do not try to improve on perfection!
Well, it is just because of the sublime achievement of the Jag XJS designers that most/any deviation from the original body panels, however small, will become immediately so hideous.

So, let's fight a little.....
It must be admitted, however, that on its second birth alterations -i.e. the (in)famous face lift- these engineers were again blessed with sublime inspiration because, in spite of some face-lift aggressive changes, the face-lift XJS stance was miraculously kept untouched and in my personal opinion the face-lift car has a "glory" to it that I fail to discern on the "pre" cars, especially the coup pre face-lift examples. Of course, a pre face-lift owner will never agree, but again....look at this paragraph's title....LOL
Cheers,

Quick Reply: Recurring dream