XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Renewing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Renewing brakes

Any idea what could be the cost to renew the brakes all around, rotors and pads on a 95 XJS who I believe has the brakes on the outside and not inboard right? Thanks

Old 09-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

You're probably looking at $800.00 plus for all four wheels (including new rotors). The fronts are four piston fixed calipers and too many shops screw the job up. The rear brakes are outboard.

You're better off to do it yourself for $75.00 to $100.00 a wheel if you replace the rotors.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for your quick reply, can somebody give me more information how to do it, like step 1 , step 2 ... I'm not a mechanic but certainly willing to give it a try. Thanks

Old 10-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Received 101 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm no mechanic either but I found some very good instructions in the Sticky "How To" Links above. Look for the link entitled "How to replace your calipers". While you are at it, its a good a time as any to check/repack the wheel bearings. Ask here or look it up on the web on how to do that. It's fairly easy as well.
I hate to admit it but.....OK, here goes....I ran out of time and had to bring the car to the shop to do the rear brakes. I also had them check my work on the front as it was the first time I had done this kind of work. Total cost for the shop (after I supplied the parts) was $350. There, I said it out loud and admitted to having someone else work on my car, I feel better now.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 190 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by marmar1305
thanks for your quick reply, can somebody give me more information how to do it, like step 1 , step 2 ... I'm not a mechanic but certainly willing to give it a try. Thanks
Logically, step 1 would be purchase manual for your car. The DVD offered
by jaguar heritage is excellent source of info for someone wanting to work on their own car.

The following 2 users liked this post by swayne:
ptjs1 (10-01-2014), Scoupe89 (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

marmar1305,

The late XJS is certainly not deficient in the braking department so unless you're racing or doing track days, I would stick with standard discs and pads. If you do need replacement calipers, reconditioned original calipers are readily available. The only thing you might want to do is use lower dust pads from EBC.

As suggested, first step (irrespective of whether you're changing brakes) is to buy the proper Jaguar XJS Parts & service manual on DVD from Jaguar Heritage Don't even think about running an XJS without this.

Good luck with the work.

Paul

Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Only pull and install one pad at a time on the fronts. If you pull both pads at the same time and then retract the caliper pistons you'll pop the pistons out of the caliper, which is not something you want to do.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's my question and some answers for the op ... where can we get slotted and drilled rotors? Some of us plan on racing our xjs . Now Too answer your questions .. your best bet is doing it yourself one wheel at a time use the otherside as a reference if you get lost. Unbolt the caliper and use a sufficient c clamp too push the piston into its housing giving you room too install new pads. Plenty of YouTube videos for you if your a visual learner.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by 88-xjsv12
Here's my question and some answers for the op ... where can we get slotted and drilled rotors? Some of us plan on racing our xjs . Now Too answer your questions .. your best bet is doing it yourself one wheel at a time use the otherside as a reference if you get lost. Unbolt the caliper and use a sufficient c clamp too push the piston into its housing giving you room too install new pads. Plenty of YouTube videos for you if your a visual learner.
don't unbolt the caliper just to change the pads, you have to take the whole effing hub assembly apart and it can be a pain to align the steering back up so you can get all 3 of those bolts back in.

maybe you have to remove it to change the rotors anyway, i don't remember but obviously that would make sense. You also cant just use a C clamp because both sides of the caliper have pistons. The proper way to change pads involves opening the bleed valve to let out some fluid, which avoids pushing out the other pistons anyway. You can often press them in by hand if you crack the bleed valve open.

you can find drilled and slotted rotors on ebay and some other sites. Not to sound like a smartass but if you plan on racing your car you need to find reliable resources for parts and be good at finding and researching them, can't be asking people on forums everytime you need something for your race car.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 10-01-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Originally Posted by 88-xjsv12
Here's my question and some answers for the op ... where can we get slotted and drilled rotors? Some of us plan on racing our xjs
EBC slotted and dimpled discs and Red Stuff pads are a great combination on the XJS. you can get even harder full race pads from EBC if you need them. Many of the UK XJS racers and other-makes track-day car guys use these.

There is a vibrant UK XJS racing scene (PJTS will provide details if he sees this) and they will be able to recommend all sorts of racing parts and advice. The racing class levels go from road-worthy 'drive to the track cars' right up to out and out nutter racers. So there will be someone who can help you with whatever level you go for.

OP
Front and rear brakes are completely different. As you have outboard rear brakes, then it is an easier job to change the discs and calipers than on earlier cars. All doable for the DIY mechanic, with patience, the tools required and application, so post again if this is part of what you need to do.

Front brakes are not completely straightforward. To change the discs realistically requires the caliper to be removed, then the hub pulled off and the discs unbolted from it. This is (just) do-able on-car; but not at all easy and I would not recommend it. Ensuring the new disc has no more than 1 thou run-out when fitted is also essential or the brakes will pulse after a few miles. XJSs are very sensitive to this aspect. If you do renew the discs, new exchange calipers or at least rebuilt old ones, is most advisable.

Undoing the old parts is always the problem, installing the new bits is straightforward. If you do decide to do this yourself, I can set out a step by step approach to the mechanical requirements. As others have said, a manual is important, and bleeding the ABS system is something you must fully understand before you embark on the rebuild. I cannot help with this aspect, but plenty of others can. If you have not already done so, downloading the Great Palm's book from Jaglovers is a very good thing to do for all XJS owners.

Finally, whatever you spend on tools will be dwarfed by what you will spend at a garage to have your XJS worked upon. And, some garages will very possibly NOT do a decent job. No-one will care for your XJS like you do; so I seriously recommend you do the work yourself, the learning curve will be hard, but that is the best way if you want a good car at the end of it.

Good luck whatever you choose
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 10-02-2014 at 01:34 AM.