XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Resetting Fuel Trim Adaptations

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 04:51 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,521 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Default Resetting Fuel Trim Adaptations

Wanted to let the forum know that I have a working WDS and I believe I can confirm that it can indeed reset the fuel trim adaptations. I haven't tried it...well, because I've finally chased down all the issues that caused the trims to get up to the +7-10 range. It is now down below +3.

I'll probably give it a shot for the hell of it though. I've attached a photo of the glorious screen that gives me access to a part I always thought only a PDU could do!

I also want to share, and correct a rumor that the Genrad GDS500, and probably GDS510, can also reset these adaptations...it cannot. I have access to the GDS500e, and it's basically a big code reader that can pull Jaguar specific codes. It may be more useful for newer models, but it has very limited abilities for the XJS.

All in all, it's a convenient size to pull ABS codes and the like.

Attached Thumbnails Resetting Fuel Trim Adaptations-genrad-screen.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Cambo (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:07 AM
Received 4,446 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Congrats on getting a WDS set up.

From your screenshot, it looks to be exactly the same functions as the IDS V118 like we discussed before? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...c-tool-171090/

Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Issues?

Originally Posted by Vee
I've finally chased down all the issues that caused the trims to get up to the +7-10 range.
What were the issues that you chased down? Would you please elaborate on that subject? Or, if it's documented elsewhere point me in the right direction.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:57 AM
Received 304 Likes on 201 Posts

Definitely share your sources and costs! I think a Ford WDS can be found pretty easily but getting it to do a Jaguar is an achievement. I have a 95 (and a 92, and an 83) and I LOVE factory service tools even if just for the novelty.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagsandmgs
Definitely share your sources and costs! I think a Ford WDS can be found pretty easily but getting it to do a Jaguar is an achievement. I have a 95 (and a 92, and an 83) and I LOVE factory service tools even if just for the novelty.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...station-41970/

The General Tech Help forum has a couple of outstanding threads on how to resurrect an old machine, if you can come across one. The one I found on Craigslist was $25!

Old 05-25-2017, 08:19 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by petemohr
What were the issues that you chased down? Would you please elaborate on that subject? Or, if it's documented elsewhere point me in the right direction.
I believe the culprits were:
1. leaky intake manifold that seemed to fool several shops. I have some lengthy threads about chasing down a repetitive 32 second hiccup at idle.

2. When I made the mistake of adding a gasket that didn't fit for my throttle body, I ended up finding several tiny vacuum leaks-
a. The idle air control valve's o-ring was completely flat. I changed it with some random rubber o-ring I found in a variety pack I had on hand.
b. I stripped out both screw sockets for the EGR valve. I replaced the gasket and I ended up Timeserting both holes. For some reason, helicoils would not let me torque the screws to the specified amount. I've always had success with helicoils in the past...
c. I did end up carefully adding Hylomar AF between the throttle body and the engine. I followed the directions carefully and I think that has made a difference too.

I don't believe I was the first one at the EGR Valve. I don't think I ever had the seal I was supposed to have.

I don't know if there was a vacuum leak at points (b) and (c), because I screwed up the gasket at the throttle body so badly, I hadn't smoke tested it before. The IACV was certainly letting smoke out though...

Hope this helps.

petemohr (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
Congrats on getting a WDS set up.

From your screenshot, it looks to be exactly the same functions as the IDS V118 like we discussed before? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...c-tool-171090/
Damn you Cambo! Raining on my parade like that.

I have to admit, I wasn't thrilled to see anything other than "Reset Base Adaptations"...I'm concerned that my option is not the same thing.

Only one way to find out...

Stay tuned.

smgdata (05-26-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Vee
Damn you Cambo! Raining on my parade like that.

I have to admit, I wasn't thrilled to see anything other than "Reset Base Adaptations"...I'm concerned that my option is not the same thing.

Only one way to find out...

Stay tuned.
Well I hope it works out, because I don't know what else you can do otherwise.

$25 for a working WDS is incredible btw...

Old 05-25-2017, 05:52 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

They advertised it as non-functioning, but even the damn 9.6v batteries are relatively new. Holds a charge well.

the 3v coin battery was not working, so that needed to be replaced, but I did jump at the opportunity figuring $25 was worth it even if it ended up being a total loss!

it did not come with any cables, but opening up the dock and the PTu, everything looks much better than expected!

Old 05-26-2017, 05:18 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Dagnabbit! In order to perform the fuel Trim setup I need to warm up the engine and provide some information from an exhaust sensor....

It's exactly what the sometimes working Mongoose with IDS let me do.

I have to figure out what this does.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:19 PM

Can you take some screenshots? Would help to understand the requirements here.

I guess it needs some sort of air-fuel-ratio or lambda measurement in order that you adjust the fuel trims to get it "right".

Old 05-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

I basically got here one time before with the Mongoose... It specifically asks to insert the carbon monoxide probe. (I don't believe it expects you to plug anything into the WDS) I aborted at that time. If I remember correctly, it will want me to input a carbon monoxide reading, either by percentage or ppm. I was afraid if I took it to the next step, I might not be able to abort again.

I know it wants a reading at idle, I can't recall if it wants readings with the engine turning at a certain RPM as well.