XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ronbros SDS system

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts
Default Ronbros SDS system

Ronbros
I have started a new thread so as not further to confuse the M90 thread.

Very interested in your SDS system points, so a few questions:

Did you buy 2 x 6 cylinder systems and mount them independently?

How did you know what to set the timing to throughout the rev-range (ie advance etc. under various load conditions etc).

Do you rely on the A/F ratio meter to set the fuelling 'on the fly' or can you map it permanently?

Basically, how did you get it all to work properly, what did you retain from the factory setup?

Greg

Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

HI, Greg, best way is Google SDS EFI, read all about it.

my system somewhat old 1994 , it was the prototype for V12 JAG, (i heard that they dont do V12 anymore)Donno.

anyway i use one computor box, one program handheld control box, 2 injector driver units, for P/H injectors(Honda injs) 21#.

it came with all the wiring, sensors, plug ends.
i did not use any of the jag engine wiring,it was totaly junk, fact is most all of original wiring replaced(33yrs old),, and any LUCAS stuff is still trouble some, like head lite swt, and key ignition switch, have to wiggle sometimes, very annoying!

i use the jag dizzy for spark distribution, and Crane optical ignition trigger, housing is gutted. i actually 1996, started a crank trigger setup in conjunction with CRANE electronics & engineering, but lost interest to a MAZDA rotary project,(500hp out of 1.3L) it was fun!!

(AND NOWHERE DID I SAY THAT COMPLETE PROGRAMMING WAS SIMPLE), HEHE.

actual tuning and programming can take months,seems i'm always fiddilling with it.

and a wideband A/F gage is required, or its all guesswork! and a dyno (rolling road) can be very helpful.

i have no idea what cost is today, i'm not even sure the company has the same owner engineers!

Attached Thumbnails Ronbros SDS system-mazda-jag-rodst-032.jpg   Ronbros SDS system-sds-programmer-pix-003.jpg   Ronbros SDS system-sds-programmer-pix-004.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

this pic will give an idea of consol lean/rich, and other functions.

i call it the James Bond control panel.

so long ago, i have to think about what each one does!

Attached Thumbnails Ronbros SDS system-center-consol-j-bond-system-001.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

of interest, some EMS, that cost more than most cars, like one out of Calif. $10,000. for a dual channel, racing unit,and one channel goes down, flip a switch and another comes on line instantly, or a street mode, to switch to race mode, with completely different maps.

and YES,, producing a map for your own engine,can be a lot of time, but today,not 25yrs ago, there is a completely NEW form of engine tuners,a new kind of technician, that does only HI-performance work, going all over the world to just plug in his laptop, stroke a few keys, and make the MAGIC happen.

they demand BIG money for there services, but they have the experience, and for RICH BOYS and there TOYS, money doesnt matter,no matter what they say, or argue about.

all the tuner has to know,is the guy really serious!!!!

but not to worry, any stuff on this forum would be fairly easy.

Ron

Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info RB. On the SDS website, they only do 4, 6 8 cylinders. What I really am concerned about is that if one of my two young boys are interested, the car could be around for decades, and by that time all the electronic bits to keep it going will be unavailable.

If/when funds permitted, I would love to buy a complete system, try it out and get it running properly, then box it up ready as a replacement for when needed. Maybe silly, but I can dream.

What I really want is someone to do an off the shelf, fully modern, ready programmed and mapped system that can be bolted straight on.

Greg

Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Thanks for the info RB. On the SDS website, they only do 4, 6 8 cylinders. What I really am concerned about is that if one of my two young boys are interested, the car could be around for decades, and by that time all the electronic bits to keep it going will be unavailable.

If/when funds permitted, I would love to buy a complete system, try it out and get it running properly, then box it up ready as a replacement for when needed. Maybe silly, but I can dream.

What I really want is someone to do an off the shelf, fully modern, ready programmed and mapped system that can be bolted straight on.

Greg
Then maybe you should also keep an eye on Darel! (check out his updates in the Jaguar Engines section)

Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. You can mount them independently.
For setting the ignition timing, look at the marks on your harmonic balancer which is generally located at pulley.
Disconnect the vacuum line going into your distributor's vacuum advance module (if so equipped) and plug the line with an old bolt or a golf tee.
Start the engine and make its speed idle and then shut it off. Connect the timing light to the spark plug wire on No. 1 cylinder.
Start the engine and point the timing light at your harmonic balancer. The light will flash in sync with the spark plug firing on that particular cylinder.
Note the balancer reading to the pointer. On the balancer, there is either a zero mark or the letter TDC.
This reading is nothing but the degrees of advance or retard, depending upon the balancer.
Turn the distributor until the degree reading on the balancer matches the amount of advance or retard specified by Jaguar.
Buy adjusting the amount of air enters into the combustion chamber, you can set the fuelling "on the fly".
You can also know how the complete Ignition System Works.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

J Marshall, thanks for the reply, but in my case it is more the actual fuel maps and ignition timing/ load curve that has me nervous about using any aftermarket system. If I went this way, I would want to have a completely modern system that controlled spark and fuel, and buy it ready mapped.

Greg

Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

HEY,GREG,, i wonder if something like you describe is a valid sales piece??

a complete under the hood(bonnet), replacement system, of the ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM, all wiring looms,harnesses, sensors, plugs, computors, and like you say, completely TUNED AND ADJUSTED for the said engine.

all units could have CERTIFIED TUNER paper work, that was done on a Dyno(rolling road), with side notes of areas of interest during the final testing operations.

i have access to all MODERN equipment and personal, necassary to do such things,AUSTIN TX, has some of the leading USA ,people and laboratories, that do just what you refer to!

BUT!! this type of stuff can and would be expensive, i couldnt even guess how much,
it would take some running around to speak to people i know, and see if i can get estimates and possabilities!

true tho, it wouldnt be just one type of car, many old cars(electronic controlled) suffer from disintergrating wiring, that are not as simple as REAL old cars that were truly simple.

we are seeing an idea from a young ADIN, going thru a metamorphesus, allready!

RON

Old 04-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member

Ronbros

Pretty interesting. It is not for me to give advice to the great Roger Bywater at AJ6 Engineering, but I think the type of thing you outlined would be a very sensible addition to his range. For me, and for most owners I suspect, just a modern system using the same fuelling and ignition/load curve would be fine. No need for extra rolling road work.

All he needs to do is take a modern proprietory setup (eg your SDS, Megasquirt, or whatever) and install the standard fuelling and ignition curves into it, and package up the thing for sale. Even offer the programming as a stand-alone service if a customer buys the required system.

I can clearly remember when E types could hardly be given away. We are now at that point with the XJS. I am not saying that the XJS will get to be as valuable as the E Type, but I am saying it will, in say 10/15 years time, be much more valuable than now. Particularly the V12s.

Essentially, the equivalent of ReOpus for the V12 in the E Type, will be needed for the XJS. The old car business is huge in the UK, really ancient cars are regularly rebuilt and run well. The problem for our cars is going to be dealing with the bits most people cannot fabricate - principally the electronics, I believe.