XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Round Gauge Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Round Gauge Conversion

According to this ten year old post from another forum, it can and has been done. So I am giving it a shot. I might as well stay busy while my car is on the rack.

However, something that would really help are the wiring diagrams mentioned in that thread. Unfortunately, that thread is so old that the images are gone now. Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the pre and post facelift instrument clusters?

It is not very legible, but thanks to google images I have managed to find a thumbnail of the pre facelift one from that post, but it is very low res image:

Old 10-29-2016, 03:02 PM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

Don't fit dash from cars that hadn't been built till long after yours. Go for period upgrades not ford cheap 1992 parts, period accessories with jaguar/smiths gauges give credibility to the owner. And shows his knowledge about the history marque.

Last edited by rgp; 10-29-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:23 PM
rgp
Veteran Member

��

Last edited by rgp; 10-30-2016 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rsmithline (10-30-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

rsmithline,

With the rapidly increasing values of the cars (certainly here in the UK), I'd definitely leave it original. If you do really want to change it, it's easier to do it with the cluster from a Series XJ saloon than the one from a facelift XJS.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by ptjs1; 10-29-2016 at 04:46 PM.
rsmithline (10-30-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 03:43 PM
rgp
Veteran Member

Last edited by rgp; 10-30-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by rgp
If you are interested In proper period parts. Get in touch with myrtle in Kent
Their a bunch of chancers but talk money and they may well build you one. Or i'l do you one for £400 if you supply the instruments
Thanks rgp.

Yes, I spoke to Myrtle about this. They used to offer a turnkey solution for it they sold under the name of Burl Designs (Burl Designs - Triumph - Cars). Here is the ad: http://www.jagweb.com/burl_designs/index3.html

He said he didn't do them anymore due to low demand, but would do a one-off for me. He charged me 200 GBP for it and I have yet to see it after several weeks with no responses to my emails. These guys suck at delivery. No sign of my steering wheel either...

After subsequently talking to him, I am still not sure what I am getting though. It sure didn't sound as plug and play as their ad:

The conversion is available to fit any XJS from 1976 to 1992 and suitable for left and right hand drive. It is supplied as an exchange item for self fitting with snap connectors to plug directly into the wiring loom and requires no special tools.
That is what I expected to get when I ordered it from him. Since talking to him a few weeks later I have my doubts.

Since I still haven't gotten it, maybe they could ship it to you to complete the conversion and make it plug and play. That way we don't have to ship it across the pond three times.

How do you feel about giving them a call on Monday to find out exactly what I am getting and seeing how much more effort is needed to complete it?

I would be glad to ship you an instrument cluster if you couldn't get one locally. I have got one here.

Last edited by rsmithline; 10-30-2016 at 08:18 AM.
rgp (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ptjs1
rsmithline,

With the rapidly increasing values of the cars (certainly here in the UK), I'd definitely leave it original. If you do really want to change it, it's easier to do it with the cluster from a Series XJ saloon than the one from a facelift XJS.

Cheers

Paul
Since my Jag will soon have a Chevy engine in it, I think I am long past any hope of increasing my resale value.

The following 2 users liked this post by rsmithline:
rgp (10-30-2016), ronbros (10-31-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I looked at doing that as well as I prefer the round gauges. I also have sbc so resale not an issue. The problem would be the speedo on pre facelift has a cable and facelift uses electronic signal.
I will watch this thread to see how it progresses

rsmithline (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BC XJS
I looked at doing that as well as I prefer the round gauges. I also have sbc so resale not an issue. The problem would be the speedo on pre facelift has a cable and facelift uses electronic signal.
I will watch this thread to see how it progresses
Yeah, I wish the guy in the post I linked to gave a bit more detail on what he did:

The speedo works ok and rev counter if you have the twin coil set up gets its signal on the V12 from one coil the difference is the red mark on the V12 is six and a half and the six is five and a half I think.
I got two plug adapters made up from a friend of Paul Banham 01843 844962.
Problems are the oil p gauge reads low at tick over was told to fit works resistor made no difference at cruise speeds its ok.
Hazard lights indication on the face lift i believe are on the switch as on the pre face lift on the gauge cluster so just fit a repeater.
The rest works well.
Im no electrician and Im sure there are reasons why it it is not a good idea but it works well and looks nice.

Did this a few years ago now I remember sending the gauge cluster away to the aforementioned phone No where some links were fitted (This guy has a test bed) I got the plugs from two donor cars and he made the cables up fittings the same.
So I suggest you try the no any probs let me know.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a set of round gauges for sale on the treasure coast Florida Craig's list.
No personal interest.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:54 PM
rgp
Veteran Member

I got mine in about 1998 but it has gone throu a few incarnations with instruments and style, I finished up with new series 3 speedo and rev counter as its the only option there is if you want to see the indicator warning light, straight swap on an 84 all electronic

Originally Posted by rsmithline
Thanks rgp.

Yes, I spoke to Myrtle about this. They used to offer a turnkey solution for it they sold under the name of Burl Designs (Burl Designs - Triumph - Cars). Here is the ad: http://www.jagweb.com/burl_designs/index3.html

He said he didn't do them anymore due to low demand, but would do a one-off for me. He charged me 200 GBP for it and I have yet to see it after several weeks with no responses to my emails. These guys suck at delivery. No sign of my steering wheel either...

After subsequently talking to him, I am still not sure what I am getting though. It sure didn't sound as plug and play as their ad:
The conversion is available to fit any XJS from 1976 to 1992 and suitable for left and right hand drive. It is supplied as an exchange item for self fitting with snap connectors to plug directly into the wiring loom and requires no special tools.
That is what I expected to get when I ordered it from him. Since talking to him a few weeks later I have my doubts.

Since I still haven't gotten it, maybe they could ship it to you to complete the conversion and make it plug and play. That way we don't have to ship it across the pond three times.

How do you feel about giving them a call on Monday to find out exactly what I am getting and seeing how much more effort is needed to complete it?

I would be glad to ship you an instrument cluster if you couldn't get one locally. I have got one here.

Attached Thumbnails Round Gauge Conversion-26122014012.jpg  

Last edited by rgp; 10-31-2016 at 08:15 AM.
rsmithline (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 07:35 AM

Back to my original question...Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for the pre and post facelift instrument clusters?

No matter which way I solve this, and I will, those would really come in handy.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:24 AM
rgp
Veteran Member

At £200 you wont get instruments as that's going to be £200 just for the 2" smiths ones.
+ speedo and rev counter from a series 3, but you should get the necessary wiring to plug in to your existing instrument wiring. here is a picture of the type of instruments you will need,

Attached Thumbnails Round Gauge Conversion-img027.jpg  

Last edited by rgp; 10-31-2016 at 08:58 AM.
rsmithline (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Rex, are you saying that XJ Series III instruments, plus their backing thingy (the equivalent of the XJS blue flexible circuit board) will plug straight into the XJS's two big oblong instrument loom plugs and the instruments, warning lights, etc etc will all work?
greg

Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 AM
rgp
Veteran Member

Series111 160 mph speedo rev counter and smith 2" supplementary instruments had wiring and plugs going to them (or the ones for this job do) they would all have to be spliced into the xjs harness. As myrtle will no longer supply the socket they used to make. You would also need a stabilizer for 2 of them. the ones I used were these, pic is before it was refurbed and zero'd

Attached Thumbnails Round Gauge Conversion-xj12.jpg  

Last edited by rgp; 10-31-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Greg in France (11-01-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 05:29 PM

Ok, I just spent a half hour on the phone with Paul from Myrtle and have a lot more clarity on this conversion.

First of all, what I am getting is basically a round dial housing for the XJS. It will basically look like a facelift housing with a real wood veneer trim (EDIT: not exactly like a facelift housing; it is designed for the XJ6 guages with the warning lights in the middle). That is it; that is all I am getting. A bit expensive at 200 GBP, but the wood veneer isn't cheap I suppose.

To complete the conversion, I will need the gauges from a mid 80s Series III XJ6 as both rgp and pstj1 mentioned. While the instrument cluster of the facelift models looks the same as the pre-facelift, it is an optical illusion. The gauges are almost impossible to port over according to Paul without an insane amount of work.

You need a Series III XJ6 cluster to work since it is all electronic like the pre-facelift as rgp mentioned. To say it is cluster is a bit of a misnomer though; there is no cluster. I had to buy an entire dash to get the gauges. According to Paul, another advantage of this option is that the gauges are in their own housing and easier to port. The facelift cluster gauges are naked and just have their face pressed against the wood facia.

This is what I just bought:

I now own three clusters...my pre-facelift one, a facelift one, and an XJ6 one. I will report my progress. I am going to talk to my mechanic and see what he thinks about wiring up the new gauges.

Last edited by rsmithline; 10-31-2016 at 06:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rsmithline:
BC XJS (11-04-2016), Greg in France (11-01-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by rgp
At £200 you wont get instruments as that's going to be £200 just for the 2" smiths ones.
+ speedo and rev counter from a series 3, but you should get the necessary wiring to plug in to your existing instrument wiring. here is a picture of the type of instruments you will need,
rgp, how do they look at night? Have you converted them to LED?

Old 11-01-2016, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by rgp
Series111 160 mph speedo rev counter and smith 2" supplementary instruments had wiring and plugs going to them (or the ones for this job do) they would all have to be spliced into the xjs harness. As myrtle will no longer supply the socket they used to make. You would also need a stabilizer for 2 of them. the ones I used were these, pic is before it was refurbed and zero'd
Thanks Rex. What is a stabiliser, please?
Greg

Old 11-01-2016, 03:17 AM
rgp
Veteran Member

The smiths gauges are 10 volt so it stops them flickering about without it they would over estimate. Its quite an obtainable cheap thing all these slow moving gauges have stabilizer. That 140 mph speedo and rev counter look like xj6 and may not be good in a v12 though. Look ok in green leds

Last edited by rgp; 11-01-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Greg in France (11-01-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:31 PM

Ok, I am going in a whole new direction here. The conversion just seems way too complicated to make work the way I want it to. I am going to install aftermarket electronic gauges that should hook up quite easily, especially in my LS3.

There are certainly lots of places that sell modern electronic 2 1/16" gauges with a proper period look, so the small ones shouldn't be a problem. However, the speedo and the tach are 100 mm. Actually, 98 mm to be exact. Needless to say this is not a standard size. Does anyone know where to find a 3.94" speedo and tach?

ronbros (11-05-2016)