XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Saw an XJS Today! The First One I've Seen In 5 Years!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Paul,

Definitely saw a dark blue one and that was the the one that hadn't broken-down! Think I was on the A251 heading away from Faversham.

Keep a look-out for my Brooklands Green 1991 V12 as I try and take that to work whenever I manage to prise the keys away from my wife. It's very noisy and has had a manual gearbox conversion.

Roy

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,998 Likes on 1,992 Posts

Roy,

Manual V12? Lovely! I'll definitely look out (and listen) for it!

Paul

orangeblossom (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,767 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by chriskindbooks
Well said Orangeblossom. I had family(now passed on) who's garage complimented several classics of various makes and models. There were three Countaches, one Maserati Ghibli ,one Merak, Mistral and the 3500 GT. I got to drive most all of them. I have been to Borgo San Lorenzo and my ears are still wringing from the whine of the Ferrari's and that was five years ago. Everybody's pallet is different when it comes to the classics. Give me a well maintained XJS over all of the above for our Canadian Highways, that includes most all US muscle cars. The E Type comes in a close second, but the ribbon goes to the XJS.
How will I get through the Winter without driving my XJS!

Last night it got a bit 'Chilly' which gave me the chance to try out my new Sheepskin coat.

Also got one for the GF and last night we went for a drive just before it got dark with the Top down.

The Autmn leaves were falling and the wind was starting to blow but even so it felt just like a magic carpet ride.

Driving this Car is like a drug and even in the Winter, I don't think that I will survive without the occasional fix if we get some nice days.

chriskindbooks (10-07-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=LuvmyXJS';1073516]
Originally Posted by ronbros
if the Jaguar XJS was a truly extra special car it would be worth more money.

If you go back to the 70's you would find people saying the very same thing about E types, TR6's and just about any muscle car from the 60's.

Do I think the XJS will ever be as coveted as say a E type or a XK150 for example, No I do not but let's look at the landscape of what you can buy if say you have $10,000 to spend on a classic car. Not too many classics are available at $ 10,000 or less and turn key at that.

I bought the XJS because the E types and all the other older Jag sports cars are out of reach now, but as the saying goes " a strange thing happened ", I really LUV my XJS'. I realized what a great value this car is that I went out and bought a second one so I did not feel like I would ever be separated from my XJS for even a month.

Simply put I figured it was cheaper to go buy another one at today's prices vs. worrying about having someone hit my first XJS and putting me out of commission. That is how much I LUV this car. Crazy but they just grow on you.

Would I love having a E type or Aston Martin in my garage, you bet I would but for the money to me the XJS cannot be beat and now I cannot imagine not having at least one XJS in the garage. Just have not come across anything for what I have into my XJS' that gives me every thing this classic gives back.
Absolutely agree with that, the XJS is the gift that keeps on giving and as you no doubt know by now, I also suffer from the 'Spare Car Syndrome!'

What seems to hold the price back is the way they love a drink of Petrol!

together with the problems unsorted Cars can have.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Dont get me wrong, I love my car but I drove my friends V8 vantage a couple weeks ago and it was awesome. Fast and great handling. I would trade it in a minute if I could work on it myself or afford the maintenance. I like the fact I repair and maintain my car. I get a feeling of closeness with my car while Im working on it. Zen like.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bc xj:
orangeblossom (10-07-2014), ronbros (10-08-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
Dont get me wrong, I love my car but I drove my friends V8 vantage a couple weeks ago and it was awesome. Fast and great handling. I would trade it in a minute if I could work on it myself or afford the maintenance. I like the fact I repair and maintain my car. I get a feeling of closeness with my car while Im working on it. Zen like.
While it may be faster or handle better than an XJS and have the James Bond thing all going on.

It really isn't the kind of Car that I could fall in love with, it just doesn't do it for me, especially considering the price tag!

Though when I first saw my XJS

It was love at first sight 'I had to have it'

I'm obviously not alone in this, as despite the many problems that we seem to experience with these Cars, none of us seem to be swayed by taking the soft option

of buying a much more modern and reliable Sports Car.

Now I've got her Sorted thanks to 'Greg in France' and others, I know that I've finally found the 'Love of my life'

Daim (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
While it may be faster or handle better than an XJS and have the James Bond thing all going on.

It really isn't the kind of Car that I could fall in love with, it just doesn't do it for me, especially considering the price tag!

Though when I first saw my XJS

It was love at first sight 'I had to have it'

I'm obviously not alone in this, as despite the many problems that we seem to experience with these Cars, none of us seem to be swayed by taking the soft option

of buying a much more modern and reliable Sports Car.

Now I've got her Sorted thanks to 'Greg in France' and others, I know that I've finally found the 'Love of my life'
As I saw my first XJ-S, which would be around 1990 as I was 4 years old and lived in Lowestoft (UK), I instantly fell in love with the styling, the looks, the sound, the class. I only had that feeling again, as I saw my Volvo C30 in 2007 and bought it a few months later...

I can't say that any Aston Martin causes the same feeling. The only modern day car I would say would get close, is the last Saab 9-5... No other car on the market, classable as a 'budget' supersportscar, would get anywhere near the XJ-S.

Call me oldfashioned, but an engine designed for torque and refinement, easy able to maintain high speeds coupled to a primitiv automatic is the best combination possible... Any 'screaming' car, like Ferraris, Lambos, Astons and co, don't appeal to me.

The following 3 users liked this post by Daim:
1100me (10-08-2014), chriskindbooks (10-08-2014), orangeblossom (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
As I saw my first XJ-S, which would be around 1990 as I was 4 years old and lived in Lowestoft (UK), I instantly fell in love with the styling, the looks, the sound, the class. I only had that feeling again, as I saw my Volvo C30 in 2007 and bought it a few months later...

I can't say that any Aston Martin causes the same feeling. The only modern day car I would say would get close, is the last Saab 9-5... No other car on the market, classable as a 'budget' supersportscar, would get anywhere near the XJ-S.

Call me oldfashioned, but an engine designed for torque and refinement, easy able to maintain high speeds coupled to a primitiv automatic is the best combination possible... Any 'screaming' car, like Ferraris, Lambos, Astons and co, don't appeal to me.
Agree with you on that Daim

I don't like the Astons styling at all, its too round, too tall and too

bulbous, any more than I like the styling of the XKR.

The XJS is the only one that looks like a Classic Sports Car.

chriskindbooks (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Maybe I am also just too old fashioned. It seems the roar of the Ferrari/ Lambo and several others on the market are nothing more than attention getters, wishing to make a statement with the wine of an exhaust. Just put the ''peddle to the metal'' and listen to the V12 come alive with balance, contact, control, relaxation rhythm, suppleness, straightness. All of this with the quite, sleek, movements of a true Jaguar. This vehicle is legion in my library.

orangeblossom (10-09-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

As much as I like having and driving a convertible as a special car I have to say I really like the Aston DB9 coupe. That car just looks right to my eye and I love the sound of the V12 exhaust on it. Of course when I price them out I just cannot justify spending that kind of coin on one.

To me what really stands out about the XJS is the overall sophistication and unique styling at such a great entry level price. The fact that the XJS was made for so many years and comes as both a coupe and convertible with the V12 and 6 is just icing on the cake.

All I know is my XJS' just put a smile on my face and it makes me feel like its Christmas every time I see one out being driven. I hope every one gets to feel that way no matter what car you fancy.

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
orangeblossom (10-09-2014), ronbros (10-11-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
As much as I like having and driving a convertible as a special car I have to say I really like the Aston DB9 coupe. That car just looks right to my eye and I love the sound of the V12 exhaust on it. Of course when I price them out I just cannot justify spending that kind of coin on one.

To me what really stands out about the XJS is the overall sophistication and unique styling at such a great entry level price. The fact that the XJS was made for so many years and comes as both a coupe and convertible with the V12 and 6 is just icing on the cake.

All I know is my XJS' just put a smile on my face and it makes me feel like its Christmas every time I see one out being driven. I hope every one gets to feel that way no matter what car you fancy.
The DB9 looks similar to an XKR and so as far as the Styling goes I don't like either one of them.

They are so far away from the XJS that its Crazy to try and compare them.

As in the looks department, the XJS is out there on its own.

Greg in France (10-11-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chriskindbooks
Maybe I am also just too old fashioned. It seems the roar of the Ferrari/ Lambo and several others on the market are nothing more than attention getters, wishing to make a statement with the wine of an exhaust. Just put the ''peddle to the metal'' and listen to the V12 come alive with balance, contact, control, relaxation rhythm, suppleness, straightness. All of this with the quite, sleek, movements of a true Jaguar. This vehicle is legion in my library.
'They don't make em like this anymore' Is a Tag that happily applies to the XJS

It's a True Iconic Classic and as such a very individual Car, everything about it looks just right and as far as the Styling goes, there isn't anything that I would alter.

Apart from the Interior which I feel would look much better with round gauges.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

'They don't make em like this anymore' Is a Tag that happily applies to the XJS

It's a True Iconic Classic and as such a very individual Car, everything about it looks just right and as far as the Styling goes, there isn't anything that I would alter.

Apart from the Interior which I feel would look much better with round gauges.
Some nice Smith gauges would be nice... But I still like the dials in the prefacelift models. They do have some style too... British Leyland style to be precise!

orangeblossom (10-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Some nice Smith gauges would be nice... But I still like the dials in the prefacelift models. They do have some style too... British Leyland style to be precise!
Round Smiths gauges, would really be the icing on the Cake.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,188 Likes on 5,402 Posts

Round Smiths gauges, would really be the icing on the Cake.
OB
Apostasy, Apostasy. Ye shalt not stray from the path of true belief!

The barrel minor gauges are one of the finest XJS touches! Everyone who rides in my car who has never seen them before loves them. They were developed from aircraft principles, apparently. The idea being that you only had to glance at them as a group, and if they were all in line you knew all was well ! Remember this was from an era where high speeds were still thought to be a good idea...

Greg

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Flint Ironstag (10-10-2014), orangeblossom (10-10-2014), ronbros (10-10-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB
Apostasy, Apostasy. Ye shalt not stray from the path of true belief!

The barrel minor gauges are one of the finest XJS touches! Everyone who rides in my car who has never seen them before loves them. They were developed from aircraft principles, apparently. The idea being that you only had to glance at them as a group, and if they were all in line you knew all was well ! Remember this was from an era where high speeds were still thought to be a good idea...

Greg
Hi Greg

I never thought of it quite like that, so I will hold my hands up and admit that I was wrong!

Greg in France (10-11-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

had the exact same experience, had to be around 87 or 88. and i was 9 or 10. bought my xjs nearly 2 years ago.

i live in nyc, and she lives street parked in manhattan (ssshhhhh, no flames please). believe it or not, there is another xjs that is also street parked in the same neighborhood. i always slow down when i see it parked to maybe catch a glimpse of the owner.

last week, drove to philly to work in our office there. parked in the bellvue hotel parking lot, where there was a beautifully maintained white facelift convertible with what looked like 16 inch chrome spoked wheels. put my knicked up brg paint to shame.

every once in a while i'll have my gf drive me to work in it. and i have to just stand on the sidewalk and watch as she drives up 6th ave out of sight. its a great looking car and looks like nothing else on the road.

The following 3 users liked this post by DrScientist:
Greg in France (10-11-2014), orangeblossom (10-12-2014), ronbros (10-11-2014)