XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Seat Belt and Trim Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Seat Belt and Trim Removal

Question: Can someone let me know how to take the trim off from around the seat belt mouse runner areas?

Background
: In case anyone noticed, I've been tackling the "little" problems on Morris this season.

Hint: there are never, ever any "little" problems.

So I'm trying to decide if it's worth my time fixing the passenger mouse belt or replacing it with a standard belt. I had a passenger of the female persuasion in Morris yesterday, and it was embarrassing in that the belt is stuck. Fortunately, it is stuck in the driving position, but she still had to pull it on and off.

My issue right now is how to remove the trim around it. Most other cars I've had the trim was held in place by push-pins. Maybe this one is too, maybe not. I don't want to chance that it's not and end up breaking it. Can someone let me know how to take the trim off from around the seat belt mouse runner areas?

Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Only because nobody else has chimed in.......

My recollection is that the trim can be levered/pried off with whatever flat tool you deem appropriate. I don't recall pins or screws.

I do recall that the trim has some spring metal clips.

It's been a few years. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

There are a few clips in the back after the b post but everything before that is just a rubber shaped to sort of snap over the rail, it is continuous from the A pillar to the roof and gets a bit smaller on the roof line to the b pillar.

Mine was damaged upon removal (i didnt remove it) and I cannot get it to stay back in place.

I'm pretty sure this is more work than you think, but if you can find spares go for it. You need to replace both of those trim pieces, get ahold a seat belt assembly for both sides, and I think the trim panel with the armest and speaker in it may need to be replaced.

there is a LIFETIME WARRANTY on fixing these from Jaguar. my closest dealership is 3 hours away so I havent had them fixed, but if you live anywhere near one they will fix it for you free.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:51 PM

I went to the Jaguar dealer and asked them to fix it. Their reply was "Let us be honest with you, we don't have the parts and no one makes them any more." From what I've read on other places, it's seems to be quite true. So lifetime warranty or not, it sounds like dealers can't/won't fix the seat belts.

So, I need to either try fixing them myself or, preferably, replace them with manual seat belts. I'm just really worried that I will break the trim pieces, as past experiences from taking them off on other cars often results in them breaking somewhere.

So do I just take a flat screwdriver and snap them off? Do I start at the front, back, middle? Aside from the trim piece that runs along the top of the door, what else do I need to remove to remove the automatic seat belt system?

Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Im gonna say judging by how mine fell off by themselves, that it is easiest to start at the back where the trim pops off and work your way up. After the b post you will be peeling it away. Just try to pull as parallel as you can or pull from the edge of the trim, resist the urge to pull back and away at the rest of it (perpendicular).

I haven't taken the tracks off or anything before, but judging by the seats you may need a torx set. scratch that, you DO need one because the seat belts are attached on either side of the bottom of the seat. To remove the belt itself you need to remove the seat

Old 03-25-2014, 09:38 PM

Soooo, I managed to remove the trim without breaking anything. To people removing it in the future, it's not hard plastic as I thought. Actually, it's sort of rubbery and flexible. It's held in the back by two push-pins that simply pull out. After the B-pillar, the rubber is sort of a "C" that clamps around the pillar, just needs to pry it off from the top or bottom, and not simply pull it straight off.

And then, of course, I ran into my next problem. The motor piece is under the rear armrest, the part that hold the rear passenger speaker. I don't see any bolts or screws holding the rear armrest on. How the heck does it come off? My Jaguar-sense is telling me that the whole rear seat HAS TO COME OUT. Please tell me I'm wrong, though I have a feeling I'm not. It's ok, though. My previous car was a tiny little Ford Festiva, and it was the same deal whenever some work had to be done.

Eh, miss that little white Ford Festiva. Well, sometimes I do.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar seatbelt lifetime warranty voided by lawsuit.

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
There are a few clips in the back after the b post but everything before that is just a rubber shaped to sort of snap over the rail, it is continuous from the A pillar to the roof and gets a bit smaller on the roof line to the b pillar.

Mine was damaged upon removal (i didnt remove it) and I cannot get it to stay back in place.

I'm pretty sure this is more work than you think, but if you can find spares go for it. You need to replace both of those trim pieces, get ahold a seat belt assembly for both sides, and I think the trim panel with the armest and speaker in it may need to be replaced.

there is a LIFETIME WARRANTY on fixing these from Jaguar. my closest dealership is 3 hours away so I havent had them fixed, but if you live anywhere near one they will fix it for you free.
The so-called lifetime warranty was voided by a court decision to protect ford from liability when ford had purchased Jaguar from Daimler. (So this warranty no longer exists!) However, the retractable seatbelt electrical motors are indeed rebuildable and I for one can do the work on fixing a xj40/xj6 series 4 89-95. Personal contact information deleted.

Last edited by Don B; 08-20-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:38 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris A. Curry
The so-called lifetime warranty was voided by a court decision to protect ford from liability when ford had purchased Jaguar from Daimler. (So this warranty no longer exists!) However, the retractable seatbelt electrical motors are indeed rebuildable and I for one can do the work on fixing a xj40/xj6 series 4 89-95. Personal contact information deleted.
Hi Chris,

I have deleted your personal contact information from you post. Also, if you wish to promote your business here, please contact Internet Brands about becoming a paid forum sponsor.

Note that the thread to which you replied has had no activity in over six years.

Jaguar was never owned by Daimler. Instead, Jaguar purchased Daimler from BSA in 1960. Jaguar was spun off from British Leyland in 1984 and was subsequently purchased by Ford, with the sale completed in 1990. The limited lifetime warranty on seat belts was issued in 1994, or four years after the Ford purchase, so as far as we are aware, the idea that this warranty was vacated by a court to protect Ford is inaccurate. See the attached documents.

At least one of our members has received help from a Jaguar dealership in repairing the warranted seat belts within the past couple of years, and if you search the forums you are likely to find his report. The main problem seems to be that some of the parts are no longer available, and some dealerships will claim the warranty is no longer valid. But apparently some Jaguar dealerships will attempt to honor the lifetime warranty if the necessary parts are still available.

Cheers,

Don

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
76-91 Motorized Seat Belts.pdf (547.9 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Don B; 08-20-2020 at 10:42 AM.