XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Seat Covers or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Seat Covers or Not?

There is nothing quite like slinking into the cream leather hide of my XJS but I sometimes wonder if maybe I ought to buy seat covers.

The only thing that stops me is that it does seem pointless in having luxury seats if you don't enjoy them.

In any event I always lay a piece of lint cloth on the seat before I get it, a bit of a compromise I know but it works for me.

I am already starting to think that I am becoming so obsessed with keeping my car pristine, that I am not enjoying driving it as much as I used to.

Idiot drivers tailgating me and trying to burn me off.

Dorks who like to park too close.

Or people who think it's quite ok to sit on the wing of your car when they're talking to you.

Some of the girls I've taken out think I'm being nuts for going to a restaurant then driving off again, in the event that I can't find a safe place to park.

Maybe they do have a point but my XJS is my passion and they just don't make these great cars anymore.

What do you guys think?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

This is an age-old problem. Personally, I would never drive my XJS while on a date. That car is mine, not ours. If my date doesn't like me when I'm driving an ordinary car (my everyday Tacoma), then we'll never get to the point where she has an opportunity to sit on my Jag's wing, "greatest-crumpet-collector"-image or no (yes, that term was meant for the E-Type).

My XJS is my special treat for me, not for anyone else. No one will love that car the way I do, and I would never expect them to understand.

If I understand correctly, your enjoyment of your car is hampered by your desire to keep it pristine--yes? If that's so, seat-covers are the way to go. You don't have to explain anything to anyone, just do what it takes for you to enjoy the car.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Now her I wouldn't mind!!!!

Jag bonnets are great for..............!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts
Old 02-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

While I love your style, these advertising gurus have no imagination, as for me the slogan has to be: 'XJS The Car That Snaps Knicker Elastic!'

Come on Guys lets think up some more Slogans!

Which is one of the reasons that I do like to like to use the XJS for some occasional dating.

Call me shallow if you want but I am certainly not adverse to having a 'Trophy Girlfriend' on the passenger seat. (that's not a euphemism by the way!)

I'm not into long term relationships as regardless of whether She loves me or not, they are just too much hard work, so unless the 'right one' comes along I much prefer to be single and do what I want.

So if one wants me to 'Wife her up' then She will have to prove that 'She' is worth it and not the other way round, as one way or another, they are all after something, so in that respect I know how the game is played.

So if I take a date out for a meal, I always check out for safe parking places and if they are not available, then I take the Merc (my everyday ride)

Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Anjum

Nice though a bit overdressed but I get the idea!

Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mkii250
This is an age-old problem. Personally, I would never drive my XJS while on a date. That car is mine, not ours. If my date doesn't like me when I'm driving an ordinary car (my everyday Tacoma), then we'll never get to the point where she has an opportunity to sit on my Jag's wing, "greatest-crumpet-collector"-image or no (yes, that term was meant for the E-Type).

My XJS is my special treat for me, not for anyone else. No one will love that car the way I do, and I would never expect them to understand.

If I understand correctly, your enjoyment of your car is hampered by your desire to keep it pristine--yes? If that's so, seat-covers are the way to go. You don't have to explain anything to anyone, just do what it takes for you to enjoy the car.
I don't want to be pedantic but we might as well have it right

The strap line for the 'e type' was:

'The Greatest Crumpet Catcher Known To Man'

Which was attributed to US Journalist Henry Manney

Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Cars can be repaired. If you are so concerned about the car being damaged, stop driving it.
Get on with life, enjoy using the car for the purpose it was designed: driving.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Eh, not so much on the repairs.

I got into a minor fender bender and the car was immediately totaled by the insurance company.

HOWEVER

They are cheap enough to find another.

I made $2k and I set my odometer back by 27,000 miles, so it wasn't a total disaster.

In any case, drive it. Drive it until the wheels fall off. That's what its made for. Enjoy it. Eventually you can think back and tell kids that you drove an XJS for a while. Right now all you can say is that you owned an XJS for a while.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by anjum
If not for the fact I was 4 or 5 when that song came out I would have had that XJ12, big hair and a co-pilot that looked like that!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

The seat covers:

I had always vowed to never cover any leather seats because I think it's in bad taste and if God forbid, something happens to me , it will be someone else enjoying the seats I lovingly cared for.,,,,-HOWEVER-,I just installed new leather seats on my XJS, and I found some vinyl at the upholstery store that is identical in colour to the leather.. I intend to make or have made a cover that covers the entire "seat" area where your bottom goes and only 1/2 of the "back" area, where your belt rub against it as you slide in and out.That way at least my upper back and head are enjoying the real stuff. No such protection is necessary for my passenger seat.

But I understand being paranoid. Ever since Vee's car got rear-ended I have been even worse. My Jags where my grandfathers so there is that emotional attachment as well. Thing is if I am scared someone is going to rear end me all the time looking at the rearview mirror, I am going to end up rear ending someone myself!!! I try to walk the line between treating and making sure my car looks like a trailer queen and driving her like I would any other car.