XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Shift lock solenoid-95 XJS 4.0 vert

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 03:43 PM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Shift lock solenoid-95 XJS 4.0 vert

Does anybody know where the shift lock solenoid is? Is it under the ski slope panel somewhere?

I have not used the car all that much since I bought in back in Dec last year. When I went to move it a couple of days ago, I noticed the distinct clunking of the solenoid to release the shift lever from Park and when I would apply the brake, it would not actuate all the time. Once I worked the brake pedal several times, it seemed to be ok after that. Today, I took it for a little drive after doing a throttle body cleaning and stopped for a few minutes, shut off the car and restarted it 15 minutes later. I could not hear the solenoid this time and the Shift lever would not budge from Park. Of course, I did not bring my tool kit on my quick test drive today and without a #1 Phillips, could not get the shift bezel removed to access the manual release slot. My son arrived with the tool bag and I was able to insert a tool to release the catch and drive home.
Is the solenoid where the catch is, just under the shift lever? I suppose it could be the solenoid or the brake switch. I cannot see the brake switch from under the dash. Is there a specific switch for the release solenoid or is it the same switch as the brake light? Is there a relay that works the solenoid betrween the brake switch and the solenoid?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by carsnplanes; 03-25-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

The solenoid should be mounted on the gearshift assembly, #12 in this illustration

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...-from-v-185820

Sometimes they just die, sometimes they're just sticky and need exercise

My experience is with a 1995 XJR but I suspect the XJS is wired the same way. The XJR solenoid was activated by the brake light switch. If the brake lights don't operate, well, there's a clue. I recall a relay in the circuit but can't say for sure.

Also, there's a 'not in park' switch that prevents the solenoid from operating unless the gearshift is in "P". If this switch was faulty it could prevent the solenoid from operating

Someone with XJS-specific input will come along

Cheers
DD

Old 03-25-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
The solenoid should be mounted on the gearshift assembly, #12 in this illustration

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...-from-v-185820

Sometimes they just die, sometimes they're just sticky and need exercise

My experience is with a 1995 XJR but I suspect the XJS is wired the same way. The XJR solenoid was activated by the brake light switch. If the brake lights don't operate, well, there's a clue. I recall a relay in the circuit but can't say for sure.

Also, there's a 'not in park' switch that prevents the solenoid from operating unless the gearshift is in "P". If this switch was faulty it could prevent the solenoid from operating

Someone with XJS-specific input will come along

Cheers
DD
Thanks. I was able to dig into the lever assembly by taking off the ski slope. There I found the solenoid. Regarding the "Not in Park switch, it appears that it is only for the start circuit, not the interlock. Not in Park disables the starter in any position other than Park. I pressed on the switch while working the brake and the solenoid still pulls even when not in park, so basically, it seems to pull anytime you activate the brake but only does its releasing job when in Park position. Also, I see the shift control module/relay is also mounted on the lever assembly. Could that relay or module be lazy?..., or should I just suspect the solenoid only. There will be times that I'll hold the brake pedal down and wait and eventually the solenoid will pull. Other times it never does. I haven't had anybody look at the brake lights when I depress the pedal so I can't confirm if the pedal is working the light correctly. Lazy brake pedal switch?
By the way, where is the brake pedal switch? A quick look under the dash does not reveal an exposed switch mounted where I would normally see one.
Thanks

Last edited by carsnplanes; 03-26-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:36 AM
Received 10,290 Likes on 6,810 Posts

Many age related things getingiffy, sadly.

Both my X300's had issues here, and I simply removed the solenoid and latch, no more guess work.

YES

I understand the reasons for it being there, and dont really disagree, but NO ONE is in my car without me, and certainly NOT kids or animals, problem solved.

The Black S Type is also having a female moment with that interlock, so come Easter, it will be removed.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Many age related things getingiffy, sadly.

Both my X300's had issues here, and I simply removed the solenoid and latch, no more guess work.

YES

I understand the reasons for it being there, and dont really disagree, but NO ONE is in my car without me, and certainly NOT kids or animals, problem solved.

The Black S Type is also having a female moment with that interlock, so come Easter, it will be removed.
Well...that is something I had not thought of! Removing it altogether! I think you have just solved my problem! I thank you for that!