XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Thanks to many. Purists don't look

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks to many. Purists don't look

Electric fan, GM alternator in air pump bracket, Air pump removal. It started with a leaking radiator and I decided to make the modifications along with replacing all the fuel lines, cooling hoses, thermostats and new plugs/wires.

Used the cooling fan from Jagzilla. Wired the alternator and did the engine to chassis ground per Grant Francis. Pulled the air pump with help from many on that thread. Several times throughout the project I would stop and search the forum. My father was a little jealous. He had to work on his 74' XJ12L when there wasn't the internet.

Now I'm pulling off the dash to exorcise the electrical mess and air control problems from the PO. Everywhere I have been fixing there has been someone there before me and I keep scratching my head and saying, why?

Attached Thumbnails Thanks to many. Purists don't look-img_20131211_211928.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Looks good. That fan should be more than enough for you up in Ohio, because mine has always kept things plenty cool for me down here during the long, hot, Mississippi Summers.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Peel86XJS
Now I'm pulling off the dash to exorcise the electrical mess and air control problems from the PO. Everywhere I have been fixing there has been someone there before me and I keep scratching my head and saying, why?

Botched repairs can be a real mess to figure out and correct.

Beyond that.....

I work on many cars that have been treated to some nicely done wiring repairs and/or modifications but have a devil of a time figuring out what exactly was done and the rationale behind it.

I've often had a silly dream about how nice it would be if everyone would leave a note behind......

"I rewired the truncator circuit by bypassing the turbo encabsulator relay. This allows to truncator to work whenever the key is 'on'. The blue wires are abandoned. Follow the yellow wires"

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (12-13-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

My DPO "hot wired" my fog lights direct with no relay or fuse, got what I thought was steam coming out of the hood seam on the way to work one morning and I figured I was overheating, gauge looked fine so I pulled over, popped the bonnet and looked to see a bald scorched wire had "burnt/sliced" it's way up through the loom, the only thing that stopped it was the bulkhead plug/connector. AAAHHHH, gott'a love DPO's (damn previous owners)

Old 12-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Good job. Once you sort all the problems she will be a GREAT car, keep up the good work

Old 12-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Don't worry about the purists...... the mods look sound and I'm sure make the car better.

Good luck with the dash removal..... thats fun

Old 12-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
rewired the truncator circuit by bypassing the turbo encabsulator relay. This allows to truncator to work whenever the key is 'on'. The blue wires are abandoned. Follow the yellow wire

No more red cordial for you. LOL

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2013, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Peel86XJS
The OEM connectors in the dash loom are pretty good. The most important thing, I found when I had my dash off, is to separate each one and clean it very carefully with aerosol electrical connector cleaner and scrub the contacts with the cleaner using a "brass toothbrush" or similar implement. Secondly all the earths need rubbing down to bare metal (body and loom connector) and reconnecting and then protecting with grease or similar.

There are earths on the body vertical strengtheners each side of the aircon unit, on the tunnel LHS and various other places I have no doubt forgotten. Also, it is worth undoing the battery live feed posts (they go through the firewall each side of the aircon unit to supply power to the cabin and the engine bay) and cleaning them up and their associated connectors.

Also you will find there are rubber grommets for the aircon drains and the speedo signal which can easily be replaced once the tunnel and dash are out. If, like me, you are a nutter for these things, you can run a couple of extra wires from the engine bay into the cabin at the same time (just to have them there in case you decide you need them later). For example, I have a warning light for when my main fan is on*, plus a manual main fan switch if I want to switch on the main rad fan (or the thermostatic switch fails).

* boast alert Because my home designed fan chassis is so well rubber-damped it is impossible to tell if the fan is running or not from inside the car!

Greg

Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarc
Don't worry about the purists...... the mods look sound and I'm sure make the car better.

Good luck with the dash removal..... thats fun

I changed out the ignition switches recently, that was all I wanted!