XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Tower that holds pressure switch and sender broke

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Done! Tower that holds pressure switch and sender broke

To all,

Project complete as of last evening! As I mentioned in an earlier post, the plan was to use rubber hoses to complete the connection of the oil lines. We followed that plan out of necessity on the line coming from the oil filter area, but came up with a better design on the cam lines.

After carefully, and I mean carefully, measuring the required gap before cutting with a rotary cutter with a 90 degree attachment, we used 3/16 in.compression fittings to complete the new and improved lines. I repeat that proper measring and planning was everything. We then tightened everything up, installed the new oil pressure switch and gauge sending units and fired her up. Perfect pressure and no leaks.

With that said, the total time spent on what should have been a simple job was maybe 20 hours total and about $200 bucks on the sending units, new oil lines, and various parts. I took a few pictures, but given the location of the repairs, it was difficult to see what was done.

In closing, the Jag may have used one of its nine lives on this one, but, on the bright side, I have eight more to go.

Thanks again to everyone who supported me on the "interesting" project.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,126 Likes on 5,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagxjs
To all,

Project complete as of last evening! As I mentioned in an earlier post, the plan was to use rubber hoses to complete the connection of the oil lines. We followed that plan out of necessity on the line coming from the oil filter area, but came up with a better design on the cam lines.

After carefully, and I mean carefully, measuring the required gap before cutting with a rotary cutter with a 90 degree attachment, we used 3/16 in.compression fittings to complete the new and improved lines. I repeat that proper measring and planning was everything. We then tightened everything up, installed the new oil pressure switch and gauge sending units and fired her up. Perfect pressure and no leaks.

With that said, the total time spent on what should have been a simple job was maybe 20 hours total and about $200 bucks on the sending units, new oil lines, and various parts. I took a few pictures, but given the location of the repairs, it was difficult to see what was done.

In closing, the Jag may have used one of its nine lives on this one, but, on the bright side, I have eight more to go.

Thanks again to everyone who supported me on the "interesting" project.
Congratulations. Not used up a life, given it a 10th. Post the pics anyway, please. Suffering from Bronchitis this end, so this is most cheering news to read for the housebound.

Did you use solid replacement lines with the compression fittings? Or manage to join the broken originals with them? Or some mixture of solid and rubber?

Greg

The following users liked this post:
Jagxjs (02-01-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 AM
Received 10,340 Likes on 6,841 Posts

Also good news to hear.

Glad to always hear of a plan that simply comes together in the end, most satisfying.

Jagxjs (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Did you use solid replacement lines with the compression fittings? Or manage to join the broken originals with them? Or some mixture of solid and rubber?"

Greg,

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well and I hope you are back on your feet quickly. With regard to your question above, we cut the existing cam oil lines and the cam lines coming from the new part so that we left a gap of 5/8 in. The metal compression fitting filled that void for a perfect, leak-proof fit. For the main oil line coming from the filter area, the gap was much larger (hard to find enough straight pipe for a metal compression fitting that we could reasonably reach -- tight fit in there for two hands), so we inserted a 1/4 inch rubber hose capable of withstanding a bend for fitting purposes. The rubber is oil compatible and can withstand temperatures of 200 degrees F. and 300 lbs. pressure. We double clamped at both ends. Fingers crossed, but so far so good!

Thanks again for your help with this.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through the same problem in Apr. of last year, when I tried to change the gauge sending unit.

Ended up buying used replacement pipe and pedistal ~ $150 CDN.

Did the change without moving engine etc. but was a lot of frustration, blood, sweat and tears.

Congrats on the repair.

Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 02-03-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Jagxjs (02-03-2013)