XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Vac Advance Plumbing with air pump removed

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Vac Advance Plumbing with air pump removed

I have removed the air pump and running a belt directly from Crank pulley to AC compressor (forget the Bando number but it's a perfect fit). No tensioner needed.

Anyway, does someone have a vacuum advance plumbing schematic that is simple and uses just the regulator and dump valve without all the other nonsense?

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

I have done this, and assuming you have Lucas ignition:
  • remove the wires from the temp switch on the A bank rear water manifold and tape them up. This disables the 15 minute enrichment timer that you do not need.
  • run a vac tube direct from the advance/retard capsule on the rear of the dizzy to the spigot under the A bank throttle body.
  • remove (or tape off) all the other stuff with thin vac lines to it and all the little boxes.
If your car is Marelli, this will not work. I have had my car like this for over 10 years. Check that the adv/ret capsule holds vac (it probably will not). If it does not then it needs renewing of fuel MPG drops disastrously.
Greg

Old 09-03-2014, 05:48 AM

Awesome. I had read somewhere that you needed the dump valve to prevent detonation if you floor the throttle while cruising.

I like your simple setup. I know my advance module is toast. It is next on the to do list after cooling system overhaul (nearly complete).

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bhamilton
Awesome. I had read somewhere that you needed the dump valve to prevent detonation if you floor the throttle while cruising.

I like your simple setup. I know my advance module is toast. It is next on the to do list after cooling system overhaul (nearly complete).

Thanks.
There is more than one dump valve! The one you keep is the one you can see bolted to the top left (in the photo) of the A bank inlet manifold. It looks like a small creamy plastic thing with a round base and an upper part about 1 inch square. This is connected by a vac line to the cabin end of that A bank (US passenger side) inlet manifold and has two wires going to it. WOT and it trips the switch to fix the mixture. On USA spec cars there is also another (for belt and braces reasons I suppose) micro switch on the back of the capstan, I understand. They both do the same thing.
Name:  IMG_0101_zps524728bc.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  116.3 KB
This one in the pic is is not connected to the adv/ret vac tubes at all.

Greg

Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM

I thought this was the dump valve that needed to be incorporated into the vac advance circuit?

Attached Thumbnails Vac Advance Plumbing with air pump removed-dumpvalve.jpg  
Old 09-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bhamilton
I thought this was the dump valve that needed to be incorporated into the vac advance circuit?
That along with the little blue thing and all its associated thin vac tubes can be removed.

Greg

Old 09-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

One note of caution.....

At least one of the vacuum thingies, as I recall, is a redundant dump valve for the cruise control. Might wanna leave that one in place, if you have it.

I think cars prior to xxx-point were retrofitted as part of a recall. Cars after xxx-point had the valve fitted at production.

I can try to find the details (to augment my foggy memory) or you can simply look for a vacuum tie-in to the cruise control hoses/servo.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
One note of caution.....

At least one of the vacuum thingies, as I recall, is a redundant dump valve for the cruise control. Might wanna leave that one in place, if you have it.

I think cars prior to xxx-point were retrofitted as part of a recall. Cars after xxx-point had the valve fitted at production.

I can try to find the details (to augment my foggy memory) or you can simply look for a vacuum tie-in to the cruise control hoses/servo.

Cheers
DD
Thanks Doug. that is true, I have removed my CC so forgot about it. The CC stuff is (as far as I remember) separate from the adv/ret pipes, so pretty easy to identify.

Greg