XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

What Asbestos parts are in a XJS (specifically 1987 3.6 Manual Coupe)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:24 AM
BRW
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Asbestos parts are in a XJS (specifically 1987 3.6 Manual Coupe)

I've just picked up a long-longed for 1987 XJS Coupe, with the goal of exporting it to Australia when I emigrate (from the UK).

Looking through the multitude of rules (which I swear I have done previously) it's obvious that Aussie customs have recently become really hot (no pun intended) on asbestos. I've seen a couple of reports of rare classics being destroyed by customs, and then there are heavy fines if you've illegally imported a banned substance.

Looking through the forum it seems that there is likely asbestos in the car, but I haven't found a definitive list of what is there, and what can be replaced.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-124436/ - here Graham mentions that post 1973 vehicles should be asbestos free for insulation components, but there's a bit of discussion about the exhaust manifold having asbestos parts.

Presumably the head gasket, clutch, and brake-linings would have been asbestos; I don't have any record of there being a new head gasket or clutch but presumably over 70k and 30 years it should be on more modern brake linings?

If I can identify all original asbestos parts I'll need to track down modern replacements, so any advice there would be useful.

Apologies if I've overlooked a similar previous post/thread, feel free to forward the relevant URL. Otherwise this could be useful for others in the future, particularly as Australia are relaxing some of their classic import rules next year (now they don't make any cars themselves).

Thanks,

B

Old 11-27-2017, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I can not be of direct assistance. And, it seems that you are in the right track as to identifying just where the stuff may have used.

I see the logic in the use of fins as a punishment or deterrent.

What fails to make any sense is the destruction of an entire car, merely because some parts were or contained asbestos. Counter productive, if any thing. A careful destruction coupled with dealing
the asbestos. Ordinary methods not involved. Thusly more risk and more money than merely allowing a lightly, if at all used, and repaired classic enter.

Gotta remember that asbestos is a natural thing. Unless disturbed, it is harmless. And, can be very useful and safe, if handled properly. Misuse and hype have demonized it.

Carl

Last edited by JagCad; 11-27-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: split sentnce
Old 11-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

What about the large heat shield in front of the rear suspension above the back boxes?

Old 11-28-2017, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,078 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by brinny
What about the large heat shield in front of the rear suspension above the back boxes?
All the non-metallic heatshields (engine bay to tunnel top, above rear axle cage, etc are made of some sort of compressed woodchip-type stuff. Definitely not asbestos.
Greg

Old 11-28-2017, 09:29 AM
BRW

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I just spoke to a very friendly and useful person at the Jaguar Customer Relationship Centre, who checked with 'the guy that knows everything' and told me that Jaguar started eliminating the use of Asbestos in their cars in the early 80's. She said that by 1987, the only parts that would have had asbestos were the brake pads, and as they should have been changed at least once in the last 30 years it should be asbestos free.

After I got off the phone I realised that I should have asked for some written confirmation, so I'll email them now for that, and hopefully Australian border patrol staff will find that sufficient. The application goes ahead of shipping so there should be an opportunity for them to raise any concerns before they start demolishing the car searching for dust.

If anyone knows that there are any parts that are definitely asbestos please post here, otherwise I'll update this with the feedback from the DIRD/Border patrol and the ongoing success/failure of the import for any future importers.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

The brake pads were an asbestos material.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:29 AM
BRW

I did add a reply a couple of days ago, saw some notice about moderator approval so I guess I did something daft. Anyway, if that does get approved apologies for doubling up.

Firstly thanks for the responses. To get a definitive answer I phoned the Jaguar Customer Relationship Centre - expecting some sort of brush-off due to the age of the car - but a very helpful person tracked down someone who she claimed knew everything about everything to get me an answer.

Since the early 1980's Jaguar have been eliminating the use of asbestos in all of their cars, and by 1987 the only asbestos was in the brake pads (as Daim mentions). As the brake pads have been changed at least a few times in the last 30 years, she was confident that there was now no asbestos in the car.

With my delight of getting excellent customer service, and also the good news, I totally forgot to ask for that in writing. I've since emailed and am waiting for that response which (if it comes through) I'll forward with the import application the Aussies.

If I do get any further information I'll add it here for future reference, and I'll feedback any other issues/success/failure I have for anyone else that may want to import a car to Oz.

Cheers,

B

Old 04-09-2018, 11:11 AM

I find myself in the same situation with the Aussie Immigration regulations on importing classics and trying to take my 94 xjs back.
BRW, did you find a way of getting your car certified / modified so that it was compliant and with a certificate or a piece of paper that was sufficient to satisfy customs?

regards

Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 PM
BRW

I took the XJS to Classic Engineering (Waltham Cross) and ran through the issue with them. They thought it was unlikely that other than the original (and subsequently replaced) brake pads, there probably wouldn't be any asbestos.
To make sure, they took samples from the rear over axle, main front bulkhead, and forward bulkhead exhaust heat-shields and sent them for testing.
All came back asbestos free.
With this I'm much more confident submitting my application. I'm just waiting on a couple more parts then I'll be submitting that, and will update my progress here in case it's useful for anyone in the future.

Casper - I think part of the import process is obtaining a compliance certificate https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicl..._overview.aspx (step 7). As I haven't started the process yet I can't say for sure, but I don't think you need a compliance certificate prior to import - but don't take my work on that.
I'll try to find the letter Jaguar customer services sent to me. Not quite what I needed but it said that all Jaguars were totally asbestos free by 1993 if I remember correctly. I'll check and update this.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:11 PM
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

BRW are you import you car under the Personal Import Option?

I did this years ago with a Mercedes and it didn’t need to comply with ADRs just basic safety standards which I was told any modern car would meet. I went to have it inspected and licensed and was told it would have to meet ADRs, I left saying making the excuse I didn’t have enough time and went to another inspection centre. The inspector knew the laws, was very gracious and after a 30 minute check and drive signed off.

I did use an import agent to handle the customs and shipping paper work and that was pretty cheap. Given the asbestos issues an agent dealing with car imports maybe your best source of advice.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:19 PM
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BRW
I've just picked up a long-longed for 1987 XJS Coupe, with the goal of exporting it to Australia when I emigrate (from the UK).

Looking through the multitude of rules (which I swear I have done previously) it's obvious that Aussie customs have recently become really hot (no pun intended) on asbestos. I've seen a couple of reports of rare classics being destroyed by customs, and then there are heavy fines if you've illegally imported a banned substance.

Looking through the forum it seems that there is likely asbestos in the car, but I haven't found a definitive list of what is there, and what can be replaced.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-124436/ - here Graham mentions that post 1973 vehicles should be asbestos free for insulation components, but there's a bit of discussion about the exhaust manifold having asbestos parts.

Presumably the head gasket, clutch, and brake-linings would have been asbestos; I don't have any record of there being a new head gasket or clutch but presumably over 70k and 30 years it should be on more modern brake linings?

If I can identify all original asbestos parts I'll need to track down modern replacements, so any advice there would be useful.

Apologies if I've overlooked a similar previous post/thread, feel free to forward the relevant URL. Otherwise this could be useful for others in the future, particularly as Australia are relaxing some of their classic import rules next year (now they don't make any cars themselves).

Thanks,

B
Contact Greg Chiminello at Skiforce Australia. www.skiforce.com, 61-3-9470-1822 . or fax to 61-3-9471-9911, 392 Plenty Road, Preston Victoria 3072 Australia for required paper work, taxes, etc. He handled shipping details for me when I shipped 2 pre 1990 XJ-S DH machines to Norm Lutz in Melbourne. Great service, hope this is of some help to you. best, JW

Old 04-19-2018, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,078 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by BRW
I took the XJS to Classic Engineering (Waltham Cross) and ran through the issue with them.
For all UK based people, and FYI generally, this is the finest, absolutely the best, Jaguar garage in the UK.
Greg

Old 11-09-2022, 10:57 PM

I came across this thread when researching importing an XJS into Australia. I would be interested in how it all turned out re asbestos and Australian authorities. Thanks

Old 11-12-2022, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

The only asbestos Im aware of is the round exhaust donuts that couple the manifolds to the rest of the exhaust. They have an asbestos core so its perfectly sealed, until someone decides to cut them out. Thats why its important to dowse them with wd-40 to prevent it from becoming airborne. Either way, they cant get to those and they pose no threat.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:35 AM

There must be something in the air....hopefully not asbestos....I am in the process of importing to Australia and asbestos seems to be the main challenge.

My 1989 XJS has this helpful commentary in the owners manual:

MAY is the operative word. The really scary one is the underseal....Having written similar owners manual entries myself for another manufacturer, I can say in our case the diligence of keeping them up to date is certainly not there, and human nature means there is a reluctance to delete anything, so this could easily have been in the log book since the HE, potentially even before.

If no-one has any better data, then I would like to get a handle on when this asbestos warning, in the a=bove format came in to the log books. Would appreciate any reading in to have a look in theirs. Mine is a Marreli, non catalyst, ABS 89.

Thanks in advance for any assistance (first post today!).

I have reached out to the Jaguar Heritage center to see if there is any better data such as a materials database at time of manufacture etc. Failing that I will have to get some checks done in the UK as per BRW's post. The ROVER import approval is very clear that it is subject to NO asbestos.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:14 PM

I contacted Jaguar in Australia, who passed my enquiry onto Jaguar in the UK.

It seems that Jaguar stopped using Asbestos in their cars 5th month 1993. Prior to that it was just the park brake pads. Following is their correspondence,

"The Jaguar XJ-S model went asbestos free in 1993.5 MY (build date Feb 1994). There was still asbestos used in the park brake pads until that production date."

The owners manual for the 1993 model XJS doesn't mention any asbestos as per the 1989 manual.

Cheers

Old 01-04-2023, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

I think youre good to go