XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Where does this vacuum line go to?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Where does this vacuum line go to?

Where does the vacuum line that attaches to #11 in the diagram go to?
In this drawing, #11 is referred to as a "blanking cap".
Does this imply that it is emissions related?

Thanks,

Paul

Old 07-07-2016, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

On my car the big pipe (no 1 in the diagram) looks like the cross pipe between the two manifolds. It runs across the rear of the engine. The spigot is a take off for a manifold vacuum signal to the ECU in the boot. If your car has a similar setup as mine, this spigot connects to a vacuum tube that runs under the car and ends up at the ECU.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
that guy (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

Greg of course is spot on. It connects to a metal line that runs under the car, and goes back to a rubber connection in the trunk. No idea why its listing a blanking cap, because on my car, if disconnected, the car won't run.

The following 2 users liked this post by superchargedtr6:
Greg in France (07-08-2016), that guy (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the information, I struggled tracing that hose from above. I suppose from underneath the car it is more obvious .

Old 07-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by that guy
I suppose from underneath the car it is more obvious .
Not nessessarily, the hard line pipe is pretty well hidden up in the transmission tunnel.
It's not a bad idea to disconnect both ends and give it a blow through and then to block off one end and check for leakage before hooking back up.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by that guy
Thanks for the information, I struggled tracing that hose from above. I suppose from underneath the car it is more obvious .
Is yours disconnected? If so you have a real pain ahead. When the crosspipe is in place the spigot should face downwards and backwards from the cross pipe. It connects via a short rubber flexible pipe to the steel pipe SC6 mentioned. The hard pipe runs up the LHS (US driver's side) of the gearbox tunnel (NOT to be confused with the fuel return pipe or the battery main feed cable to the firewall posts) and further back it is in the propshaft tunnel.

The problem is that it is impossible to connect the flexible from the crosspipe to the hard pipe with the gearbox in place. When I replaced my engine after my rebuild, the flexible got misaligned and was outboard of the cam covers. It was impossible to get it into the centre of the engine V with the engine in place, I had to pull out the engine a bit to just get the pipe into the centre of the V. So if your flexible is disconnected and not there to reconnect, it would be worth trying to loosen the front engine mount nuts, then undo the gearbox tail and CAREFULLY lower the tai a bitl, thus with luck, freeing up just enough space to connect a rubber flexible (A fairly solidly walled one that will withstand the vac).
Greg

Old 07-08-2016, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Is yours disconnected? If so you have a real pain ahead. When the crosspipe is in place the spigot should face downwards and backwards from the cross pipe. It connects via a short rubber flexible pipe to the steel pipe SC6 mentioned. The hard pipe runs up the LHS (US driver's side) of the gearbox tunnel (NOT to be confused with the fuel return pipe or the battery main feed cable to the firewall posts) and further back it is in the propshaft tunnel.

The problem is that it is impossible to connect the flexible from the crosspipe to the hard pipe with the gearbox in place. When I replaced my engine after my rebuild, the flexible got misaligned and was outboard of the cam covers. It was impossible to get it into the centre of the engine V with the engine in place, I had to pull out the engine a bit to just get the pipe into the centre of the V. So if your flexible is disconnected and not there to reconnect, it would be worth trying to loosen the front engine mount nuts, then undo the gearbox tail and CAREFULLY lower the tai a bitl, thus with luck, freeing up just enough space to connect a rubber flexible (A fairly solidly walled one that will withstand the vac).
Greg

Thankfully, it is connected. I wanted to renew it, but it seems good to leave well enough alone.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:38 AM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

Greg, wouldn't it be easier just to run a new rubber type vacuum hose from the cross pipe to the ECU.
Lawrence

Old 07-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 44lawrence
Greg, wouldn't it be easier just to run a new rubber type vacuum hose from the cross pipe to the ECU.
Lawrence
It would have been!
Greg