XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

While being stored - Better to start it or leave it be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default While being stored - Better to start it or leave it be?

I bought my 1996 XJS at an auction, had it shipped to me, and then immediately had to put it into my garage for winter storage due to snow, ice and salt on the roads. I have not even registered or insured yet and will not until the spring. I have it on a trickle charger and have been starting it and driving it up and down my driveway for about 10 minutes weekly. In your opinions is it better to do that 10 minute procedure or would it be better for the car to not start it and drive for that short time and distance? I do get some strange looks from my neighbors and passing cars driving the convertible up the driveway in 0 degree temperatures.
P.S. - Do you store your convertible with the top up or down. I previously had a 1989 MB 560sl and stored it with the top up and wound up with split threading on a seam. It was the original top, however.

By the way, after reading here about the OBDII port on the 1996 I attached my reader when I started the car today and no codes appeared. That is a good start to my ownership.

Last edited by Harro10; 12-22-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:48 PM
Received 193 Likes on 122 Posts

Nice car. It is no problem to park the car for six months. A trickle charger is good. Increase tire pressure to max. Prevents flat surfaces on the tires.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:52 PM
Received 10,340 Likes on 6,841 Posts

I agree.

My X300 sits for very long periods, on a trickle charger. Went to it yesterday, 7 months since the last visit, and fired straight up.

I always run it until N on the temp gauge before returning to sleep mode.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (12-23-2019), Mguar (12-24-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 554 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Harro10
I bought my 1996 XJS at an auction, had it shipped to me, and then immediately had to put it into my garage for winter storage due to snow, ice and salt on the roads. I have not even registered or insured yet and will not until the spring. I have it on a trickle charger and have been starting it and driving it up and down my driveway for about 10 minutes weekly. In your opinions is it better to do that 10 minute procedure or would it be better for the car to not start it and drive for that short time and distance? I do get some strange looks from my neighbors and passing cars driving the convertible up the driveway in 0 degree temperatures.
P.S. - Do you store your convertible with the top up or down. I previously had a 1989 MB 560sl and stored it with the top up and wound up with split threading on a seam. It was the original top, however.

By the way, after reading here about the OBDII port on the 1996 I attached my reader when I started the car today and no codes appeared. That is a good start to my ownership.

I mainly worry about a/C seals with just letting it sit. I go back back and forth about this. I think it may be best to just drive the car for 30 minutes or so with AC on at least once a week. If I don’t do this, I start getting fluid leaks.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
I mainly worry about a/C seals with just letting it sit. I go back back and forth about this. I think it may be best to just drive the car for 30 minutes or so with AC on at least once a week. If I don’t do this, I start getting fluid leaks.
For 15 years, one of my Jags has been standing still for half a year and has never had a leak somewhere. Perhaps when you store in a very warm garage.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:08 AM
GGG
Received 16,820 Likes on 12,177 Posts

I think the most appropriate procedure depends to a large extent on storage location. If the vehicle is in a (preferably heated) garage and on a battery tender, short warm ups can do more harm than good. If the location is less ideal then a monthly thorough warm up, preferably with a short drive to get exhaust, transmission and brakes up to temperature is preferable.

One thing I do, regardless of lay up or regular use is to cycle the AC through max cold to max hot on a monthly basis. This keeps air distribution flaps and servo vacuum motors operational.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Grant Francis (12-23-2019), Greg in France (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 10:17 AM
Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Harro10

it might be a good idea to get insurance anyway. classic car insurance is pretty reasonable. check with your DMV on how long you have to register a car after purchase. some states have a deadline to register and after that has passed you can be fined.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:20 PM

Good tips everyone, thanks.
I will keep it on the battery tender. I put the top up. I cycled through the a/c settings. I checked the pressure in the tires and it is a specially good thing I took that advice. The car had only 23psi in each tire. I got out the old bicycle pump and got each one up to 38 psi. That was enough for these arms for today. I also covered the tailpipes and air intake with aluminum foil.
If I cannot stop myself I will start it up once a month and drive it in the driveway (snow permitting) and run the a/c.

I checked on that issue regarding the registration and insurance and that is not a problem. I will take a chance on not insuring it this winter while I am storing it. I really don't have that much money sunk into it as of yet. We will see what happens in the spring when I get it on the road.

Last edited by Harro10; 12-23-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Keesh
Nice car. It is no problem to park the car for six months. A trickle charger is good. Increase tire pressure to max. Prevents flat surfaces on the tires.
possibly, mine is garaged as well, however .

all I can say is that the owners manual specifically states the a/c must be run weekly for at least 10 minutes , even during the winter, to prevent seals from drying up

Old 12-23-2019, 02:59 PM

That is one of many pitfalls of buy a car sight unseen from an auction. No manuals or service records came with it.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
all I can say is that the owners manual specifically states the a/c must be run weekly for at least 10 minutes , even during the winter, to prevent seals from drying up
Mine is stored in an unheated seacan for 6 months of the year and I've not had an AC leak. I like to leave a car sit unless everything can be brought up to temperature, particularly the exhaust. Starting and idling won't get the exhaust hot and it will fill up with acidic condensation.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:50 AM

A car is made to drive and not to stand still. Nothing is better than driving. So the best thing for a car is to use it. Take a ride on the highway at least once a week.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:22 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I guess I’m in the minority but I start mine and let it get up to temp at least once every couple weeks. Same with my bmw e24.

Old 12-26-2019, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by 944xjs
I guess I’m in the minority but I start mine and let it get up to temp at least once every couple weeks. Same with my bmw e24.
The engine uses an extra rich mixture at stationary speeds. This means that a relatively large amount of fuel is injected in proportion to the amount of air that is used during combustion.
The result: contamination of the internal parts of your engine. With gasoline engines you get a deposit on, for example, the gas valve.
This actually happens about the same as when you only make short journeys by car and just don't get warm enough.

The following users liked this post:
944xjs (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

Everyone seems to recommend a trickle charger.
What is the advantage of the trickle charger vs. just disconnecting the battery?

Old 12-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

The engine uses an extra rich mixture at stationary speeds. This means that a relatively large amount of fuel is injected in proportion to the amount of air that is used during combustion.
The result: contamination of the internal parts of your engine. With gasoline engines you get a deposit on, for example, the gas valve.
This actually happens about the same as when you only make short journeys by car and just don't get warm enough.
That makes sense. I feel like I do it to just keep gas and coolant and oil flowing. I put stabil in the gas when I put it away but I don’t know if any of that stuff works.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

A car is made to drive and not to stand still. Nothing is better than driving. So the best thing for a car is to use it. Take a ride on the highway at least once a week.
yes. And because I live in Southern Texas I can typically take a 40 minute drive in my cars at least once a week unless it’s raining.

but I guess this thread is more about guys in places where you have to store the car for the entire winter...I don’t know what Jaguar recommended for that particular scenario, but as I mentioned before, they did recommend running that compressor for 10 minutes per week to lubricate seals.