XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Will this exhaust fit??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will this exhaust fit??

I ran a forum search but could not find an answer to this question.

I have a 95 XJS V12 6.0 Convert (Canada) and Im considering buying the Borla full sport exhaust system sold by XKS Unlimited and the Driven Man. (I know it is cheaper to modify the stock exhaust but we do not want to alter it at this time.) See below:

XJS GT Stainless Steel Sport Exhaust System

The description states that the exhaust MAY not fit 93-95 convertibles due to the X brace at the rear.
Can anyone with a 93-95 V12 convertible confirm that this exhaust WILL fit the car?? Cheers

Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 AM

Correction - the description states "May not fit 1993-95 convertibles due to rear crossbar" - so I assume this refers to the optional rear sway bar not the X brace.
But if anyone has a 93-95 V12 convert with this exhaust, I would still like to confirm it fits. Thanks

Old 10-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey man did you end up buying this kit? I might have to replace my whole exhaust system on my 92 and was looking at this option.

Good quality? If so how easy was the installation and how much did it run you if you had a mechanic do it.

Finally if you didn't use this option what did you end up doing with your exhaust?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by blackxjsv12
Correction - the description states "May not fit 1993-95 convertibles due to rear crossbar" - so I assume this refers to the optional rear sway bar not the X brace.
But if anyone has a 93-95 V12 convert with this exhaust, I would still like to confirm it fits. Thanks

Old 10-18-2014, 05:08 AM

<<<@!1!@>>>

I looked into the exhaust quite a bit. I spoke with Robert at The Driven Man in TN and he has a lot of knowledge of the car. It's made by Borla so the quality is excellent. They only special order them due to very low volume.

I decided not to go this route and kept my stock exhaust. I was looking to increase performance because the stock exhaust is very restricting (4 mufflers, narrow piping), and give the car a better sound. The exhaust has the 2 main mufflers in the center, but it also has the 2 resonators at the back. An easy way to increase flow and give it a deeper tone is to remove the resonators. I highly suggest this route.

But if you do buy the Borla exhaust, I'm sure you will be happy with it. Installation should be pretty straight fwd since it's designed for the car.

Here is the exhaust on YouTube if you want to hear it. Note he has the 6 speed manual conversion:

Good luck - if you buy it, make sure to reply to this with some pics!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (10-21-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If I were going to do exhaust on stock manifolds I would have the shop cut the downpipes and then make the. Entire exhaust from there back with custom y pipes and the rest in 2.25 tubing.

Delete the cats entirely and put a singleset of good mufflers

Old 10-20-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by calvindoesntknow
If I were going to do exhaust on stock manifolds I would have the shop cut the downpipes and then make the. Entire exhaust from there back with custom y pipes and the rest in 2.25 tubing.

I agree with all of that except deleting the cats. These engines give off high emissions so I would go with high flow cats. That way it would be a lot cleaner and not give off a strong smell to everyone driving around me.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by calvindoesntknow

He is looking at exhausts because his entire system is rotted, there is nothing to save or retain. Probably cheapest to have a shop make up the entire thing

Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

<<<@!1!@>>>

I looked into the exhaust quite a bit. I spoke with Robert at The Driven Man in TN and he has a lot of knowledge of the car. It's made by Borla so the quality is excellent. They only special order them due to very low volume.

I decided not to go this route and kept my stock exhaust. I was looking to increase performance because the stock exhaust is very restricting (4 mufflers, narrow piping), and give the car a better sound. The exhaust has the 2 main mufflers in the center, but it also has the 2 resonators at the back. An easy way to increase flow and give it a deeper tone is to remove the resonators. I highly suggest this route.

But if you do buy the Borla exhaust, I'm sure you will be happy with it. Installation should be pretty straight fwd since it's designed for the car.

Here is the exhaust on YouTube if you want to hear it. Note he has the 6 speed manual conversion:

Jaguar XJS V12 6-speed by The Driven Man - YouTube

Good luck - if you buy it, make sure to reply to this with some pics!
I wish I hadn't Watched that now, how will I get through the Winter without driving my XJS!

Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

I agree with all of that except deleting the cats. These engines give off high emissions so I would go with high flow cats. That way it would be a lot cleaner and not give off a strong smell to everyone driving around me.
Mine are deleted, suits me just fine. Please don't drive a V-12 then get on a pedestal about "emissions" or " carbon footprints" ( my words) Give me a break.

The following 3 users liked this post by JTsmks:
Bc xj (10-22-2014), Jonathan-W (09-19-2016), orangeblossom (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Mine are deleted, suits me just fine. Please don't drive a V-12 then get on a pedestal about "emissions" or " carbon footprints" ( my words) Give me a break.
Mine didn't even leave the factory with cats... And you're right: worry about odor or emissions, and a V12 is totally wrong for you...

The following 3 users liked this post by Daim:
Bc xj (10-22-2014), Jonathan-W (09-19-2016), orangeblossom (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 05:28 PM

Fellas thanks for the info and knowledge about XJS exhausts!! Along with some of the research I've done online, the videos I've watched on youtube, this has really helped me decide what I'm going to do.

I just spoke to a mechanic that's a friend of the family and works on my brother in law's cars as he owns and limo company and he recommended a good muffler shop that according to him, has superior welding skills.

We're going to pick the car up from my Jag mechanic tomorrow and take it to the muffler shop.

From what I've gathered from everyone it's likely best to just buy the parts myself and have the muffler shop make up some pipes for me. Not going to go the Driven man route either.

This is what I have decided so far. Correct me if this sounds like a bad set up. I'm thinking 2.25 pipes. Keeping the front cats (buying some magnaflows) and the back mufflers (buying some magnaflows).

Deleting the center mufflers and the rear Cats. Two things I'm not sure about are the resonators and the deletion of the center mufflers. What is the benefit of keeping the resonators? What is the benefit of having them off?

Also same thing with the center mufflers.

Will there be issues with overheating to the engine system or transmission with the rear Cats or mufflers off? Will the car run too rich with this set up and use up more gas?

Remember I'm a newbie at all of this. Thanks for your help fellas.

Last edited by BadKat174; 10-22-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

I run all four cats emptied, mid mufflers removed and rear resonators in place. The rear resonators are straight through vice the mid mufflers are not hence why I removed one and kept the other.

I had a fairly high drone at highway speeds so I went back and had an "H" pipe put in and that disappeared. Sound will not come from emptying cats and removing mufflers, at least not that much louder. Opening up the air intakes will allow a sorrier sound with the more free flowing exhaust.

One of the biggest restrictions IMHO is the honeycomb like sound deadeners at the downpipes to manifold connection point. I still haven't gotten up the courage to take on removing theses but it's on my to do list.

The following users liked this post:
BadKat174 (10-22-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 12:15 AM

Another forum member stated that removing the center mufflers created a drone sound in the cabin so I'm guessing that's what happened with yours?

Def don't want a drone sound at all or much noise in the cabin as I'm driving.

Which resonators did you use? Did you stay stock?

Thanks.

I run all four cats emptied, mid mufflers removed and rear resonators in place. The rear resonators are straight through vice the mid mufflers are not hence why I removed one and kept the other.

I had a fairly high drone at highway speeds so I went back and had an "H" pipe put in and that disappeared. Sound will not come from emptying cats and removing mufflers, at least not that much louder. Opening up the air intakes will allow a sorrier sound with the more free flowing exhaust.

One of the biggest restrictions IMHO is the honeycomb like sound deadeners at the downpipes to manifold connection point. I still haven't gotten up the courage to take on removing theses but it's on my to do list.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

You're swinging before the bell, it seems.

I saw no evidence of anyone being 'on a pedestal'. BlackXJS merely stated that running with converters would be cleaner. Sounds logical to me.

When running an older, high emission, high fuel use vehicle there is no obligation or requirement to ignore or disregard emissions considerations based only on the fact that it is an old, high emission, high fuel use vehicle.

I see no harm in taking such a car and trying to keep it as clean running as reasonably possible, including use of cat converters. No pedestals involved.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
worry about odor or emissions, and a V12 is totally wrong for you...

Not sure if I understand the rationale.

Older cars are dirtier to begin with.... so any efforts to keep them running cleaner are a bad thing? And a person willing to make such an effort simply shouldn't own a older car at all?

And taking steps that can make them dirtier is a good thing?

Cheers
DD