XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Wooden Steering Wheel where can I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,760 Likes on 2,604 Posts
Default Wooden Steering Wheel where can I get one?

Hi The other day I met a guy who's XJS had a very expensive Walnut Steering Wheel.

Apparently it was already on when he bought it but it looked so good I want one.

Does anyone in the UK know where I can get one?

It was not the skinny sort that you might see on an etype but more like I've got on my Celebration convertible.

In fact I may have just answered my own question?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,805 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Lots of aftermarket choices with Nardi and MotoLita being the two most common. Do some Googling or search the JF archives for pics and opinions.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

The last of the XJS had a wood wheel. You may be able to find a good used one.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Received 10,350 Likes on 6,847 Posts
Thumbs up

Doug is right. They are out there.

I have one for sale, 14", with XJ-S boss adaptor, and Jaguar emblem horn button. $100.

problem is I am down here and you are up there, postage would be dumb and damage would be a certain, bugga.

Wooden Steering Wheel where can I get one?-ssa41851.jpg

The following users liked this post:
gregh (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

That steering wheel would work on any early car but anything from 1989 onward has an airbag.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Grant, please check my PM

-GregH

Old 02-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,133 Likes on 5,375 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi The other day I met a guy who's XJS had a very expensive Walnut Steering Wheel.

Apparently it was already on when he bought it but it looked so good I want one.

Does anyone in the UK know where I can get one?
In the UK:
Grublogger
Eurojags
Black Country Jags

have loads of genuine jaguar good second parts.

Greg

The following users liked this post:
Hedman (05-20-2020)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,941 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Hi.
I got one from Ringwood in Hampshire, can't remember the name but they advertise in the Jag mags; the number is 01425 477856.
Not cheap but thick and tactile with a lovely finish.

Attached Thumbnails Wooden Steering Wheel where can I get one?-2012-09-17-011-1.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,760 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Hi Guys Thanks for your suggestions

Hi Steve that looks like the one! I almost dare not ring to ask the price, so before I pick up the phone I am going to take a guess at £450 (I will let you know how close I was)

Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

the airbag units can be replaced if not detonated.

if you have the equivalent non-wood wheel (as i do on my '91), be sure to keep that in mind when ordering. i assume the airbag unit itself is quite expensive.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That wheel Grant has for sale is very nice looking. I plan on getting rid of my air bag & putting something like that on my 92. I would imagine shipping to here in the states from Grant would also be pretty high.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 941 Posts

had a Grant wood str wheel on a big block camaro, 20yrs ago, it was a 4 spoke, lot of good comments on it, as i remember they had adaptors for most cars also.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Received 10,350 Likes on 6,847 Posts

Mmmm, that snap started something I did not expect or intend.

That wheel is not a Jaguar OE wheel, just in case there is some confusion, and it has NO name on it, but I am thinking Autotechnica?.

It was on an '85 XJ-S a friend bought, and he is an "original or nothing" guy, so an OE wheel was sourced and this is what came off.

I have 2 enquiries as of last night, 1= Canada, and 1 = Indianna. Packing and postage looks like ABOUT $125, but then add on tracking and insurance. Getting quotes today, coz both are serious about it.

Sorry for creating that situation, it was unintended, I just wanted to show what wheels are out there, and usually not so expensive, but sometimes the strangest things just happen.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 435 Likes on 378 Posts

I've just changed my 1991 European facelift large steering wheel for the walnut airbag model from Myrtle products. The swop is easy when you get all the information and parts.......!!!!
Sadly Myrtle suffer from that UK problem of as soon as its paid for and leaves the door we don't care anymore. (most UK companies have a terrible aftersales service). When ordered first question was why would you do that ?? The boss, (Paul) then explained that l would need the firing pin bits, the horn buttons from my wheel and the column adaptor from a XJ40, and of cause an airbag. When asked why doesn't the pin and horn buttons come with the wheel he said they just don't. So after a while he did say he might have one and his wife will call me the next day to inform me how much. Well, after waiting a few days l called and talked to his wife about the pin and after a while she said would call back as no-one was there...... Never heard anything again !

So, if you want to add an airbag to your XJS the airbag steering wheel from a XJ40 and XJS will direct fit if the number of splines match (78) l think. If yours like mine, has the smaller spline column (48) l think, you will need that adapter from the XJ40, an AIRBAG and the firing pin. Also a small bolt with a 5mm hole drilled in it and one side hit with a hammer to make the hole flat on 1 side to set the airbag safety pin. Watch the 'how to video' on the Myrtle website for info on how to.
For the best service and help for the pin and adaptor (and other Jag parts) I can't recommend Les at JagCats 01977 617450 any higher. VERY VERY helpful and goes that last inch to help.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Received 4,196 Likes on 3,657 Posts

Not sure if he ships internationally but here is a US vendor - British Autowood thas has an nice selection

British Autowood > Steering Wheels

Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 555 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
I've just changed my 1991 European facelift large steering wheel for the walnut airbag model from Myrtle products. The swop is easy when you get all the information and parts.......!!!!
Sadly Myrtle suffer from that UK problem of as soon as its paid for and leaves the door we don't care anymore. (most UK companies have a terrible aftersales service). When ordered first question was why would you do that ??:
That's a shame about theit service.......I too have had the Myrtle Steering wheel in my mind for a long time for my 95:

Jaguar XJS Walnut Four Spoke Steering Wheel (airbag type) [Jaguar XJS] - £299.00 : Myrtle Productions, fine wood car interiors and luxury steering wheels

But at 299.00 Pounds Sterling or 451.00 dollars, it better come with everything I need to install it and a lifetime warranty.

I don't mind saving up and paying my hard earned money for something I want for my cars, but I won't deal with businesses that I get continuous bad feedback from. More than one person has complained about how their "how to" video for the passenger side airbag on the facelift to change the veneer is inaccurate, as they just show it popping out when in reality a whole lot of stuff has to be dismantled. Same thing with the the fan vendor people keep complaining about.

There is nothing more than I love than supporting small business in the United States and in Europe even if means paying a little more, but there is nothing that I hate more than bad service, specially for very expensive things....after all I don't really "need" to buy a wood steering wheel.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Being that you are in the UK, you can order directly from Moto-Lita, the Classic British Steering Wheel and get it delivered very quickly. I've ordered several adapters and wheels from them in the past and the quality is top notch, not to mention they look the part. Nothing detracts more than a tasteless cheap steering wheel on an otherwise lovely car. http://www.grantproducts.com/images/...ges/lg/741.jpg

Last edited by MustangSix; 05-24-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

I finally got my XJS back from its 5 week SMOG hell so I'll snap a picture of the wooden wheel I put on. I rather like it. I have '92 and I have removed the airbag. (I don't want any lectures on road safety, etc, etc. I'm a big boy, it's only ever me that drives the car, so I understand the potential risk)

For anyone thinking about doing anything with an airbag equipped XJS, you need a special tool (JD159) to take the airbag out. This little thing currently retails for around $160 to $190 US. For you folks already with the fancy wooden airbag aftermarket wheels, did the tool come with the wheel ? (Or maybe you already knew about it and had bought it or borrowed it?)

My "upgrade" is not perfect...... I've lost the horn and the turn signal self cancelling, but both of these I can live with. I'll wire the horn into something else (big red button on the dash board, or foot pedal like in the old rally days)

Old 05-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarc
I finally got my XJS back from its 5 week SMOG hell so I'll snap a picture of the wooden wheel I put on. I rather like it. I have '92 and I have removed the airbag. (I don't want any lectures on road safety, etc, etc. I'm a big boy, it's only ever me that drives the car, so I understand the potential risk)

For anyone thinking about doing anything with an airbag equipped XJS, you need a special tool (JD159) to take the airbag out. This little thing currently retails for around $160 to $190 US. For you folks already with the fancy wooden airbag aftermarket wheels, did the tool come with the wheel ? (Or maybe you already knew about it and had bought it or borrowed it?)

My "upgrade" is not perfect...... I've lost the horn and the turn signal self cancelling, but both of these I can live with. I'll wire the horn into something else (big red button on the dash board, or foot pedal like in the old rally days)
Instead of buying the tool. I just used a small pair of needle nose pliers. It probably took me about 3 min to back out the firing pin.

Quick Reply: Wooden Steering Wheel where can I get one?