XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Would anyone be interested in a 1990 XJS...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would anyone be interested in a 1990 XJS...

I may have purchased a 1990 XJS coupe with 49k miles at one of my auctions today. The reason I say "may" is because I'm waiting on the rep.for the owner/dealer of the vehicle to contact me back to tell me if the deal was approved. Techinally I bought it, but it is what's called an "IF" sale. If anyone in here is a dealer they should understand IF sales. I am just curious on how desirable these cars are. It has the double six engine (V12), and it only has 49k miles, and looks like it inside and out. I would be most interested in selling the vehicle to a Jaguar enthusiest, but I'm also thinking that that is the only type of buyer that will be interested in the car. From what I have seen of the other XJS's for sale, they still bring a good dollar. I hope to hear some feedback from you guys that are well experienced with these models.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Default RE: Would anyone be interested in a 1990 XJS...

Man this forum moves extremely slow. Thanks for the reply roadkill. I now have the car in my possesion and will be putting it up for sale soon. I will post it on this board along with an extensive amount of detailed pics. I still don't know how much to ask for it though. It truly does have 49,103 original miles on it. Carfax checks out to everything being excellent. It's a beautiful car but I don't know what I should price it at. Are the convertibles worth more than the coupes? I wouldn't think so considering the conv.'s are everywhere and you hardly see the coupes around. So please help me price this thing for resale.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Your full description of AJ26/ AJ27 component interchange didn't get there too slow. What is the story on your '98 XJ8?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Demand for coupes is much lower than the convertibles, so they don't bring as high a price. Price is hard to say sight unseen--too many variables. Sounds like you found a cherry unit. Low mileage without it being too low. Good luck in the sale!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio

Your full description of AJ26/ AJ27 component interchange didn't get there too slow. What is the story on your '98 XJ8?
Well as for the engine swap. I came up with a new idea last week that may be more efficient for me. Since the engine donor vehicle was a 99 VDP with 12k on it, and the only thing wrong with that car being the interior, I figured I should use the car for more than just an engine. My car with a blown engine is a 98 xj8l with more miles. So, I was just going to pay the 3k for the VDP this past tuesday (the day of its auction) and swap the interiors of the two cars. At that point I would end up with a running 99 VDP with 12k, as opposed to a 98 XJ8L with 78k. See how it would be more valuable for resale? You also have to remember I'm trying to get this dealer thing going so I no longer have to turn wrenches for the man, so resale and profit margins are what I'm most concerned about.

This past tuesday I was at the auction prepared to buy the VDP for 3k, hopefully since it hasn't sold the owner may settle for 2500. Get to the check in counter and get my title for the 98. Car was from California and has 200k miles on the title. [sm=bs.gif]Great, the cluster was switched, but because I paid under 2500 for the car, I cannot arbitrate it. (take it back) It didn't bother me that much because at this point I'm only using the interior out of it anyway, then I'll part some valubles and be back to my original profit margin. I get to the VDP and look the exterior over again. Not bad, it's been painted (but what hasn't at auctions) no dents or anything major, noticed some body work around the C-pillars, started to think a little. They never said anything about a salvage or rebuilt title last week. Car goes through, BAM, red light, salvage rebuildable title, I walk away at 2k. The owner comes and asks me If I'll buy it at 2200. I declined. Car is useless to me. Noone would be willing to pay retail price for a rebuilt title, and noone wants a car with 200k, regardless if the engine and transmission have been replaced.

So I'm putting the 98 back together and I'm running it back through that auction next tuesday. If I don't get atleast 2k for it, I'll run it at another auction on Friday. So I'm back to the drawing board. In the mix of all this, I find the XJS that's been there for about a month but hasn't run. That's how I got to that car. It is for resale purposes only, so I'm still on the look out for a personal car for myself. I'm driving an 04 Acura RL with 40k on it right now, but it is up for sale as well. I'm not keeping the Acura because it was too much of my money spent out at one time, and I could use that money to buy more cars for resale.

That's were I stand for now my man, hope this cleared it up for you.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: ken@britishparts.com

Demand for coupes is much lower than the convertibles, so they don't bring as high a price. Price is hard to say sight unseen--too many variables. Sounds like you found a cherry unit. Low mileage without it being too low. Good luck in the sale!
Pictures will be up some time early next week, I have to put a fuel pump in a buddys truck and put my 98 back together before I can start on the XJS. It needs a tune up and to be cleaned well. I'll get to it asap, I want to have it up for sale by late next week.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Good move. I prefer the coupes over convertibles. I figure if I want window noise I'll open a window! But, I seem to be one of the few amoung the many...

Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM

Wow, I'm surprised someone else likes the coupe better. Just like you, I've never had a taste for any type of convertible car. I actually like the coupe that I have now, it's a pretty cool car. I need to fix the misfire that it has right now so it'll be alot smoother and faster. I punched it a few times to try to blow some of the crap that's been in there from the car sitting for so long, but you know, it still needs a good tune up. Like I said earlier, I'll get some pics up soon along with some updates.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

I like the coupes better.....and like them better still with the 350 conversion. Makes it a rocket and far better balanced weight distribution.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Line to line racing, you're correct. A 350 can't do what the v12 can on the upper end.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 AM

ROFL, both the cats are glowing. That should explain the loss of power. I'm Going to replace them as opposed to punching them out because of the condition of the rest of the car, and how original everything is. Though I am in Florida [sm=lildevil.gif]

Old 04-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

You should have 4 cats on that car. Which two are glowing?

At least you found the problem!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:17 PM

The two primaries were glowing. I replaced all four today because the secondaries were probably soon to follow suit. Welding on your back sucks lol. I really can't wait to get back into my shop. Working without a lift is just terribly aggrivating when you know you could do it in half the time, and you see better angles that you could get at something if the car was in the air. The major loss of power has been fixed, but now I have to workout the misfire. I see the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor have been changed with factory parts. (assuming the rotors was, I haven't physically looked at it)I'm going to look into it on Monday, basically go over the ignition again. Could be a bad ICM, I don't know yet though.I guess we'll find out later.