XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJ40 Rearend interchange with XJ-S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default XJ40 Rearend interchange with XJ-S?

Hi all,

I have a chance to get the reared pumpkin out off a 93 XJ40 with the 3.58 ratio. I've been searching all over the web to find out how to ID a none power lock from a power lock. I remember reading somewhere that a power lock supposed to have a third tag on it identifying it as such. Is that true for all powelock potion rearends? This unit has two tags and a bunch of numbers stamped/cast all over. Does anybody have a cross reference about id-ing this numbers? How can I find out what options had been installed in these cars?

In addition, some dude told me that the outboard brake setup is a bolt in: Just use the halfshafts, rotors and carriers. Is that true for the XJS 4.0s only or XJ6/40s also? Since the XJS and XJ6/40 share the same wheelbase of 61", I'm thinking it should be a bolt in affair, true? BTW, there are three XJ8s up to MY2001 in the salvage yard. Those rearends look the same as the XJ40 except there's something different at the outboard side of the case. I'll try to take a picture next time I'm out there.

My goal is to set up a rear end with the 3.58 ratio and outboard brakes for my 92 since I have a spare rear end out of a late 80s XJS. I have not looked at it if that is a Dana or not. In any case, I'd like to build another setup I can swap out.

Here are some pictures of the XJ40 rearend. On the top of the case, the casting numbers show the date of manufacture and the case number. I'm thinking if that case number is the same throughout the all models this number should be the same. Have no idea what the number on the cover, second tag above the ratio tag and the stamping next to both tags mean. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails XJ40 Rearend interchange with XJ-S?-img_2403.jpg   XJ40 Rearend interchange with XJ-S?-img_2401.jpg   XJ40 Rearend interchange with XJ-S?-img_2399.jpg   XJ40 Rearend interchange with XJ-S?-img_2398.jpg  
Old 07-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Can not completely answer your questions, but one, I can!

On the differential, turn one out put shaft. If the opposite turns in the same direction, it is power lock. If it turns n he opposite direction, it is open, or none power lock.

Carl

Old 07-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

purrkittypurr,

A couple of comments:

- Powerlok diffs had a tab under the bolt (as per yours) but the tab has "PL" on it on an LSD-equipped car.

- If you know the VIN of the car that the axle came from, then Jaguar can tell you if the car had the LSD option.

- If it came from an XJR or a sportpack-equipped car, then it will have had an LSD.

- Turning the output shaft should verify anyway, as mentioned by Carl.

Paul

Old 07-15-2015, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Can not completely answer your questions, but one, I can!

On the differential, turn one out put shaft. If the opposite turns in the same direction, it is power lock. If it turns n he opposite direction, it is open, or none power lock.

Carl
I forgot to mention that, but believe the opposite half-shaft was turning counter clockwise which I thought was a power lock. This was suggested on some hot rodder site. There's a lot of inaccurate info out there regarding this rear ends. Thanks,

Old 07-15-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ptjs1
purrkittypurr,

A couple of comments:

- Powerlok diffs had a tab under the bolt (as per yours) but the tab has "PL" on it on an LSD-equipped car.

- If you know the VIN of the car that the axle came from, then Jaguar can tell you if the car had the LSD option.

- If it came from an XJR or a sportpack-equipped car, then it will have had an LSD.

- Turning the output shaft should verify anyway, as mentioned by Carl.

Paul
Got two strikes against it now. As mention before, no PL tag on there. Here's the VIN if somebody has access to the dealer vault. LOL. I will also call Gaudin Jaguar to see how helpful the are.

VIN: SAJHW1747PC679193
XJ40 Rearend interchange with XJ-S?-img_2279.jpg
Number on the tag: E(or L)BC1091II.
XJ40 Rearend interchange with XJ-S?-img_2282.jpg

Old 07-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

"I forgot to mention that, but believe the opposite half-shaft was turning counter clockwise which I thought was a power lock. This was suggested on some hot rodder site. There's a lot of inaccurate info out there regarding this rear ends. Thanks,"

There might be some confusion in the semantics here. As you look at the hub on one side, if you turn it clockwise it is true that the other hub will turn anticlockwise (when looked at from the other side!) if it has an LSD. Maybe that's what the hot rod site meant.

Push your Jaguar Dealer to give you the info. It is perfectly feasible for them to do this, if they can be bothered.

Good luck

Paul

Old 07-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Just think opposite rotation means open. Same rotation means locking of some variety. Not rocket science.

Oh, not to mention, removing the cover and looking for clutches or merely spur gears!!!

I'd do that anyway. it might be screwed up, and not ready for use.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Jonathan-W (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:43 PM

Update:
Dealer said nothing comes up for the above mention vin. I've heard that before when I inquired for some parts for my 92 XJS. Their system won't go back as far.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

purrkittypurr,

A couple of suggestions:

- If your dealer doesn't want to be bothered, talk to Jaguar Heritage yourself who have all the build records

- Qoute the real Jaguar VIN, not the American Secondary VIN that the car was given for export. It might be stamped on the bulkhead? As you probably know, the XJS has it stamped on the upper bulkhead just in front of the plenum chamber. I can translate XJS American Secondary VINs but am not so sure on XJ40. If you can tell me the full model type (Sport, Sovereign etc. Manual or Auto, LHD?) then I might be able to tell you the proper VIN.

Good luck

Paul

Old 05-02-2022, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the other forum i got info that 15HU is LSD, 14HU is open