XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS vs XK8

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 06:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJS vs XK8

I'm thinking about a Jag convertible for summer cruising & weekend driving (XJ8 will stay daily driver), and was looking strictly at XK8s. Lately I've also been looking at XJSs (I6 version). Which would you recommend? Why (reliability, ease of maintenance/repair, style, likely appreciation, etc)?

Old 10-03-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

The XK is a more modern vehicle but lacks the comfort of the XJ-S. The XJ-S is a more "fragile" vehicle when it comes to service and requires a lot of care. The XK is easier to sercvice and if something goes wrong, can be easier sorted... BUT at the same time, the V8 is also a PITA as it does have some weird issues... Like boire wash. The chains are frequently a big issue. The AJ6/AJ16 (depending on 3.6 or 4.0l models) is nearly bulletproof. NEARLY. It also has it's gubbins and gremlins...

Old 10-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Baron
Which would you recommend? Why (reliability, ease of maintenance/repair, style, likely appreciation, etc)?
Reliability - IMO a '95 or '96 with the AJ16 4.0 is as reliable as you can get with a 20 year old car.

Ease of Maintenance - Come on - it's a Jag!

Style - Personal choice - XJS = Classic Grand Touring / XK8 = More Modern look.

Appreciation - It's not an investment. Its a luxury.

For me there's no question - XJS

"But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."
(extra points if you know who I'm quoting )

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (11-06-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Received 201 Likes on 132 Posts

get yourself an xjs and some rubber gloves and a box of tools. sit back and fall in love.
you will get much more attention in an xjs that you will ever will in an xk8. too modern.
get a convertable or cabriolet, open your shirt to the waist, some elvis sunglasses and your ready to roll

Old 10-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

You have an XK8, do you love it enough to buy another. I was looking for an XK8 coupe before I purchased my XJS. I enjoy driving mine and I have had people give me the thumbs up, even some XK8 drivers. Would I buy an XK8 when I own the XJS, damn right I would. There is no answer for your question by anyone but yourself.

Greg in France (10-04-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 424 Likes on 251 Posts

I have 2 xjs and have owned an xk8 and xkr. I would probably go xk8.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Over the years I have learned to accept the presence of the XK8 invading my XJS world. In general, it now comes to that, in looks is the XJS, but in performance is the XK8. Something that won't change is the fact that, in convertible form, the XJS is an immensely more attractive car, a true head turner. Conversely, in coupe form the XK8 does looks a little "smarter" or sportier than the XJS coupe does, particularly vs. the pre-face lift coupe car.

Inside the car, the XK8 dash is just about one of the most striking wooden dash boards that I've ever seen, maybe except for some Rolls and Bentley's.

In general, I think that in looks alone the XJS wins, especially with its top down. I can surely attest to the incredible number of thumbs up that keep coming from all directions and car brands' / drivers. However, if performance should become part of the choice factors, then the XK8 wins, let alone the XKR. The XK8 handles far better in maneuvering the car in a slalom challenge, plus the power plant is some 60 HP stronger, and it feels it. And with the XKR that superiority just about doubles. It just becomes apples and oranges.

However, regardless of the lesser performance, the XJS is just too special and unique of a car and I just can't imagine anybody looking at an XK8 while in the presence of an XJS, especially if they are convertibles. The XJS is a car that achieves exponential attraction when enhanced with improvements, for some reason much more so than the average car.

"My God, can I borrow your car for the weekend?"
is just so typical to hear from no less than beautiful women in the car next to yours when you're driving your concourse-shiny convertible XJS. The XK8 is just, simply, not that special....

Cheers,

The following 2 users liked this post by Forcedair1:
Greg in France (11-06-2017), Red Baron (10-06-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

I have an '89 XJRS and a 2000 XKR and love them both.
They are different in their own ways but both eat up the miles with ease and in total comfort.
Choice of which to take at any one time comes down to a coin toss.

Last edited by baxtor; 10-03-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Greg in France (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:31 AM
Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I have both, an XK8 and an XJS. The XK8 is a very beautiful and elegant car with just the right amount of horsepower. However, my heart beats for my XJS and its smooth V12 which is a car you can fall in love with.

For both cars I would make the same recommendation, since cars with full maintenance documentation are usually expensive and cars with a reasonable price are often undermaintained. Get everything that will usually break or wear out fixed in one big job, even if it costs a lot of money. Once done, you will have a fun car for years to come.

On my XK8 I had all four timing chains, four timing chain tensioners and two guides replaced as well as the water pump, thermostat and a few small things. It is an interference engine, so if a chain jumps two teeth, the valves hit the pistons. Preventive maintenance can eliminate that risk.

On my XJS I had the entire cooling sytem replaced with the exception of the radiator, since overheating is a risk on a thirty year old car. The I6 will be easier to maintain than the V12.

Both cars are a blast to drive, but 90% of the time I choose to drive the XJS.

The following 2 users liked this post by Andreas Schmieg:
Greg in France (11-06-2017), Red Baron (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 07:40 AM

"Ease of Maintenance - Come on - it's a Jag!" - Love it.

Or as Jeremy Clarkson once put it when test-driving an XJS: You could buy a modern house with triple-pane windows and lots of insulation. Or you could buy a 17th century manor that costs a fortune to heat, you hit your head on the beams and the plumbing is from the dark ages. I would take the manor every time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Andreas Schmieg:
Greg in France (11-06-2017), Some Day, Some Day (11-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Alan,

As you've seen (and probably guessed!) you'll get no definitive view because in the end it will always be about personal choice, circumstances and preferences!

IMO, the XK8 or XKR is a much better driving car, more sophisticated, better equipped and perfectly reliable (if you buy one with tensioners sorted, water pump and gearbox oil changed). The XJS will appreciate quicker (much more so already in the UK). Which one will get you more admiring looks? It all depends on the audience and do you really care anyway? They are both fine, stylish cars, but quite different - I've had both and still have my long-term XJS. If you want a great hobby - buy an XJS. If you just want the better driving car - buy an XK8/ XKR.

And of course, my opinion is worth nothing either!

Good luck with your decision!

Paul

Red Baron (10-06-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
The XK is a more modern vehicle but lacks the comfort of the XJ-S. The XJ-S is a more "fragile" vehicle when it comes to service and requires a lot of care. The XK is easier to sercvice and if something goes wrong, can be easier sorted... BUT at the same time, the V8 is also a PITA as it does have some weird issues... Like boire wash. The chains are frequently a big issue. The AJ6/AJ16 (depending on 3.6 or 4.0l models) is nearly bulletproof. NEARLY. It also has it's gubbins and gremlins...
Alan, the reason why I used this quote is because I could not disagree more with the statement that the XJS is a more "fragile" vehicle. I own two 1995 XJS convertibles with the AJ16 and I can state from personal experience I have enjoyed a very trouble free and reliable ownership experience with my Jags. One I drive all the time and I can say without hesitation that for a 20 plus old car it has just been a pleasure to drive and super reliable.

I like the XK8 and when I was looking at buying my first XJS I spent a great deal of time comparing the AJ16 XJS to the XK8 and the two main factors that kept me from getting the XK8 was that it was too modern looking for me and also the amount of money I was reading it was taking to keep the XK8 running correctly. All one has to do is spend some time reading through the XK8 forum posts and you can quickly see that when a part fails on the XK8 it can become very expensive. For example when my throttle body sensor acts up on the AJ16 I just replace the sensor, but when the throttle body sensor on the XK8 fails you may have to replace the entire throttle body on the XK8 so what cost me say less than a $100.00 dollars to deal with on my AJ16 can cost $1200.00 to $1500.00 on the XK8.

I was looking at getting a XK8 after I bought my first XJS and I was about to pull the trigger on a 2000 XK8 when I found some of the service records in the glove box. There was one receipt that stated that a warning code had come up on the dash and that the car went into limp mode. The trans. module had to be replaced for a cost of right around $1300.00 and another receipt stated that the auto power top latch sprayed out fluid and that cost over $1000.00 to repair. I could go on but suffice to say I have never had my car go into limp mode or had any kind of trans light come up on the dash ( the '95 does not have a trans. warning light ) and my '95's have manual convertible top latches so I do not have to worry about the " green shower ".

There is something else I noticed when I was checking out the XK8 and that was how cheap some of the materials were used on the car. For example just compare the belt molding at the base of the door glass on the XK8 compared to the XJS-on the XK8 it is a thin piece of colored plastic and on the XJS it is a solid moulding with a heavy chrome strip running through the center of the molding. Another thing I spotted and felt when checking out the XK8 was how thin and cheap feeling the front seats were compared to the XJS.

All this said I still like the XK8 but was so impressed with my first '95 XJS that I invested in a second one. I will post a few pics of one of my XJS' taken at a recent British car show parked next to my friends super nice E-type.

The XJS is like nothing else on the road-when you are sitting in the car you feel like you are driving a Rolls or Bently and it's low wide stance just oozes sportiness, class and style. Damn I love my XJS' and cannot take one of them out without having people stop me and tell me what a beautiful car I am driving.

Attached Thumbnails XJS vs XK8-dscn1408.jpg   XJS vs XK8-dscn1409.jpg   XJS vs XK8-dscn1410.jpg   XJS vs XK8-dscn1411.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
Forcedair1 (11-06-2017), Greg in France (10-06-2017), Inmass (12-08-2022), Red Baron (10-06-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:30 PM

Can I change my mind? :-) My XJS is out of commission again with a coolant leak. So tomorrow I have no choice but to drive the XK8. What a rough life.

Greg in France (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input. As I suspected, no clear winner as each has pros & cons. Might just come down to whichever crosses my path first....

Old 10-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Baron
Thanks for all the input. As I suspected, no clear winner as each has pros & cons. Might just come down to whichever crosses my path first....
Just get one of each.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:21 AM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I have an XJ-S 1977 manual and a 2000 convertible XKR and I love driving either one. When I drive the XJ-S I move to a soft, comfortable, powerful and fast 70s car and when I do the XKR gives me sensations of powerful, sophisticated, elegant and sporty but more modern car but with more freedom which gives the circular without roof. With either one you will hit.
​​​

Forcedair1 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

For what it's worth, I am 6' 0", longer torso, shorter legs (30" Inseam). Fit fine in the XJS, really do not fit in the newer car.

Mike

Old 11-06-2017, 05:14 AM
Received 201 Likes on 132 Posts

I really love those "Kent" wheels on the early xjs. Even more than the "starfish"ones on mine.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

My input is a firm recommendation which, like others here, is based on personal experience . . . buy both, or buy neither! But . . . and there is always a but . . . if you get either, get the very best you can afford.

In the XK8/R, that means later MYs with silky smooth 4.2L V8 with simply superb ZF 6HP26 auto, bigger better brakes, and superior features like ACC etc. That package will be expensive, but set aside extra to seek out the SatNav variant, then upgrading with modern in-dash replacement. You will be guaranteed a slippery sports that looks as fresh, fast and reliable as any 2017 alternative.

The XJ-S and all its later variants (XJS, XJ-SC) are very different animals . . . difficult to describe to anyone who has not experienced what GT driving is all about. If, like me, you live a generous 650Km trip to your capital city, then the long, loping legs of that magnificent V12 reign supreme . . . fuel consumption aside. I have no experience of the I6, nor would I seek it . . . to me, if deprived of its unique strength, it is doubtful whether those GT attributes remain.

So, comparing like for like, say both coupes, these cars are not as alike as you may believe . . . sure they are both Jaguars . . . but beyond the badges, they are chalk and cheese. That sums up my case for getting both!

Reality may require you to choose . . . and that raises my Plan B . . . buy neither! Why not plan not 1 but 2 long weekend trips away, hiring (not buying) first an XJS then an XK8? Take partner, luggage, golf clubs, whatever and enjoy the drive, through city and country. Discuss and record both you and your partner's findings.

Then . . . buy both !!!
Cheers,

Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 11-06-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Just drive both. You can keep either on the road. One is and I6 with some other less modern bits you may need to worry about but the other is a more difficult to work on v8 with more modern bits that can make it more reliable but harder to repair. Its a wash.

The are totally different in the styling department inside and out. Try both and go with your preference IMO