XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

'07 owners (and others), antenna opinion please.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default '07 owners (and others), antenna opinion please.

My car hits the paint booth tomorrow. Command decision time for the morning. $600 removes the antenna and fills the hole (welded aluminum backing plat with filler the most likely process.)

So now I have to ponder the reality. Is making the telescoping antenna go away worth $600? (I suspect I can negotiate down to $500, but that's just a gut feeling right now.)

I understand per other posts that an alternate antenna can be adapted for under $50, and having 10 years electronics maintenance in my background says that part is pretty easy.

Whats your thoughts?
I see no resale gain or loss, so it is just a personal "looks" preference. I totally understand the "it's my car" thing but wanted impressions from others. Not often you get a car repainted, so it may be my cheapest chance if I want to pull the trigger.

Would you get it done?

Thanks all,
Vince

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
My car hits the paint booth tomorrow. Command decision time for the morning. $600 removes the antenna and fills the hole (welded aluminum backing plat with filler the most likely process.)

So now I have to ponder the reality. Is making the telescoping antenna go away worth $600? (I suspect I can negotiate down to $500, but that's just a gut feeling right now.)

I understand per other posts that an alternate antenna can be adapted for under $50, and having 10 years electronics maintenance in my background says that part is pretty easy.

Whats your thoughts?
I see no resale gain or loss, so it is just a personal "looks" preference. I totally understand the "it's my car" thing but wanted impressions from others. Not often you get a car repainted, so it may be my cheapest chance if I want to pull the trigger.

Would you get it done?

Thanks all,
Vince
You may not see any resale gain or loss, but there is nothing I hate more than a modified car when it comes to buying a used car, no matter how tastefully done it is. For that reason, any modifications I make I make sure are reversible. You asked for an opinion and I gave it to you!

Out of curiosity, what on earth happened to your paint that you need to repaint the whole car?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

I think most of us will agree that your antenna is old school and detracts from the lines of the car. Since you're already thinking about getting rid of it, if you don't do it you'll probably regret it, particularly if you plan to keep the car for at least another 2 or 3 years. Only you can decide if it's worth the cost.

Just my

Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I think it's highly unlikely that a prospective new owner would even know the antenna had been changed. And if he knows the car has been repainted he'll understand you taking the opportunity to remove it. No downside if the antenna bugs you, and if it's worth the money to you. Not sure it would bother me personally, unless it was prone to getting bent, stuck, corroded, etc.

Bruce

Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86

Out of curiosity, what on earth happened to your paint that you need to repaint the whole car?
Took it over a mountain pass in storm. Oregon uses crushed red lava rock. In the end, it destroyed the sides, front and rear bumper, headlights, fog-lights, grill and windshield. Light damage to he hood got it included, and no metal seams to tape or blend to added the roof. At that point the hatchback was all that was to be left alone. They decided to paint it to the minimize any possible fade or blending problems...
I certainly hope insurance goes after Oregon DOT for some of it.

Vince

BTW whats up the the rabbit wearing a pancake on its head? ^^ I've seen it a couple places now?

Last edited by CleverName; 05-02-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

The antenna is old school as someone else pointed out. I was gonna do this on the 07 I had, but then traded it before actually doing it.

I really don't consider this a "mod". I would consider this an "upgrade" in both functionality and cosmetic appearance. To me a mod is something that an owner does that makes the car different in some way than other cars of the same make. You will simply be bringing the car up to and inline with later model cars. You are not adding god-awful neon lights under the car or some ridiculous looking ricer fender skirt.

I say do it and bring the lines of the rear end up to date. And what a fine rear end it is.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'd just remove the fuse and keep the doe in your pocket or use for something else.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

The antennae doesn't really bother me one way or the other. Based on your other posts Vince I'd save the $600 and put it towards the 18" wheels you've discussed. I'd bet you'd get more pleasure out of them.

Steve

Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sjtyrer
The antennae doesn't really bother me one way or the other. Based on your other posts Vince I'd save the $600 and put it towards the 18" wheels you've discussed. I'd bet you'd get more pleasure out of them.

Steve

Yup already made the call... Antenna stays....

Vince