XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2007 XKR Convertible Getting Wrapped

Old 05-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2007 XKR Convertible Getting Wrapped

I Just Purchased a 07 XKR convert, The Car is Grey with Black Top and Interior, I just sent it in to the shop to Wrap it in Pearl White , I also Purchased xkr-s Spoiler From Mina Gallery, here is a before pic

Attached Thumbnails 2007 XKR Convertible Getting Wrapped-1396408495384.jpg   2007 XKR Convertible Getting Wrapped-1396408496315.jpg   2007 XKR Convertible Getting Wrapped-1396408489498.jpg  
Old 05-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguarxkr1
I Just Purchased a 07 XKR convert, The Car is Grey with Black Top and Interior, I just sent it in to the shop to Wrap it in Pearl White , I also Purchased xkr-s Spoiler From Mina Gallery, here is a before pic
Nice...I see the previous owner installed the Jaguar Leaper badge on rear.

Looking forward to seeing the wrap.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Can't wait to see the results and here your experience. There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about wrapping, they've been doing it for years on buses and such, even a lot recently on comercial airplanes (Southwest airlines) and $20+M Executive jets so it's been around for many years and proven to hold up as well as paint. Can't wait to see yours in pearl white! Let us know the details - which shop, price, cost, etc if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Good luck!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:41 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Can't wait to see the results and here your experience. There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about wrapping, they've been doing it for years on buses and such, even a lot recently on comercial airplanes (Southwest airlines) and $20+M Executive jets so it's been around for many years and proven to hold up as well as paint. Can't wait to see yours in pearl white! Let us know the details - which shop, price, cost, etc if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Good luck!
Second that! Can't wait to see the results.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

My 09 convert. is porcelein white with ivory/slate interior, black top. Great color combo, yours should look super in pearl white, looking forward to the pix

Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper

Good luck!
I don't see how wrap holds up as good as paint? Most only are good for 5 years. I looked at 4-5 wrapped cars this weekend and up close they all were terrible. Now of course it is all in the skill of the installer and what you pay for the installation. But they all had bubbles, edges coming off, and places where the wrap has already disappeared. They look good about 10 steps away but if you step closer you can see all the imperfections.

I am sure it can be done I just have not encountered a wrap job were I said this is awesome and I want that on my car.

I have seen photos of cars were all the lights, bumpers, and other body parts were taken off for the wrap to be applied and on the photos the end result looked awesome, I just have not seen one in person up close.

The following 2 users liked this post by Schwabe:
bobdr1 (05-12-2014), richzak (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Do we assume the wrap is in loo of a repaint and is reversible? What is the length of time the wrap will last. Is the paint damaged while putting on the wrap or taking it off. I heard that this is not a cheap investment , do you mind giving us a ball park price. Good luck and we are waiting for the results.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Your car and my car are twins (except for the wheels). My liquid silver, when cleaned and waxed (always) looks like the paint is wet. I mean near perfect. I bought this one because I liked the color combo. Do you not like the silver? Just looking to change it up for a while? Is you paint damaged? Just curious.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I don't see how wrap holds up as good as paint? Most only are good for 5 years. I looked at 4-5 wrapped cars this weekend and up close they all were terrible. Now of course it is all in the skill of the installer and what you pay for the installation. But they all had bubbles, edges coming off, and places where the wrap has already disappeared. They look good about 10 steps away but if you step closer you can see all the imperfections.

I am sure it can be done I just have not encountered a wrap job were I said this is awesome and I want that on my car.
I would never consider doing this to my car. I can't see how this will hold up. IMO it is a total waste of money. Photos can make anything look good. In order to really evaluate the wrap, you must see the car in person and close up.

What is the device on the lower front bumper? A radar detector?

Last edited by richzak; 05-12-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Can't wait to see it.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

The paint looks quite good in the pictures - why wrap it?

It'll be interesting to see how well the lower portions hold up to road debris/weather etc. I wrapped the lower cowling on my race bike once just to see how it would hold up (I used some 3M black carbon) and it lasted all of one track session.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had large military stars place on my airplane wings in 2001 and they are shrinking and cracking and need to be replaced. Perhaps the tech has improved in the last 13 years.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Your original colour is stunning!!
My concerns with the wrap is that you will probably not get the shine like the original paintwork. Secondly, watch where they do the edges, normally a sharp blade is used to trim the edges, this ends up cutting into your original paintwork. The only time you will see this is when you remove the wrap, then it's too late!

I personally would not buy a car that has been wrapped because you don't know whats underneath and what it's hiding. remove the wrap and you are left with all these criss cross fine cut marks.

Please, think long and hard before doing this. My 2cents worth.

The following users liked this post:
bobdr1 (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I have seen several cars wrapped here in the Pacific northwest.... It is a very popular mod and has no ill effects on the existing paint that I have heard of.
Same material as Clear Bra I believe, so it should hold up for a reasonable time.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

V

Old 05-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Those that have seen terrible wrap jobs - have you ever seen a terrible paint job? I've seen cars that looked like they were painted by means of someone spitting through a straw or using a sponge to lay the paint down. You don't know if the bad wrap was an expert or a true hack.

I've seen lots of horrific tint jobs but have always had all my cars tinted with great results.

Let's give this the benefit of the doubt before throwing the doubt stones and uniformed advice as to why he shouldn't do something most know little about. They've come a LONG ways in material and expertise in doing this process... let's see how it turns out before crucifying his decision.

Please keep us in the loop, excited to hear your result and thoughts. This is being done a lot on private aircraft now, and those take a beating from the propellers kicking up lots of gravel on take off, the majority of others on the plane websites have cast the same doubts and advice without having knowledge...

Last edited by Leeper; 05-12-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mgaffney
I had large military stars place on my airplane wings in 2001 and they are shrinking and cracking and need to be replaced. Perhaps the tech has improved in the last 13 years.
They have definitely made improvements to the wrap. I did my interior and it was surprisingly easy to work with - way more so than window tint, for example. You can make mistakes, remove it, heat it up and watch it straighten itself out, then re-apply it without issue. It's cool stuff.

My main concern with doing this to an expensive car would be the removal, as 3M only guarantees that it can be safely removed for 3 years without damaging the paint.

One cool thing about the wrap is scratch removal - small stuff disappears all by itself when exposed to sunlight and deeper stuff can be removed with a heat gun.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Here are images of wraps (scroll down) done by one of our leading detail shops (Northwest Auto Salon) Warning, Pic heavy!

NWAS 2013: A Year in the Rear View

Check out some of the wraps done in 2013
Just to give the nay-sayers pause.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I would never consider doing this to my car. I can't see how this will hold up. IMO it is a total waste of money. Photos can make anything look good. In order to really evaluate the wrap, you must see the car in person and close up.

What is the device on the lower front bumper? A radar detector?
Richzak, that look's like an EZ pass emitter. As I have one that looks like that.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Richzak, that look's like an EZ pass emitter. As I have one that looks like that.
Got it!....we don't have toll roads in New Mexico, but I know what an EZ Pass is. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Absolutely true. You should've seen the Porsche 944 I painted with Rustoleum!!!!