XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2008 XKR wont turnover

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:28 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry 2008 XKR wont turnover

Hi Everyone
My xkr is driving me mad
I drove home yesterday all good pulled up on the drive and left the car running as I was on the phone.
maybe 10 min's after I noticed DSC unavailable Park Brake Fault Cats Fault all showing on the clocks which I thought was strange.
Turned off the car tried to restart and nothing it will not turn over ....ignition comes on but wont crank the engine just powers off again
had a read on the forum last night so disconnected the battery and left it for a few hours reconnected it and then turned on the ignition.... with no brake depression left it 30+ seconds but all the errors still appear and when I press the footbrake then the start button just powers off.
I have checked all the fuses in all 3 fuse boxes all good
any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Last edited by Halex; 05-31-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:02 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Halex
Hi Everyone
My xkr is driving me mad
I drove home yesterday all good pulled up on the drive and left the car running as I was on the phone.
maybe 10 min's after I noticed DSC unavailable Park Brake failure Cats
Failure all showing on the clocks which I thought was strange.
Turned off the car tried to restart and nothing.ignition comes on but wont crank the engine just powers off again
had a read on the forum last night so disconnected the battery and left it for a few hours reconnected it and then turned on the ignition with no brake depression left it 30+ seconds but all the errors still appear and nothing when I press the start button just powers off.
I have checked all the fuses in all 3 fuse boxes all good
any ideas would be appreciated thanks

Open up the trunk remove the cover to the battery compartment
see if the terminals to the battery have any corrosion on them
if not, take some steel wool or emery paper and clean off connections to battery and the terminals. scuff them up good and make sure they are clean
replace cables
try to start it
if nothing put a charger on it. Nothing above 40 amps and leave it on for two hours
try to start it then.
if nothing clean the hot wire to the starter and its terminal
clean the negative from the battery to the ground
try to start
if nothing take out the battery
go and have a draw down at an auto parts store put on the battery.
look on battery to see date of manufacture.
if older than 3 years put a new one in
I dont recommend putting a battery charger on a jag on 300 or 400 amps to start it. you run the risk of frying something
did you run over anything that could have tore up the exposed wires under the car
make sure you arent in any gear: d or r

The following 3 users liked this post by SoCal Babe:
1 of 19 (08-01-2021), Lothar52 (06-08-2014), Nookat (08-01-2021)
Old 05-31-2014, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Welcome to our forum Halex....
Sorry your visit had to be under less than ideal conditions...

As SoCal points out, batteries are an Achilles Heal to the Jag and threads abound discussing our options. Start there, and if a replacement is needed, consider stepping up to an AGM battery to ward off the electrical demons.

BOL and keep us posted!
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 05-31-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I heard that Duracell has a new AGM battery that fits the X150 that only costs $100. Anyone heard good things about them?

It seems the benefit of an AGM battery is they self-discharge slower, and they recharge much faster (I've heard 6 times faster than a standard battery).

Old 05-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Unhappy No avail

Thanks for the tips SoCal
I have cleaned the terminals charged the battery didn't work I have been and fetched a replacement even though not an agm battery as they did not have stock.
Checked the cables to both ground and starter still nothing.
Replaced the battery with a new one
The ignition turns on as normal the car begins its normal checks then returns DSC error Park Brake failure Cats System failure.
followed by press brake pedal to start ....ignition is on
when I depress the brake pedal and press the starter the ignition just turns off.
If I press the ignition again the lights come on and I can press and hear the park brake working and feel on the brake pedal.

Is there anything else you can think of that I can try ?

Old 05-31-2014, 02:43 PM
Unhappy Gear Selector

I checked the gear selector which when the ignition is first on before the checks can move out of P through the selectors.
Tried in N but just dings and says put gear selector in Park

Old 05-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hummmmm
Have you tried a different key fob? Our cars will typically tell you it cant find a key, so that is unlikely, but I wonder if the anti-theft is in lock-down or does not recognize the fob? Grabbing at straws here... Too mamy errors for a fob issue I think....sorry...

Old 05-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Red face Key Fob

Tried my spare key both in the key slot as well as out
the car recognises both still the same probs
Looks like a car transporter to the *******s on Monday if no luck over the weekend.
Only bought the car 1 week ago and thought great a problem free Cat haha
full jaguar history 1 owner same old same old,
I was beginning to think what a nice car not as quick as my SL but everyday usable....
I guess my main problem is that its blocking the entrance to my driveway so I cant get the other cars out :-)

I hope of a solution !!!

Old 05-31-2014, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Well, dont let this get you down... This generation is actually known for great reliability, letting us snicker at the "wives tales" that have carried forward from Jags of the past....

Once it gets resolved, your gonna be smiling each and every day you fire her up!

BOL
Vince

Old 06-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Red face Today

Well I went a little more in depth today tested all the fuses and relays with my meter ...all good and working properly.
The battery I fitted is a Bosch AGM £183.00 tested the original jag battery which is fine still so I guess I have a spare but eliminated the dreaded battery from the list.
I have read many EPB problems across all ranges on the forum in most the cases the car will still start :-(
I did find an internet post which was the same as mine but no follow up solution :-(
@007 XK Electric Parking Brake Failure Jag will not start - Fixya.

this was virtually identical to my problem.

At this point still non the wiser
Alex

Old 06-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Unhappy Whats Next

Well I have booked an AA transporter to take the car the Jag dealers at 9am in the morning and lets see what story they wish to spin as to the cause.

I today purchased the current diagnostic machine from Launch with the up to 2014 Jaguar software. look forward to having a play and see what it can do.

I will be back with an update and solution once I get the cat back from the hospital :-)

Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Wow, these kitties sure are temperamental! I have a lot to look forward too when my '08 arrives in the next couple of weeks. First thing will be the battery, then to the dealer for a state inspection. while there, I might just offer it to them in a trade for an F type LOL! Or, pounce to the nearest AM DB 9 dealer.......?
I have to add, my '67 E-Type with it's "Prince of Darkness" mystic was never this temperamental. My XJR, had it's OEM battery for 9 years before giving up the ghost. Perhaps, I need to change "Happy Motoring" to "Good Luck, hope you make it home"!

Last edited by RedRider48; 06-02-2014 at 09:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Unhappy The Saga Continues

Well Yesterday I went to the s.tealers to speak with the mechanic at jaguar after having the car recovered there.
Apparently there is a brake pressure sensor A fail in the ABS Module
Model number C2P14581 the code is C0044-28 this could be the reason the car wont crank and the dsc fault is displayed.
They have quoted £1715 for the part and get this a further £1250 to fit as apparently it is behind the left hand front wheel arch liner.
As this is both the ECU and the pump the brakes have to be recalibrated and pressure bled and it can be difficult.
I paid the diagnosis bill and I am having the car brought home :-( I found some tech bulletins on line that I would like to try with my newly purchased IDS and I think I will remove the abs ECU and send it in to be tested.
They are unsure if this is the remedy and I don't fancy being 3K out of bed if it isn't.
I was considering that due to the location of the unit and the recent heavy rain fall we have had, if there has been possible water ingress to it.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Damn, I nearly mentioned the brake system, then thought "Nahhh". Sorry, should have done.

Basically, the ECU won't crank until a bunch of conditions are satisfied - one of which is, the brakes are on. Insufficient brake pressure = no start. Similar issue happened with another forum member who was rebuilding a crashed XK - everything lit up, but it would't crank. Once he re-bled the brakes, it burst into life.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Halex
Well Yesterday I went to the s.tealers to speak with the mechanic at jaguar after having the car recovered there.
Apparently there is a brake pressure sensor A fail in the ABS Module
Model number C2P14581 the code is C0044-28 this could be the reason the car wont crank and the dsc fault is displayed.
They have quoted £1715 for the part and get this a further £1250 to fit as apparently it is behind the left hand front wheel arch liner.
As this is both the ECU and the pump the brakes have to be recalibrated and pressure bled and it can be difficult.
I paid the diagnosis bill and I am having the car brought home :-( I found some tech bulletins on line that I would like to try with my newly purchased IDS and I think I will remove the abs ECU and send it in to be tested.
They are unsure if this is the remedy and I don't fancy being 3K out of bed if it isn't.
I was considering that due to the location of the unit and the recent heavy rain fall we have had, if there has been possible water ingress to it.
This is horrible and you just bought the car one week ago!!! I am so sorry for this situation.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Unhappy Tech Info

Well as I seem to be being baptised by fire :-)

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...206002NASF.pdf

I thought I would add a link to the tech bulletin I found with regard to
the DTC Error code.

The following users liked this post:
1 of 19 (08-01-2021)
Old 06-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Hmm - is your car within the VIN range quoted (B00001 to B05215)? If it is, it sounds like a recalibration of the ABS system might fix it - at least worth a try, anyway.

Last edited by Ngarara; 06-10-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

The foot on the brake pedal to start is a major bane on any car IMHO. Hate it with a passion. Something Game of Thrones-ish should happen to the person who came up with the idea. How about popping their skull like a zit as in an episode a couple of weeks ago?

Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Maybe a buy a car without it or fit a few wires/relays to defeat it?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Thumbs up Sorted

Well on the car being delivered back to me on Friday of last week
still as a non runner :-( I read through the Jaguar IDS diagnostic print out from the dealers.
I scanned the DTC with my own IDS and low and behold I got the same results as the main dealer.
I then tried to re calibrate the brake pressure sensor to get a failed message
On further investigation I then ran an ABS module install to which this recalibrated the YAW Control , Lateral Control, ABS Module , DTC ect
during the process which took maybe 20 minutes the IDS cleared all the DTC codes and did the recalibration and low and behold all correct.
Pressed the ignition start button and guess what :-) the engine started no problems no warnings.
This process cost me the sum total of £80.00 which included the mongoose cable.
Having scanned the car today there are no error codes no failed components and no DTC's.
I have used thee car for over 200 miles this weekend and no problems whatsoever.
I have my XKR back and sorted ..£3k better off than if I had taken notice of the S tealer.
All the car wanted was a reboot.
It seems apparent that the dealers run the SDD on the car, print it out and presume that this is the problem, they don't clear the codes to see if there is a hard fault and have no desire to investigate the possible cause other than take the route of SDD says.... "this is the problem fit the new part"... at the customers expense.
Re run the IDS again and hope they don't get yet another problem from a different module. If they do we pay again

As usual diagnosed and repaired by myself... but I am a happy man.

The following 5 users liked this post by Halex:
1 of 19 (08-01-2021), Gillsy (10-05-2023), jahummer (06-16-2014), Ngarara (06-16-2014), u102768 (06-16-2014)

Quick Reply: 2008 XKR wont turnover