XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 XKR prices

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2009 XKR prices

I made a mistake the other day and drove a new Lotus Evora and now really want one. I'm nearing the end of my XKR lease and have a buy out of around 54K the whole sale value of the car is supposedly around 50 K so I would be forced to recapitalize 4K which I would prefer not to do. NADA list a excelent condition 09 xkr portfolio coupe with 29K miles as a $70K car, does this seem to be an acceptable real world price? Also is there much of a market for used Jags? Any ideas of good places to sell this car I'd be happy to get out even and give someone a good deal.
Thanks

Last edited by xkrmd; 08-03-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

Originally Posted by xkrmd
I made a mistake the other day and drove a new Lotus Evora and now really want one. I'm nearing the end of my XKR lease and have a buy out of around 54K the whole sale value of the car is supposedly around 50 K so I would be forced to recapitalize 4K which I would prefer not to do. NADA list a excelent condition 09 xkr portfolio coupe with 29K miles as a $70K car, does this seem to be an acceptable real world price? Also is there much of a market for used Jags? Any ideas of good places to sell this car I'd be happy to get out even and give someone a good deal.
Thanks
I think the NADA $70K retail value for a 2009 XKR Portfolio coupe with 29K miles is at least $10K high, even if your car is in mint condition and has all the options (ivory/slate interior, adaptive cruise, Alcon brakes). My opinion is based on what I paid for my XKR Portfolio Cvt last October, as well as current listings on cars.com, autotrader.com, and eBay. I also think there is a very good market for used XKRs, particularly in the sunbelt states. If you want to get a good feel for what your car is worth in your area, I suggest going to a CarMax store to see what they will offer to buy your car for cash. I also think that an authorized Jaguar dealer would be eager to buy your car to resell as a CPO vehicle, assuming it can meet those standards.

I also agree with your statement: "I made a mistake the other day and drove a new Lotus Evora.." An obese woman was in the ER after having been hit by an Evora and had to have it removed!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd agree that $70K would be too high. More realistically something in the mid to upper $50s based. I just purchased a CPO 09 XKR Portfolio Convertible with <16K miles.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks
It's good to have a reality check on values. My dealer said that they could get one for 48-50 at auction so they don't want the car for 54. Though if they are selling in the mid to upper 50's or better hopefully selling it for 54K will go smoothly.
The above lotus comment is well noted but the evora is a larger more comfortable car than the others in the lotus line and actually has more rear seat room than the XK. Not that either is comfortable but usable in a pinch. After 26 yrs of daily Jag driving I really need a change.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts
Default Change you can believe in...

I can understand the need for a change, but going from a luxurious GT to a boy racer Evora (S?) is, for me, too radical unless I was planning some track time. Sure, the Evora is great looking and the S has great performance. But from what I've read about the Evora (not having driven one), the deciding factor for me would be the overall (dis)comfort level (entry/exit, visibility, etc.) - a change I couldn't live with as a daily driver. At around $90K for the Evora S, I'd also look at the M5/6, 911 and SL before making a final decision.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 PM

Track time is a part of the puzzle I need a wet weather alternate for my open Cobra. You would be suprized at how good the ride is in the evora it really is very un lotus like until you turn the steering wheel and push the go fast pedal. It's no exige which is the ultimate boyracer car. I've owned the others in the past not enough charm with the German marquis. Time will tell I guess the XKR is a fantastic car but must feed the passion and move on.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Road and Track claims the Evora has a Toyota Camry 6 cylinder engine?????? With a Toyota transaxle????? Remapped ECU on the engine, and the transaxle is used in Toyota diesels?

Zero to 60 in 4.9 seconds...

Interesting...

Old 08-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I would think you could easily sell your '09 for $54k and higher if you have a bit more time to wait. The few '09 portfolio coupes I've seen are around $64k at a dealer CPO'd.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by rscultho
Road and Track claims the Evora has a Toyota Camry 6 cylinder engine?????? With a Toyota transaxle????? Remapped ECU on the engine, and the transaxle is used in Toyota diesels?

Zero to 60 in 4.9 seconds...

Interesting...
even though Jeremy Clarkson is partial to the brits he gives the evora a great review
&#x202a;Lotus Evora road test - Top Gear - BBC&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Thanks Dan That's what I'm hoping for, I still love the car so it wouldn't suck to wait out the lease for another 6 months but If I can find someone locally that's interested hopefully I can sell it fast and save them some cash. It''s not a cpo but still has 15 months and 21K miles of warranty left.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

try posting it to some of the lease swap sites. I looked at doing and there were some interesting deals for me... The locations just didn't work out...

Also, I think you should be able to stay whole if you do that. I really don't think an '09 sells in the $50's this early. Manhiem is selling an "average" 20k mile car for a little over $60.

Usually dealers tack on $10K to the auction prices and add the JSE (which costs them $2k).

Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by xkrmd
even though Jeremy Clarkson is partial to the brits he gives the evora a great review
&#x202a;Lotus Evora road test - Top Gear - BBC&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube
Wasn't trying to criticize...my apologies if it came across that way. I don't know a lot about Lotus...I was just genuinely surprised to see that they have Toyota Camry engines and transaxles. I was expecting something more "exotic" or "exclusive" given what they cost.

As to the price of your 09, a few months back when I got my 07, I looked at 07, 08, and 09.

I wound up buying an 07 ($44K, 11K miles)for several reasons, but I was also looking at an 08 for $48995 and and 09 for $55k. These were from dealers in Houston and Dallas.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:58 PM

Rscultho, no offense taken, when I first started looking into the brand it made me think of the old days of the Sterling (Great concept not so great car). Turns out lotus is able to save a fortune on engine/tranny R/D by sourcing from toyota and have a rock solid drive gear. The cost goes into a incredible design in the suspension and frame.
It is remarkable that a car can depreciate almost 50% in just 30 months you did the right thing by buying one that has already taken the deprciation hit.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You might check with Cherry Hill Classic Cars in Cherry, NJ

Old 08-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 2010 Evora LE

I have been a lurker on this website for some time now. When the Evora came out it was grossly overpriced at ~85K for a Launch Edition (fully loaded bird). For that money I was willing to look a a few year old XKR. Yes a different animal, but still in the GT theme. Well, my Elise went in for a little sandwich plate seal repair and I got to talking to the Lotus Salesperson. Seems they were getting eager to move those 2010's finally. The long and short of it is I now own a Persian Blue with Charcoal leather and Pearl header 2010 Lotus Evora. First and most surprising observation. Daily driver ride quality is superb! Interior leather , once reconditioned with leatherique after sitting outside a year plus is beautiful. Car handles like a dream. That Camry motor, in this application has a very nice snarl at high rpms. Remember, that Jag has a Mustang motor! It is quite efficient also. I have averaged just under 25mpg while breaking car in and first highway run at ~75mph netted me ~30.5 mpg and that includes sitting in traffic for 10 minutes! It was at 34mpg before we slowed. Car is quite stunning. It is a real Lotus and will handle circles around any Jag out there I hate to say. I'll give the XKR a few car lengths down a straight because they'll need it the way this Evora corners!! BTW I did the deal for ~10K less than it would cost me to get into a 2010 XKR (older J gate models weren't worth it to me). They deserve a serious look folks.

The following users liked this post:
pabanker (11-09-2012)
Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM

I would rather have a Jaguar

Old 08-17-2011, 02:15 PM

"Car and Driver"
evora
Power will come from a Toyota 3.5-liter V-6 with variable valve timing, tuned to produce 276 horsepower and 252 lb-ft of torque, and Lotus says the car clears the 0-to-60-mph sprint in less than five seconds and tops out around 160 mph.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh I do have a Jag. The wife has no intention of letting go of her 2004 XJ VDP (Radiance Red with Ivory Interior) that we have owned since new. But seriously, would you take your Jag to a track day and flog it like I do to my Lotus Elise and soon Evora??
Unfortunately, the one other issue i have had to deal with isthe fact that the 2 CT Jag dealers have had the SAME XKR (both Convertibles) on the showroom floor since last winter. I was most certain that I did not want wood in an XKR but was never able to see the braided aluminum interior finish. They have sold less XK/XKR's in CT than Lotus Evora's. That had me a bit concerned, if demand is that low, depreciation would be murder!!
Don't get me wrong, the XK/XKR is an exquisite machine. Maybe when the wife finally decides to say goodbye to her XJ we'll replace it with an XK or XKR.
BTW Don't need C&D BS because I own one. It is stealthy quick, much more so than my Elise that wails on 2nd cam (BTW another sweet Toyota motor that is also bullet proof)

Initial reason for post was to tell XKRMD that the Evora is truly a wonderful machine as well. Can't go wrong with either choice. XKR is an Ultimate street toy while the Evora is more of a track weapon. Seen as I am Skip Barber trained, you see which persona hooked me!!

Last edited by ddsski; 08-17-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 PM

ddsski thanks for the input. My Evora arrives on the 24th and I cant wait. I've driven Jags for over 20yrs and when I made the move from my 06 XJR to my 09 XKR i was hoping I could use it as a rainy day track car(Also a skippy grad) as well as a dd. What I've found is the car is really a pig in the twisties which in all due respect to the XKR it's clearly not what it's designed to do. When I drove the Evora I was in love lot's of brit quirkiness and handling nirvana. I've loved every mile in my XKR but it's good to know there are other options out there and glad to hear you're happy with your car. BTW what dealer did you go through. I had contemplated lotus of watertown. but ended up going with Aston-Martin/Lotus of Waltham.