XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 XKR throttle cut out under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Question 2010 XKR throttle cut out under acceleration

Got a strange problem with my 2010 XKR - 11K miles so not a high mileage car.

When I am driving up a steep hill on the interstate in slow moving traffic, traveling at around 30-40mph, if I press the accelerator (not bury it, just press it to give it more gas), the car will accelerate momentarily and then die, accelerate and die until I ease my foot off the throttle. I also noticed the problem in a less obvious way (surging wasn't as violent) when I was traveling on the downslope of the same hill in 40mph traffic. The electrical system isn't dying as the gauge needles and radio remain active throughout.

The result is a very physically bumpy ride as the car surges and quits in very quick succession.

It doesn't happen on level or gently sloping roads and if I bury the throttle on a flat road, I get the predictable tail end wiggle as it struggles to get the power down through the rear wheels.

I run it on Premium gas and I'm trying to figure out which sensor might be acting up. I would have thought a throttle position sensor or a throttle body sensor might be faulty, however I'd expect the surging to still happen on a flat road. The other thought that has occurred to me is whether there is a fuel cut off sensor that shuts off the fuel supply if the car rolls in an accident. The fact that this is happening when the car is on a 30-40 degree slope makes me think it could be a faulty fuel sensor.

Anyone experienced anything like this with their XKR?

Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds to me like a mass airflow sensor. have someone obdII read it or drop by your dealer, happened to me not long ago.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Could be a faulty coil (they can be tested by a coil tester).

You might watch the fuel trims in case they provide clues. Easy & cheap to do.

Check for pending codes as well, might be the answer.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhuntbatch
sounds to me like a mass airflow sensor. have someone obdII read it or drop by your dealer, happened to me not long ago.
Had these symptoms on another car that came in
Ran the scanner and even though there was no engine light present the mass air flow sensor code came up

My suggestions before you hand over decent money to replace the sensor is to get it scanned as it could also be coil pack or faulty injector

Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

I am in the middle of this same issue, also with a 2010 XKR. With me, the Restricted Performance warning came on, went off, on again about a week later. Same idea, same speed, but driving on flat ground. Took it in to a dealer. Was initally told it was an injector issue, and they were going to replace an injector (and all the plugs). Then, today, this:

DEALER: I know we planned on you picking up your car tomorrow, but we just ran into another issue. We now have a misfire on cylinder #2. I will be calling the warranty company to add the repair. Let me know if you need a rental car tomorrow.

ME: Can I speak to the technician tomorrow? I'm curious about a two-cylinder failure from a single incident, especially if they are of differing causes.

DEALER: The initial concern was with a fuel injector. This cylinder is indicating an ignition coil failure. The technician did not seem overly concerned.

Well, I'm concerned. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass air flow sensor, engine stutter

Hi. I have a similar problem.
I have a 2010 XKR supercharged. My car also started to stutter about 1 year ago. It does it mainly after driving on the highway for maybe 20 min. When I then exit the highway and drive in the city, just regular streets and regular driving. It does not want to smoothly accelerate, instead it stutters. It does not do that if you are driving just city. I had then an error massage, meaning check engine light on. Brought to the Jaguar dealership. Code was mass airflow sensor. The exchanged 1 of them. Picked up the car. Was still having the same problem. Brought it back. This time they suggested to clean the fuel system with chemicals. Appeared to be somewhat helpful but the problem came pretty soon back. Took it to a different dealership, they suggested it may be due to the after market air filters that I had, changed it to the original filters, did not solve the problem.

Does anybody have an idea what else I could do.

Can anybody tell me were the mass airflow sensor is, so I can remove it and clean it. Of course I know that the mass airflow sensor is somewhere between the filter and the intake, but I could not identify it.
I tried looking for information online, meaning googled it, but could not find any information.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can somebody tell me where the mass airflow sensor is in a 2010 XKR.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mass airflow sensor is on the back of the air filter box,you'll have to remove front
tire and fender liner just like when you'll change the air filter.
https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts...ir-intake-scat

Old 10-02-2017, 06:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2010 xf sc is experiencing the same issue. The car starts and idles fine but when out on the road under acceleration it stutters and misses terribly. At first it didn't throw any codes at all, no cel. I took to the jag dealer. They put two new mass airflow sensors. $750.00 later, same symptoms. Still no codes. Drove the car a few more days and it finally a cel light the code was p0193, fuel rail pressure sensor A circuit high input. Took it back to the dealer they checked it out, said they didn't think it was the sensor. They weren't sure what was going on suggested that I drive the car until it breaks and then they will know what the problem is. PFFFFT!! WTF! So I am driving the car, so far it hasn't broke and is very miserable to drive. I sure hope some has answer to this problem. thank you in advance for any help as this issue has been going on for about 3 months. I'm sick of it!

Old 10-04-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

They don't sound much good. I'd be tempted to check the sensor's wiring & connectors and if OK replace the sensor.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Choked cats

Old 10-04-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

How about partially plugged fuel filter? Or potentially a fuel pump issue.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LosRubios
Got a strange problem with my 2010 XKR - 11K miles so not a high mileage car.

When I am driving up a steep hill on the interstate in slow moving traffic, traveling at around 30-40mph, if I press the accelerator (not bury it, just press it to give it more gas), the car will accelerate momentarily and then die, accelerate and die until I ease my foot off the throttle. I also noticed the problem in a less obvious way (surging wasn't as violent) when I was traveling on the downslope of the same hill in 40mph traffic. The electrical system isn't dying as the gauge needles and radio remain active throughout.

The result is a very physically bumpy ride as the car surges and quits in very quick succession.

It doesn't happen on level or gently sloping roads and if I bury the throttle on a flat road, I get the predictable tail end wiggle as it struggles to get the power down through the rear wheels.

I run it on Premium gas and I'm trying to figure out which sensor might be acting up. I would have thought a throttle position sensor or a throttle body sensor might be faulty, however I'd expect the surging to still happen on a flat road. The other thought that has occurred to me is whether there is a fuel cut off sensor that shuts off the fuel supply if the car rolls in an accident. The fact that this is happening when the car is on a 30-40 degree slope makes me think it could be a faulty fuel sensor.

Anyone experienced anything like this with their XKR?
I saw a bunch of posts suggesting different possibilities. Have you resolved this yet/

Old 10-08-2017, 05:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about the original post, but mine is still unresolved.

The following users liked this post:
chazaroo (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Posts #10 & 11. What was done?