XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Back seats for Dogs XK

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back seats for Dogs XK

I want to buy my wife a b-day present of a new XK. she takes our dog with her a lot and I can't see how she can easily get in to the back seat. the front seat doesn't go far enough forward. does anyone have a way to control the seat track or motor to move more forward?
thanks

Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Not sure I would want a dog in my Jaguar XK, especially if new.

I can't see how you could extend the range of motion either forward or backward on the seating. There is minimal space. The front drivers and passengers back portion of the seat can be folded forward for entry. There is a latch near the seatbelt that releases the seat so that a very small child or dog can be seated or for placement of small parcels, or perhaps a few grocery bags. Essentially the XK and XKR models are 2 seater cars, with only a token back seat.

You might consider putting the dog in the trunk.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

^Agreed

I know the seat back does lean forward, and although I have no dog now, I'm certain my Dobie could not have navigated her way in from the drivers side, and she was a good jumper. Too tight, and no real back floorboard as a helping step.

Just cant see it working for her, sorry.

Vince

Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Our Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Camber, fits in the back seat, but she is not loving this car. It's hard for move around. She rests her chin inbetween the two seats. Usually she'll go for the front seat which is fine if it's just one of us driving. I've never had an issue with scrapes or tears in leather from our dog's claws.

Fur... well it does get in the car, but I am not too concerned and a kitchen dish glove that is wet picks it all up very easily.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have to agree with Mosesbotbol. I have a border collie that rides in the back when there are two people in the car. It's kind of a tight fit, but, he is happy as long as he gets to go along. He either sits back there looking around, or rests his chin on the armrest when laying down.

He pretty much fills up the back seat, but he makes it work.

Oops, sorry all. I posted in a forum I know nothing about. I have an older xk8 and they do appear to have a better shaped rear seat than the newer ones. That being said, it probably depends on the size of the dog.

Sorry for sharing a worthless opinion.

Last edited by Friarshuck; 06-17-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: wrong forum
The following users liked this post:
CleverName (06-18-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

We have a pair of 60lb Golden Retrievers - one is 15 and has little to no chance of getting into the back seat. The other, he's 7 and very nimble. He can get back there no problem if I pull the seat all the way forward and tip the seat forward. However, once back there he's very restless. It's hard for him to turn around or lay down. Issue is two fold, the seats back there are VERY deep so its uncomfortable for him to sit in them for a long time and makes it almost impossible to lay down comfortably. Combine that with how narrow it is when both front seats are nearly all the way back and that's not a good combo.

Before the next trip I'm going to take some left over memory foam and cut an insert to go into both seat wells and across the center console to kind of level things out a bit and hope that makes things easier on the boy.

As for the hair, well, after 15 years of Golden ownership you just get used to kinky hair everywhere. I keep two lint rollers in the trunk to clean up.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Byte Me
We have a pair of 60lb Golden Retrievers - one is 15 and has little to no chance of getting into the back seat.
That sounds too big for any kind of comfort in the XK. I think they're probably just SOL for enjoying the back seat. When I first got the car, I thought Camber would go in the front seat and walk over the center arm rest and make her way to the back.

Never worked out that way.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I have an 18 month old Samoyed that I often take with me in my 2008 XK coupe. I used a rear seat cover from Pet Mart that straps on the headrests from the rear to the front seats, sort of like a hammock. I also used to hard pillows to fill in the deep seat wells that provided a mostly flat seat for the dog. Never the less he's not very happy back there, he is much better in the old 98 XK8, because there is more room back there.
What's interesting is that every review I read on the 06 and up XK stated that there was more room than the old pre 06 XK8, that is not what My dog believes.
Regards,
White Bear.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 5-yr old rescue Sheltie that actually likes riding in the Jag backseat, because to her, that tight space in the back actually functions like a cocoon. I normally place a folded towel, wedged the edges of the towel around the base of the backseat so it does not move around. Then I would put the doggy-seatbelt harness on Molly. It's difficult to get her to jump in the car, but since she's a little dog, I could just lift her and place her there. Once she's lying down, I clicked the seat belt through her harness. She would then just sit/lie down there the whole trip, and again, the front seat because the way it is positioned, creates a cocoon like area for her.

If I put her on the front seat, she would try to move around. She would attempt to at least cross the center console to sit on my lap. If I took her on a car ride on the daily driver Honda - on the backseat, she would move around a lot, alternating between the floor and the backseat, and never sit still.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

My two cocker spaniels jump in the front and I shoo them through the gap between the seats. But one of them drools in cars, so I used the car cover to cover the entire interior of the vehicle. But then I couldn't get fasten my seatbelt or shift into drive, so I adjusted it a little to cover everything but my seat and the gear knob. But then I got to the dog park. You don't realize how cool this car is until you park it among a bunch of beaters that people use to transport their dogs! And then somebody parked too close to me and then the dog's paws were muddy (not unusual, hence my username)... I think it's a lost cause.

But I'll keep working on it.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

I don't worry about the dirt at all. It wipes off clean and if Camber is for sure dirty I'll throw a towel down in the rear seat. I keep my cars clean, but I am not going to go crazy over daily use. Cars get washed once a week and what happens during the week, happens...

Old 06-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesman
...I can't see how she can easily get in to the back seat.
You live in CA - why not get a convertible? No problem with back-seat access in one of those.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I don't worry about the dirt at all. It wipes off clean and if Camber is for sure dirty I'll throw a towel down in the rear seat. I keep my cars clean, but I am not going to go crazy over daily use. Cars get washed once a week and what happens during the week, happens...
Yeah, it's really the saliva more than anything else. It left permanent streaks in the leather of my previous car. And they would always sniff my ear and drool on my shoulder while I was driving. But I just got this flexible mesh barrier from petsmart that straps on the back of the headrests. I'm thinking that, with one of those hammocks like White Bear has, may be just the thing.