XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad gas or water in the Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 10:12 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Bad gas or water in the Tank?

A couple of weeks ago, I was on about an hour and a half drive and stopped for gas. This particular station was an Arco and the pump kept clicking off. The station was crowded so I didn't want to go to another pump but it probably clicked off about 25 times while I was attempting to fill my tank. I finally got it filled up and drove off. About 20 or 30 minutes later on the freeway for about five seconds it felt like I was on a bumpy road and the car was kind of jerking along. I took my foot off the gas and then it was fine. On the way home it did a minor version of that for just a few seconds as well.

This past weekend I took it out city driving and the engine was warm for 15 minutes and just idling at a stoplight and had a couple of misfires. Nothing else after that. I am wondering if I got a little bit of water in the tank or bad gas or what might be going on? My first thought is to try a fuel additive like Heet or something then to take water out.

There are no other performance issues. Plenty of power, acceleration and all of that.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 02-12-2021, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 279 Posts

How far down was the gas tank prior to filling ?

Old 02-12-2021, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry bud steer but I am off to my bed been a very long and busy day for repairing gas (natural North Sea stuff ) on central ha
heating systems , missed my lunch and dinner in responding to emergency call outs its hectic, but pays the bills, sounds to me you have let the gas tank run to low before refilling , may have picked up a bit of shyte from bottom of tank and blocked an injector or ? Why not get the tank syponed. Drained . Get tank washed out then put in Premium Fuel . I would . For sake of a couple $100 bucks if you can't afford that buy a Nissan

Old 02-12-2021, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I would first go the dry gas way and if it is water in the fuel it will clear it up. Otherwise you may have the start of a bigger problem. Do we assume you did not get a code .

Old 02-12-2021, 08:37 PM
Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

if you were forcing it to fill to the point of topping off you may have flooded the evap canister. adding throttle pulls vacuum on this system, possibly ingesting fuel through a breather that could then get into the cylinders at random. fuel-air mixture goes wrong, misfire.

if you've never topped off before then the canister might be okay but the filter media isn't meant to be soaked in fuel and in cheaper cars, just one time can do it in.

why it was exhibiting this behavior in the first place, there are a variety of reasons. i suppose previous excessive top-offs can cause it so if you do this regularly you probably caused it, but more often the canister just gets dirty normally over time, fuel shut-off becomes more sensitive, and though there is variety in the shut-off mechanisms at the myriad of stations out there, eventually just about every nozzle gives up trying to feed your car.

The following users liked this post:
BlkC4t_XK14 (01-22-2022)
Old 02-13-2021, 07:00 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,021 Likes on 723 Posts

There is a fuel filter between the tank and the injectors. When was it last changed?
If there is or is not water in the tank, I do run a full bottle of gas line antifreeze through my car once a year to reduce the water in the tank.
But most importantly, what codes are being thrown?

Old 02-13-2021, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Perhaps am wrong but I didn't believe there was a changeable fuel filter on the 5; models?

Old 02-13-2021, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 908 Posts

It isn't a serviceable item as it is built in to the mounting flange so presumably Jaguar felt that it wouldn't need to be changed regularly but you can buy a new one of those for around £70.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:56 PM

About a 1/4 tank.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I would first go the dry gas way and if it is water in the fuel it will clear it up. Otherwise you may have the start of a bigger problem. Do we assume you did not get a code .
The only code was to do with the cruise control (which I have never used yet).

Old 02-13-2021, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by jons
if you were forcing it to fill to the point of topping off you may have flooded the evap canister. adding throttle pulls vacuum on this system, possibly ingesting fuel through a breather that could then get into the cylinders at random. fuel-air mixture goes wrong, misfire.

if you've never topped off before then the canister might be okay but the filter media isn't meant to be soaked in fuel and in cheaper cars, just one time can do it in.

why it was exhibiting this behavior in the first place, there are a variety of reasons. i suppose previous excessive top-offs can cause it so if you do this regularly you probably caused it, but more often the canister just gets dirty normally over time, fuel shut-off becomes more sensitive, and though there is variety in the shut-off mechanisms at the myriad of stations out there, eventually just about every nozzle gives up trying to feed your car.
I see your point, but the pump was clicking off before it was even 1/2 full and kept doing it. I've never had the issue before. I generally stop at the first fill click or just a bit more.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by George05
Sorry bud steer but I am off to my bed been a very long and busy day for repairing gas (natural North Sea stuff ) on central ha
heating systems , missed my lunch and dinner in responding to emergency call outs its hectic, but pays the bills, sounds to me you have let the gas tank run to low before refilling , may have picked up a bit of shyte from bottom of tank and blocked an injector or ? Why not get the tank syponed. Drained . Get tank washed out then put in Premium Fuel . I would . For sake of a couple $100 bucks if you can't afford that buy a Nissan
Sounds like you had quite a busy day! I've only had the car about 6 months. I may try the fuel filter and then drain if necessary.

Never owned a Nissan. I'm sure they are great cars as well - just a different beast.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by guy
There is a fuel filter between the tank and the injectors. When was it last changed?
If there is or is not water in the tank, I do run a full bottle of gas line antifreeze through my car once a year to reduce the water in the tank.
But most importantly, what codes are being thrown?
I don't know if the fuel filter has ever been changed. I've only had at the car about 6 or 8 months now. Just a cruise control code.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,182 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Budster
I don't know if the fuel filter has ever been changed. I've only had at the car about 6 or 8 months now. Just a cruise control code.
You don't HAVE a fuel filter on your car since it's a 2010. The only thing it has is a net-type sock over the pickup inside the fuel tank.

MarkyUK (03-27-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 12:27 PM

Ah, well its not the fuel filter then. If it does not clear up then I guess a gas tank draining will be in order.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:54 AM
Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm really no fan of this kind of stuff, but why don't you buy some injector cleaner to stick in the fuel tank - REDDEX? I know of it working for people with the same symptoms, and is really cheap and easy to start with. If it is a a blockage it will hopefully clear it. I would probably buy 2 or bottles to keep applying it for a few fills.
If it is water I would just go for a long drive to get the fuel out the tank, keep re-filling with new super unleaded

Old 02-15-2021, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by wsn03
I'm really no fan of this kind of stuff, but why don't you buy some injector cleaner to stick in the fuel tank - REDDEX? I know of it working for people with the same symptoms, and is really cheap and easy to start with. If it is a a blockage it will hopefully clear it. I would probably buy 2 or bottles to keep applying it for a few fills.
If it is water I would just go for a long drive to get the fuel out the tank, keep re-filling with new super unleaded
I will. Update. I bought an STP fuel treatment at the gas station yesterday and added it with 1/4 tank left and filled to about 3/4 of a tank at a local 76 station. No pump clicking off thankfully.

I took a long (80- 100 miles) spirited drive (3K-5K RPM) on a local highway -Angel's Crest in the local mountains outside of Los Angeles. About 20 or 30 minutes in I felt a 1 or 2 second hesitation and then nothing since. I will of course need to drive more and see what happens and repeat with an additive.

If it doesn't "cure" it, then I will have to get it drained.

No trouble codes except for U0104.

wsn03 (02-15-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 07:39 PM

I just wanted to follow up. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself.

After I ran a tank of 76 Premium and STP fuel treatment through and drove rather spiritedly through the Angeles Crest Forest, I did another fill up also at the 76 station with premium and used Heet fuel additive that supposed to take out water as well.

Now I have done another tank full of just premium gasoline and so far it is smooth sailing. Hopefully it will continue that way. I feel like I got off lucky this time

Old 03-26-2021, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 900 Posts

Stick with the Union 76. I have and do, and I have never run into the kind of a situation that you had.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:00 AM
Default Update

So all was well for a while, but I decided to take the car in to be looked at. No codes, they had it for 2 weeks, drained and tested the gas - no water. They drove it for 200 miles no hint of a problem.

I took it back and also did not have any further issues. That was about 2 1/2 months ago. This week I got it serviced with oil and filter change, a brake flush, a fuel injection service and a decarbonization service.

About 40 minutes into the ride home the same weird sputtering thing occurred. Almost like someone is tapping and releasing the gas pedal quickly but not severely. So frustrating.

Dirty or bad MAF sensor? If it is a fuel pump, I'm guessing those are located inside of the gas tank all these miles so that would be a huge repair probably.

But 99% of the time, the car runs absolutely perfectly with no hesitation whatsoever and smoothly.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Bad gas or water in the Tank?