XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A Case For Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default A Case For Extended Warranties

There was a time that I would not consider purchasing an automobile extended warranty. Statistically, they are a "sucker bet" and the dealerships make a handsome profit from their revenue. This is especially the case if the dealership takes the risk by self insuring. About 25% of dealerships do self insure and more are shifting to this business model.

With this said, I recently purchased a MY 2008 XK with 29K on the clock, which was a Select Edition. After carefully examining the car (the first 30 days) I noticed a slight imperfection in the leather dashboard, a minor leak in the sealed lower control arm and one of the home-link buttons was a little loose.

The dealer replaced all three items, which would have cost over $5K. I had a similar experience with our Range Rover Sport, which recently received a new rear differential.

I believe the "case for extended warranties" is even more compelling with high end cars, such as our XK's and XKR's. Having the piece of mind knowing that your covered enhances the owner experience...

Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
There was a time that I would not consider purchasing an automobile extended warranty. Statistically, they are a "sucker bet" and the dealerships make a handsome profit from their revenue....
I too was of the same mindset - extended warranties are highly skewed in favor of the dealer. But after hearing what it would cost to replace a damaged wheel and tire on my 2012 XKR AND considering the winter roads here in the northeast, I bought an extended warranty on my wheels and tires.

Peace of mind has its price...

Mike

Old 12-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What was the name of the company that Jaguar dealer sold you?? Jaguar does not have there own from what I understand

Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Just to let you all know, I shopped a three-four year "Bumper to Bumper" extended warranty for my 2008 XK from a few of the more "respectable" companies. The quotes ranged from $4,000.00 to $5,000.00+.

I know how expensive it can be to fix one of these cars, but as hard as I try. I just can't make myself write that check...

BTW, my factory warranty runs out in about two weeks...

Old 12-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dd823
What was the name of the company that Jaguar dealer sold you?? Jaguar does not have there own from what I understand
The warranty is Jaguar's Select Edition factory extended warranty. The coverage on these certified pre-owned Jag's is 6 years from the original in service date or 100K miles, which ever comes first.

The coverage, while having some exclusions, is compared to others very extensive.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dd823
Correct. The policy is provided by Automobile Protection Corporation, Atlanta, GA.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't understand how anyone can afford the stress of having a modern, complex, expensive performance car WITHOUT a warranty, regardless of price. The risk of catastrophic failure weighs too heavily on me, I just factored in the cost of a select edition/extended warranty when I did the numbers and evaluated buying the car in the first place. I just couldn't deal with the risk of fixing a major failure on an XKR, where the cost would exceed the value of the car...

Write the check! $4,000 comes up quickly driving a car like ours. IMO anyway.

Skeeter

Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought an extended warranty through a company called Zurich. Five more years and and 60,000 miles. This will cover my XKR until it is 9 years old or has 100,000 miles on it. It covers everything, including the touchscreen computer, which I think is important. The cost was $6600.

Tim

Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I used AAAutoWarranty which was decent. Make sure whichever company you use will cover the shop rate; not a max fixed hourly. If your warranty pays $80 an hour and dealer $110, guess who's on the hook for the difference?

In my case, the dealer Lee Jaguar, covered the difference, but they did not have to. Thank you Lee Jaguar for that one.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info. Hey if you ever need warehouse racking for that business just let me know.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by TRidder
I bought an extended warranty through a company called Zurich. Five more years and and 60,000 miles. This will cover my XKR until it is 9 years old or has 100,000 miles on it. It covers everything, including the touchscreen computer, which I think is important. The cost was $6600.

Tim
I was guided to Zurich by my Audi Service Manager as the one company they love to work with. No quibbles about any type of repair needed... just do it and it was covered. If memory serves, Zurich is actually the parent company of Universal Underwriters, so your covered by a much bigger company overall.

2 cents,

Old 12-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeter
I can't understand how anyone can afford the stress of having a modern, complex, expensive performance car WITHOUT a warranty, regardless of price. The risk of catastrophic failure weighs too heavily on me, I just factored in the cost of a select edition/extended warranty when I did the numbers and evaluated buying the car in the first place. I just couldn't deal with the risk of fixing a major failure on an XKR, where the cost would exceed the value of the car...

Write the check! $4,000 comes up quickly driving a car like ours. IMO anyway.

Skeeter
Well, after much soul (and internet) searching, I took the plunge and purchased a comprehensive extended warranty. I looked at about a half dozen different sources before I made my choice. I felt any warranty company I gave my business to would have to be an active member of the BBB with at least an "A" rating, would have to provide me the contract first to review and compare with other contracts, and would have to have been in business for at least 10 years with as few "negative" reviews as possible.

I did discover a few things:

1. No company I researched provided the absolute 100% "bumper to bumper" new car warranty we are used to enjoying in brand new cars. Instead, the most comprehensive aftermarket warranties are called "exclusion warranties" in that they will agree to cover everything in your car EXCEPT what is specifically described in the "exclusion" paragraph.

2. Warranty companies had some major differences over what appeared on their "exclusions" list. As expected, the ones with the shortest "exclusions" list, tended to cost more, sometimes significantly more.

3. Watch out for any general or generic statements in the exclusion paragraph that COULD be open to interpretation. The companies I talked to all had VERY specific and easy to understand exclusions. the company I ultimately went with clearly identified every specific excluded part by name.

4. One company representative I spoke with gave me a "heads up" to watch out for companies that excluded "wear & tear" coverage. At first, one might think it appropriate for wear & tear to be excluded, until it was explained to me that most suspension and transmission repairs run the danger of falling under the "wear & tear" category.

5. Make sure "wear & tear are covered for the life of the contract and not just the first X number of miles.

6. Many companies exclude touch screens, "head's up" displays, and other similiar technologies. However, if the company covers factory installed Navigation units (mine does), then with some push back they will relent and specify in the contract that if the touch screen is necessary to use the Nav unit, then the touch screen is covered (seems like a "no brainer", don't it)?

At the end of the day, I went with a BBB A+ rated company that although they excluded a couple of things I was not particularly happy about (e.g., the stereo system and the remote control transmitters & receiver), taking everything I learned into consideration. the total cost vs. coverage was the most reasonable.

In my case, we warranted a 2008 Jaguar XK convertible for five years past the end date of the original factory warranty, or a total 100,000 accumulated miles (whichever comes first) for about $4,000.00.

BTW, want to know the one major intangible benefit of buying the extended warranty?

I am sleeping WAAAAAY better at night.....

The following users liked this post:
Quartzboy (04-14-2015)
Old 12-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave

I believe the "case for extended warranties" is even more compelling with high end cars, such as our XK's and XKR's. Having the piece of mind knowing that your covered enhances the owner experience...
And peace of mind is the #1 justification for any and all insurance products- extended car warranties are no different. On the other hand paying out $4K knowing that the majority of owners will not submit claims equal to that figure is how the insurance companies make money.

I have chosen to self-insure on all my toys since the early 1980s and am way ahead of the curve, enough to completely replace any one of the vehicles from 'the reserve' and still be in the black. Touch wood!

Last edited by Mikey; 09-05-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
Well, after much soul (and internet) searching, I took the plunge and purchased a comprehensive extended warranty. I looked at about a half dozen different sources before I made my choice. I felt any warranty company I gave my business to would have to be an active member of the BBB with at least an "A" rating, would have to provide me the contract first to review and compare with other contracts, and would have to have been in business for at least 10 years with as few "negative" reviews as possible.

I did discover a few things:

1. No company I researched provided the absolute 100% "bumper to bumper" new car warranty we are used to enjoying in brand new cars. Instead, the most comprehensive aftermarket warranties are called "exclusion warranties" in that they will agree to cover everything in your car EXCEPT what is specifically described in the "exclusion" paragraph.

2. Warranty companies had some major differences over what appeared on their "exclusions" list. As expected, the ones with the shortest "exclusions" list, tended to cost more, sometimes significantly more.

3. Watch out for any general or generic statements in the exclusion paragraph that COULD be open to interpretation. The companies I talked to all had VERY specific and easy to understand exclusions. the company I ultimately went with clearly identified every specific excluded part by name.

4. One company representative I spoke with gave me a "heads up" to watch out for companies that excluded "wear & tear" coverage. At first, one might think it appropriate for wear & tear to be excluded, until it was explained to me that most suspension and transmission repairs run the danger of falling under the "wear & tear" category.

5. Make sure "wear & tear are covered for the life of the contract and not just the first X number of miles.

6. Many companies exclude touch screens, "head's up" displays, and other similiar technologies. However, if the company covers factory installed Navigation units (mine does), then with some push back they will relent and specify in the contract that if the touch screen is necessary to use the Nav unit, then the touch screen is covered (seems like a "no brainer", don't it)?

At the end of the day, I went with a BBB A+ rated company that although they excluded a couple of things I was not particularly happy about (e.g., the stereo system and the remote control transmitters & receiver), taking everything I learned into consideration. the total cost vs. coverage was the most reasonable.

In my case, we warranted a 2008 Jaguar XK convertible for five years past the end date of the original factory warranty, or a total 100,000 accumulated miles (whichever comes first) for about $4,000.00.

BTW, want to know the one major intangible benefit of buying the extended warranty?

I am sleeping WAAAAAY better at night.....
May I aske who you purchased your coverage with?
--
D

Old 09-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Funny, I thought most dealers would reject your claim to repair/replace the dashboard because it is a "trim" item, even under the Select Edition warranty.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I almost bought a further warranty for my last XK convertible but when I read the small print they didn't seem to cover the the hood (in the UK that's the bit that goes over your head, not the bit that covers the engine). They quite often need adjustment and it's not a job that I would try myself.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Several local "to my area" Jaguar/Rover dealerships recommend Continental Insurance. A 7 years(from inservice)/up to 100,000 on my friends 10' XKR was $2900(included nav.)
Looking at the Select Edition for $4500 which gave him 6/100,000 didn't seem worth the price. We looked at both contracts side by side and the exclusions were bascially identical. The major exclusions were the same on both. I think all the companies can get out of paying claims if they really try, but if you develop a good relationship(buying warranty from them) they will help you out when things happen.
If I end up getting the 09' i'm looking at, in talking to them they sell JMNA(Fidelity). Priced for 7(from inservice)/85,000miles, they quoted me $3000. They are BBB A+ rated company.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 PM

I am looking for an extended warranty. I have looked over several warranties with the BBB A+ rated companies as well. What surprises me is the same warranty with less term but cost more money. It sounds like Stillwaters got an excellent warranty, I'm just curious to know what company he went with!!!
--
D

Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

When I bought my Xkr-s this year, I got an extended warranty from jaguar. They use Easy Care - Total Care. I had this same warranty with my porsche 996TT and it was very good. All my repairs were covered except a cracked boost hose. You can use any shop/dealer and there is quick authorization to cover the repairs. It also made it much easier to sell my car (it had 5 months left on it)

The following users liked this post:
carbuddy (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:44 AM

If the manufacture warranty has expired, I would recommend checking out an aftermarket qcertified warranty plan that has worked well for some of my family members. Good luck, just pray nothing else goes wrong!

Quick Reply: A Case For Extended Warranties