Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Considering buying Jaguar XKR-S 2014

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Considering buying Jaguar XKR-S 2014

Hi,
I am not sure how to begin, but I been wanting a new car for a few years, finally saved some money to be able to buy one. I'm not a gear head and I wouldn't consider my some hardcore enough to call myself a enthusiast. With that being said one thing I am someone who can appreciate amazing craftsmanship and great engineering. Here is the XKR-S that I am considering purchasing: Used 2014 Jaguar XK R-S V8 Supercharged|Bowers&Wilkens Audio|Red Brake For Sale in Toronto, ON | VIN: SAJXA4HA4EMB52321

Budget $80k CDN
What are my options?
I digress, there are many options available for $80k, but I've only really considered a BMW m5 seriously but the Jaguar XKR-S being ferocious but very eloquent in its design is no match for BMW m5. If there are better options for me in budget feel free to suggest.

Why I want the XKR-S over the F-Type: The price, I get a v8 with low KMs vs the F type R. Also even though the seats at back of the XKR-S are not really functional but they are there. Should I wait a year for the F type prices to go down and pick up a F type V8 ?

Discussing the XKR-S: What are some things I should know as a buyer about the XKR-S 2014? I will make a list of things I would mind getting some info on.
Maintenance cost?
How many KMs can the car go before it starts its breaking down and requires major repairs. If so when and what?
How does it drive on bad road conditions? (Rain/Snow)
This particular Jaguar has a damaged LCD screen, how much will it cost to replace that. It has holes which you can see in the pictures.

Thanks, I would appreciate any kind of input, I am very nervous about this purchase.. I really want to make sure I make the right decision.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Question, why are you not comparing the XKR-S to the BMW M6, both two doors, both have the irrelevant but present back seats.

The natural comparison is XKR-S to M6, whereas the 4 door XFR compares to the M5.

Asking this board you will get a resounding vote for the Jag. Of course. It's beautiful styling and exclusivity compared to a BMW is no comparison. For me the 5 series is everywhere, they sell a ton of them (535/550/M5), so while the M5 is the most powerful of the lot most people wouldn't know the difference. It looks just like every other 5 on the road unless they are "car" people. The X150 stands alone in being a unique line of cars.

The rest will have to come from someone who is in the know on the XKR-S version.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

XKR-S or F-Type? totally up to you. Drive them both and make a judgment. The F-Type is bad-*** for sure but personally, I prefer the XK body style over the F-Type. Classier, more distinct looking.

XKR-s or BMW? Same argument. Drive them both and make a choice. We're all pretty sure that you will love the XK.

Have you seen that car in person? The exterior pics look enhanced and it's filthy. For that kind of money you can find a pristine car if that one is not. And yea, that nav screen is hosed. I wonder how that happened. Someone else here can probably give you an estimate on that repair.

happy hunting!

Old 01-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

IMHO I would suggest you get an XKR (not the "s") and save $20K to $25K on the purchase price. There are quite a few XKR model cars in Canada with low Km's albeit a couple of years older. A good example is this one...

2010 Jaguar XK for $53,998 in North Bay | autoTRADER.ca

Then you would have money left over for a pulley and tune upgrade for additional HP if desired. There was an XKR 175 coupe for sale for $45K a month ago with ~41K Km.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Yes it is filthy, but that's because... well.... Canada in the winter.
Screen is shot, no doubt, but how much$$$?
Fairly low mileage (kilometerage?)
The price doesn't seem TOO bad for what it is, a 2014 XK R-S at $57,000 USD. Of course that all depends on the touch screen replacement and a PPI.
Yes, and a complete detail job.
If you drop the -S moniker, you could get a regular R for about $20,000 less. Is it REALLY worth it for what you need, when and where you will drive it?

Old 01-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

One other point is that the XKR/XKR-S is a market that favours the buyer, not the seller. So take your time and be sure of which car you really want, and then bargain hard on the price.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Thanks JagRag, you got me while I was still typing.

The following users liked this post:
JagRag (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

I would just buy the very best, lowest mileage XK [no R, No S] you can for the money. The goofy hood scoops, front bumper cut outs, dopey wing on the back and body kit crap just ruins the whole car. Nothing beats the original clean design of the XK in my humble opinion. Oh... and make sure its British Racing Green with Tan interior.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:29 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the responses thus far. I only made the comparison of an M5 to XKR because a M5 is more in my budget. But I really haven't put much thought into because "I Don't want to be another BMW car on the road" Every other car in the parking lot is BMW. It's sad how ignorant people are, they just don't know about Jaguar but its really changing with the F-type.

I have test driven a XKR, the only XKR on sale in Vancouver BC. This car is on the other side of Canada, so I don't have the luxury of a test drive. I will however get someone reliable to test drive the vehicle before handing over the money.

@Shemp now closely inspecting the pictures the interior seems like its terrible condition.. But its hard to say, it could be bad lighting in the some of the picture but it does seem like someone with wet shoes or something scrapes them against the interior. Car also is dirty from the outside but it just big Dealership so they probably just take pictures that are some what presentable and clean the car after its purchased.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:36 PM

Can't seem to be able to edit my post..

For all the people suggest to get a Xk /XKR

I like the S, the front looks way better and back, i really love the body kit. It's one of the reasons i'm obsessed with the car.

In terms of the deal it does seem amazing. All the XKR's are couple years older and ... have atleast 50k on them. While this has only 13k.. its like brand new.

here is the closest XKR I am aware of with the same year and its for 70k.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/5952044417.html
I am not a huge fan of the Italian red and I hate those rims. I would have preferred the black cat package.

Another note: 2012 XKR with black cat package with 48,000 KM sold for $45kcdn, that was a great deal but I was 2 weeks too late.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Old 01-24-2017, 05:03 PM

I am going to go test that drive that one this weekend, its 3 years older and its just an R. for 20k more you get a much a newer car with much lower KMs. This seems like a terrible deal. Also personally like i said I really the S package it make the car look more muscular and sporty.

Note: I only want a coupe, I hate convertibles.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

If it were my decision, I would wait it out for the next 3-4 months as I would suspect you will see at least another half dozen XKR-S's come on the market between now and the end of may.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Gooday. I had an '11 XKR and loved it. Seriously considered going to an XKR-S but went to an F Type instead, mainly because I had already "been there done that" with the XKR and didnt want to buy something and then get a roving eye a year later.

Given your choices, have you also considered an XFR-S? What an awesome car they are, just a gorgeous sound and the interior is beautiful, and they look the business as well.

Otherwise, the only thing that would make me buy an F Type over the XK is that the newer F Types have better infotainment (IMO). But if you are looking at a 2015 F Type, it is the same infotainment as the 2014 XK as far as I know. And that only becomes a factor if it is something that bothers you, as it does me. That and if you want AWD in the newer F Type R.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Just speculation but if the screen is that marred up, it could be from someone that didn't take care of the car in general. Of course accidents happen but that looks like a kid was using a pen to poke at it. Again, check it out completely.

As far as reliability, many members here have 80-100k miles.

As far as uniqueness, you can't beat it at that price point IMO. I see 20-30 Lexis, BMWs and Mercs each per day. I see 1 or 2 Jags a day and they are usually XFs and i see 1-2 Xks per MONTH around here. I have yet to see an XKR-S in person

Old 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

The XKR-S stands out, if that is the look you like go for it!

Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 PM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

Looks are completely subjective, so there's no point in anyone telling you which trim level looks "best".

The main qualms I have about the car you're looking at are the holes in the LCD. How does that even happen? As Shemp said, it seems like a sign of neglect or even abuse. When you're spending this kind of money, you should feel like you know exactly what you're getting and not have any nagging questions. The dealer write-up seems pretty iffy to me with "Red Brakes!" touted as one of the major features. I was in your shoes not too long ago, and getting a certified/extended warranty was a major consideration even after getting as much info as I could on my car's service history. As others have said, most XK owners are pretty passionate about their cars, so if you have any doubts about this particular car after looking into it further, you will no doubt be able to find an ideal one down the road if you're willing to take your time looking. If you want to get a sense of how pampered some other cars might be, take a look at the "Car Wash Question" post

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Buying an F-type does afford better and longer factory warranty options. Not to mention AWD and manual configurations.

XK is a timeless design and back seats sure help. I just don't warm up the F-type's styling as much as I thought I should. Could've leased one instead of XE, but neither me or my girlfriend were enamored with the styling. She'd rather get another XK.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go for the XKR-S

The following 2 users liked this post by JD's11:
AllblueACR (01-27-2017), mosesbotbol (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

XKR-S no questions, from those pics looks like some idiot sprayed silicone all over the interior. Mileage is super low, price is okay. Would not buy without seeing in person and bodyshop/dealer inspection - still under factory warranty though so a big plus there.

My recommendation is this car, most sought after color, from a Jag dealer and certified with low miles for the same price (but 2 years older - not a big deal):

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7736/overview/