XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Cruise not available message ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Cruise not available message ?

All of the sudden the past day or two I sporadically get a message ' Crusie not available ' in the center message window. I notice it within a few seconds of turning on the car. Anyone ever hear about something like this?

Old 07-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

What year? and coupe or vert? To get help it helps to identify what xk or xkr you are talking about>

Old 07-04-2017, 04:59 PM

Sorry - forgot to add ( signature doesn't appear when logged on using phone )

2007 XK convertible

Old 07-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Happens on mine at startup 100% of the time for the first few seconds, then disappears.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
Happens on mine at startup 100% of the time for the first few seconds, then disappears.
I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if it disappears after a while. Message seemed to pop up intermittently while driving though too. Also getting The audio indicator on radio screen show like it was being nudged by my hand while driving. Could be something loose in the steering wheel buttons ??

I dont really use cruise control and it does not have the adaptive one either , so as long as it doesn't hurt anything , then I can deal with it without having to spend any $$...

Old 07-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me after battery was discharged for a while. Turned the car on and off with some interval and it never came back

Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Michaell
Happened to me after battery was discharged for a while. Turned the car on and off with some interval and it never came back
i think that might also be the case. I only put about 250 miles on it since I picked it up a month and half ago , taking it out on short trips about a dozen times. May need to get it's legs stretched, drive it some more , and look at a CTEK likely too.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Mayhap...

Dunno if the 2007 is similar to the X100's but I had the same problem with my 2004. The fix was replacing the brake light switch. It seems that there are two microswitches in the brake light switch unit, one for the brake lights and the other to kick out the cruise control. If that microswitch hangs up, cruise is no longer available.

Last edited by Don-T; 07-05-2017 at 01:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don-T:
Chris77 (05-20-2023), ExKayRick (11-25-2022)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Don-T
Dunno if the 2007 is similar to the X100's but I had the same problem with my 2004. The fix was replacing the brake light switch. It seems that there are two microswitches in the brake light switch unit, one for the brake lights and the other to kick out the cruise control. If that microswitch hangs up, cruise is no longer available.
Thx - i saw that with the x100's , wasn't sure if the x150's also has those swithches and if they were the same.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Happened to me once or twice on my cross-country trip.
I have the adaptive cruise and I use it frequently.
Since it hadn't happened before, I ignored it. I haven't seen it since.
Meh. Jag electrical/computer weirdness, probably battery related.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

PS for those who may read this: the cruise control shutting off is not the same as the warning light the poster is asking about.
Now that I'm in the land of Bad Roads (and I've got the 20-inch wheels, which are challenging for some systems), I notice that hitting a bump at highway spped will cancel the cruise control. According to my tech, when a rear wheel lifts off the ground, even for a split-second, a sensor notices and cancels the cruise.
In those cases the "Cruise Control Unavailable" light does NOT come on-- you just reset the cruise.
When that light came on for me, I was completely unable to re-engage the Cruise Control.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Wow....

Responses so far are lighter that those of the past and not filled with ridicule from those that dislike Adaptive Cruise.. Thank you! Really! ( I truly love my ADC even after 5 years)

OP.
PK4144 words are the most accurate here so far and others mean well. A startup warning is nothing I would be concerned with..... unless it manifests itself on the highway. Then I to would look at the Battery as Michaell points out.
Early models suffered this more than most, and the liquid Silver color was the leader of this common issue. I don't think you're there, but a TSB does exist if this impacts you on the road. (Note: I had the TSB done on my '07, and it resolved 3/4s of the issues, but ADC still kicks off in known places on I-5 [most likely crossing paths with a high power microwave link]) so I have yet to see it totally flawless... even the 2010 shuts down in a similar area.

Again, if initial start-up alerts are all your seeing, (truthfully, I've never seen it on my my '07 or '10) I'm not recommending you worry. Talk to your dealer about the TSB regardless,and monitor battery voltage just to know where you stand.

BOL
Vince

As a side note, the '07 takes 15 minutes for the whole system to reset and function again, unless you pull over and cycle the ignition.
My 2010 recovers much quicker. (maybe 5~10 minutes?), do we have any tech specs that someone can confirm that against? Just curious....

Thanks, and again, BOL myexcursion
V

Old 07-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same issue with my 2008 XK. Message was intermittent at first, gradually became more common, then stayed on all the time. Dealer said it was due to weak battery/unstable voltage. No other symptoms of a weak battery. But, replaced the battery and no more cruise control issues.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by lbart
Had the same issue with my 2008 XK. Message was intermittent at first, gradually became more common, then stayed on all the time. Dealer said it was due to weak battery/unstable voltage. No other symptoms of a weak battery. But, replaced the battery and no more cruise control issues.
OMG - so funny you said that because I finally had some time to myself today and was going to take my daughter for a spin. Press the start button and .... Nothing just a click and park brake error message. Checked voltage and it's at 10.7/10.8 !! So indeed it looks like unless you drive these cars - the batteries drain fast.
Ironically , I lift the spare tire cover and pull the battery cover , what do you think I see ? The previous owner had setup comfort cable tied to the positive battery post on battery ( with fuse ) and to the ground post in spare tire well. My neighbor had a battery tender plus -
Amazon Amazon

And it connected directly to the cable in the trunk. Seems like the PO also drove it less frequently and had the car on the same battery tender! I have it charging now and should be good by tomorrow. Was thinking of buying a CTEK , but might end up getting the BT+ since the car is already wired to it and it's a pretty good tender as well.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

+1 for the Battery Tender Plus. The CTEK gets alot of airtime on this forum, and I'm sure it's great, but the BT+ does the job. Had mine for almost 3 years, and no issues.
You'll find complaints about the Battery Tender (no plus, and junior), but the BT+ has a metal housing and I've never felt it get hot.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, came to the forum to see if anybody had a fix. My issue is, when my 07 XKR is cold, I get the Cruise Control Unavailable on start up. Cruise is indeed unavailable--until I stop the engine after 5 or so minutes of operation, then restart. After that all systems normal. In the summer months, if starting and outside temps are warm, the warning is not present and cruise works just fine. So, for me, it seems to be temperature related or activated. Something strange. Also, if I get the warning on startup, no matter how long I operate the vehicle, cruise will not engage. I have to stop, then restart to reset cruise. Weird.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I'd say check the battery, but if it's been going on for a very long time it's less likely.
Worth a shot though... have your battery load tested at a reliable location.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:41 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I will go along with the low battery group as I have an 07 and when left idle(not on a charger) for more than a few weeks it showed the same warning several times. Each time after I drove it to charge the battery and each time the warning light went off immediately and stayed off as long as the battery was topped up.

I know that these cars require a trickle charge but my subconscious refuses to allow me to accept that a 100K car cannot be like any other car and start up after a week!

Old 11-22-2022, 11:19 AM
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

i have had that happen a couple times while driving ( i think like once a month or less). at that point i cannot set the cruise control. once i pull over and turn off the car and turn it back on again everything works again

Old 11-23-2022, 02:51 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-T
Dunno if the 2007 is similar to the X100's but I had the same problem with my 2004. The fix was replacing the brake light switch.
Message "Check rear lights" oh, I know it so well