XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash leather pulling away from dash / bubbling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 04:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash leather pulling away from dash / bubbling.

I am a new member to the forum .. I have owned a jaguar XKR, 2007, gunmetal gray, convertible. I love the sco I have owned a jaguar XKR, 2007, gunmetal gray, convertible. I love These cars. I bought it used in 2011 26,000 miles on it.It now has 60,000 miles on it and an incredible good shape. I have had a few problems with it but not many, The pure pleasure of driving this car has been worth every dime. I like this car so much I wound up buying a newer 2013 , jet Black with 28,000 miles on . Problem my mechanic has pointed out that my 2007 XKR has problems with the dashboard leather pulling back and bubbling. Small problem now but will get worse. Any suggestionsI am in the process of trying to sell my 2007 and I run into a problem that I’ve never heard of before. The leather dashboard material is pulling off the it’s also a convertible in jet black, gray interior.I am in the process of trying to sell my 2007 and I run into a problem that I’ve never heard of before. The leather dashboard material is pulling off the dash . It’s receding back from the windshield area and bubbling. I am being told this is not an unusual situation and a lot of expensive sports cars suffer from this problem especially when parked outside in hot areas? This is been in the garage the whole time I’ve owned it.I am looking for solutions on how to fix Without necessarily taking out the old Dash and putting a new one in?suggestions.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

The only thing I got is that, you love this car so much, you decided to sell it.
So a buyer walks up, and pointed out pulling dash. Now you cant sell for the price you want. But the good thing is... you love this car. So much... that you need to fix this. Easy.
Gotta remove the dash, and then recover with enough material to wrap over the edge of the dash, so that if it does shrink, it will not shrink enough to pull again. Its not cheap, the only fix is beer, really. It takes the pain away. If you gotta sell and youre stuck with 2 XKs. I can understand your position.

Last edited by Brewtech; 01-26-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Old 01-26-2019, 07:32 PM
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Jhep933--Welcome to the forum. There is certainly a wealth of information from many knowledgeable members here. I'm sorry you're having trouble with your leather dash, but here are my suggestions:

1. Use the search function to see if there are threads related to your problem that might answer your question before you ask something that has already been thoroughly discussed.
2. If you haven't found anything relevant in other threads and need to start your own, do so, of course! But just before you post your question, take a moment to read through it again to make sure you are stating the problem succinctly so other members have a clear understanding of what you are asking without having to spend time pondering what you really want.
3. Follow the link Stuart posted above.

Again, welcome to the forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by Old Radar:
Jhep993 (01-27-2019), winstonsalemncxk (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhep993
Without necessarily taking out the old Dash and putting a new one in?suggestions.
The dash does not have to come out.
The windshield does.
The material is simply reattached.
A good upholsterer will install a nice metal band and prevent it from happening ever again.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

My XKR is 10 years old and the dash leather is like new. I always put the top up when parked and use a reflective sunshade. I keep the leather from drying out by applying leather conditioner every 6 months.

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-26-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The dash does not have to come out.
The windshield does.
The material is simply reattached.
A good upholsterer will install a nice metal band and prevent it from happening ever again.
thats right!

Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Leather on dash

The only way to repair that by leaving it in would be pulling the windshield out. Then you could reglue & staple edges.
I wouldn’t go this route, I removed mine within 2 hours & it’s not that bad. Just intimidating if you’ve never done such a thing. Now if your windshield has any pits or cracks you can do A no deductible claim & have your insurance company swap the windshields & while they take the old one out you repair your dash.
Either way; good luck

Old 01-27-2019, 12:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brewtech
The only thing I got is that, you love this car so much, you decided to sell it.
So a buyer walks up, and pointed out pulling dash. Now you cant sell for the price you want. But the good thing is... you love this car. So much... that you need to fix this. Easy.
Gotta remove the dash, and then recover with enough material to wrap over the edge of the dash, so that if it does shrink, it will not shrink enough to pull again. Its not cheap, the only fix is beer, really. It takes the pain away. If you gotta sell and youre stuck with 2 XKs. I can understand your position.
Hey Brew .. thanks for the suggestions .. trying to avoid that big $dash replacement.. .just a heads up .. so I said i loved this car .. I meant the XKR in general .. the 07 I own is getting a little worn out .. so I found a newer model with lower miles .. plan to drive this new one 3 or four more years and hopefully by that time maybe Jaguar will come to their senses and bring back
the XKR..

thanks