XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

For the DIY oil change guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default For the DIY oil change guys

For those of you that have the 5.0 and that do your own oil/filter change what is the technique that you use. I see the nipple under the oil cap which is where I assume you plug in a vacuum extractor . Other then that is there anything else that you do. Does the plastic engine cover just pop off or is there any hidden fasteners that you need to look for. Also seeing the oil filter what would I expect during the removal process. Is there some oil spillage when removing. I would assume that it has a check valve in it similar to all top mounted filters. Just asking for some insight here. Thanks

Old 02-15-2015, 08:59 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

My dealer has an expensive evacuator they had to buy from Jaguar but prefer to use the drain bolt in the oil pan.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

The engine cover simply pops off with relatively small lifting forces. Thus far I have not done an oil change on the 5.0 since two of my Jags are still under the factory maintenance warranty. However, my '10 XKR is coming up for a change next month with a total of about 1000 miles on the oil.

I always change the oil in my cars so, this will be the same. Plan on using the drain plug for draining the oil. Generally, you should allow some time for the filter to drain the oil after running the engine before removing it to avoid spills. Other than that, it should be routine.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
The engine cover simply pops off with relatively small lifting forces. Thus far I have not done an oil change on the 5.0 since two of my Jags are still under the factory maintenance warranty. However, my '10 XKR is coming up for a change next month with a total of about 1000 miles on the oil.

I always change the oil in my cars so, this will be the same. Plan on using the drain plug for draining the oil. Generally, you should allow some time for the filter to drain the oil after running the engine before removing it to avoid spills. Other than that, it should be routine.
I am ASSUMING that the filter has an anti drain back valve (check valve) in it so it will not drain back into the engine. Can someone verify if that is true. I have to believe Jaguar would use this which is similar to Ferrari and Audi's and others.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
My dealer has an expensive evacuator they had to buy from Jaguar but prefer to use the drain bolt in the oil pan.
I suspect the dealer extractor is expensive because it most likely is a power assisted (either air or electric) in order to do the oil change quickly. As for using the drain plug that's not a problem for me as I have a lift so pulling the shields to get to the plug is not a problem but just a pain. I have a 10 quart vacuum extractor which I have gone to because of my kids Audi. Taking all of the plastic off just to do an oil change is a PITA. The vacuum system works great and seems to get the same amount of oil out as pulling the plug.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
DGL (02-15-2015), riverman (01-28-2019)
Old 02-15-2015, 11:33 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

I also always use the sump drain plug on my '07 XK; you have to remove the lower shield to get to the filter anyway.
Bought a NAPA Wix filter and then took it back because the sealing ring was very narrow compared to OEM. My dealer gave me a good price on the OEM filter.
Wix worked OK for the XK8 though.............

Must be getting old (80!); had the dealer change the Honda CRV oil & filter for only $50 (Synthetic too)
But will still do Jags and Motor Home!
For the Jags I use a couple of plastic ramps; much easier........
Have a power sucker which I built & used on my boat but does not get it all out, so.....
Cheers, Adrian

Old 02-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by britannia
I also always use the sump drain plug on my '07 XK; you have to remove the lower shield to get to the filter anyway.
Bought a NAPA Wix filter and then took it back because the sealing ring was very narrow compared to OEM. My dealer gave me a good price on the OEM filter.
Wix worked OK for the XK8 though.............

Must be getting old (80!); had the dealer change the Honda CRV oil & filter for only $50 (Synthetic too)
But will still do Jags and Motor Home!
For the Jags I use a couple of plastic ramps; much easier........
Have a power sucker which I built & used on my boat but does not get it all out, so.....
Cheers, Adrian
Just an FYI as the filter is mounted on the top of the 5.0L engine.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Using a vacuum extractor is the way to go. I already a had one for my boat which was convienent. Works perfectly and was about $80. The first change if you buy an extractor is about the same as a dealer but since I now have two 5.0L jags and the boat it paid for itself very quickly. Not having a lift at my house doing a drain plug change was a pain. Now it only takes about 15min, most of that is just waiting for the extractor to do it's thing and I don't get a drop of oil anywhere on or around me. .

The following users liked this post:
riverman (01-28-2019)