XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Exhaust Louder After Road Trip?

Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Exhaust Louder After Road Trip?

It might just be our imagination, but my wife and I have noticed that our 08 XK sounds louder after our 500 mile getaway.

Just curious if anyone out there has had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance...

Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I have not noticed my 2008 XKs exhaust getting any louder after a trip. However, the exhaust on this car is already a bit louder than one might otherwise expect...

BTW, any issues on your 2006 RR Sport? I have the 2006 LR3 and it has been virtually perfect since new. Only post warranty issue was a bad suspension compressor ($1,100.00 installed). Not cheap to be sure, but no other problems (fingers crossed)...

Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
I have not noticed my 2008 XKs exhaust getting any louder after a trip. However, the exhaust on this car is already a bit louder than one might otherwise expect...

BTW, any issues on your 2006 RR Sport? I have the 2006 LR3 and it has been virtually perfect since new. Only post warranty issue was a bad suspension compressor ($1,100.00 installed). Not cheap to be sure, but no other problems (fingers crossed)...
Interesting that you should ask! The RRS is in the shop, as we speak, having the suspension compressor replaced, under the extended warranty. Prior to this, the differential was replaced, last month, also under warranty.

We live in the Lake Tahoe area and have a home in the Bay Area. This dictated having a vehicle that performs well in the snow and ice. Our Sport has exceeded those expectations. I hope you are as pleased as I am with your LR3

Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Exhaust that is louder following a road trip? You did not provide enough details to see if you are experiencing the same issue that is driving me up the wall.

Yes, my exhaust gets louder as the "trip" miles pile up. My normal drive distance is 150 miles each way. The trip starts with a supremely quiet exhaust tone. Right around 20 minutes into the freeway trip, I begin to barely hear the exhaust pulsing tones. At about the 1 hour mark it is definitely audible. By the 2 hour mark it is so loud that even the sounds of the radio will not mask it. Sound like a muted jack hammer, "pah...pah...pah...pah...pah...pah......."

I figured that it had to be a bad spring loaded valve on my factory muffler so, I changed to the MinaGallery muffler. The only difference is that it is now even louder with the same timing pattern. I am clueless on what is happening. The only other possibility I see is something in the cat converters changes as they get progressively more heat soaked. I absolutely love the car but, after 2 hours on the freeway I get a headache and ready to trade the car for something that does not drone.

Stop the car for a while to cool off components and all is fine again, for a while...

Car still under factory warranty but, can not demonstrate it to the dealer because by the time I stop at their service, get someone to sit and ride with me (that they had done), the component cools or changes to where the darn thing is quiet for the test drive. I really can not expect them to ride with me for an hour.

Albert

Old 02-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
We live in the Lake Tahoe area and have a home in the Bay Area. This dictated having a vehicle that performs well in the snow and ice. Our Sport has exceeded those expectations. I hope you are as pleased as I am with your LR3
Well, we don't get a whole lot of snow in South Carolina, but when we do our once a year dump of 6" or more, I am out in my LR3, zipping around like there's nothing on the ground. My friends, with their 2wd pick-ups, are slipping and sliding around as they try to crawl down the road at like 15mph...(Combination of really bad driving and really light rear ends)

I LOVE this LR. I swear, I just don't understand all the bad press regarding british vehicles. Mine have been positively first class in every way ....