Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally Found Another

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Finally Found Another

Hello everyone and glad to return.
After a long hiatus I have found my next and hopefully last XK. My last experience with the 2011's battery issues and subsequent repurchase by the dealership left me down a bit with the dealer and Jag corporate but at the same time it made me look harder to find something with more likelihood to last.
I will be picking up my '15 XKR on Saturday and look forward to long and short trips.

I'm happy to have found a Stratus Gray model with the performance pack that included the Black sport seats with red diamond stitching.
The deal almost didn't happen as a salesman told me the car was a smokers car and since I was driving a distance to see it he didn't want me to come if that was a factor. Long story short I was passing the area on a family trip and decided to take a look and somehow was not bothered much by the interior with the windows opened or closed.
There was an obvious amount of cleaning done including shampooing the headliner that made the alcantara feel rather stiff. The steering wheel is also alcantara and I'm not sure if it's feel is from wear and tear or from smoke inhalation.
With that in mind I wonder if anyone thinks that changing out the headliner and/or steering wheel would help significantly in removing whatever odor remains? Also is it possible to change out the interior parts of the steering wheel as the rubber portions are noticeably sticky?
I appreciate all of the input I've received in the past from members and look forward to a better longterm experience this time around.

Jay

Old 07-09-2018, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Congratulations and enjoy the ride. Also remember to post some pictures as soon as you get a chance. Car rental companies and auto dealers deal with the smoke issue all the time. So, if it were me, I would contact them and also a inside detailer. Maybe you can get away with making a bunch of changes. Also check with disassemblers regarding a replacement steering wheel. Tberg, a Forum member has a good contact regarding a replacement for Alcantara and other fabrics so you may want to contact him.

Oh, and welcome back.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

Pictures pictures pictures......or it ain't real.
As Ralphwg said, a good detailer should have the solution you need.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

You can try a light ozone treatment for the odor . New headliner not too expensive either. The sticky coating is easy to remove, several recent posts about here on the forums. You could get a new custom sport steering wheel, flat bottom, leather or carbon fiber. New floor mats and or carpet tubs also easy to replace and not too expensive new.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

Sounds really nice with the diamond contrast stitched seats. Is it a "Final Fifty" edition with the cool louvered hood and Vulcan wheels?

Old 07-10-2018, 12:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If your still on the original warranty all sticky buttons should be replaced. If your on the extended warranty fight to have at least the steering wheel buttons replaced.
they only get worse.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Years ago I bought an Infiniti Q45, a cigar smoker's car with 30K of smoky driving. Mostly hard surface interior - leather and plastic, but headliner was cloth. Used Fabreze deodorizor weekly. In short of a month the odor was gone, completely.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

While deployed to Khobar, Saudi Arabia several times, the rooms we were given for quarters (they were actually four bedroom three bath apartments), all the bedrooms were NASTY smelling.... BECAUSE of Febreze.... as it was WAY overdone. The first guy sprayed a bit and that was OK. The NEXT guy sprayed more just cuz, and then the THIRD guy smelled excess Febreze so HE sprayed MORE... pretty soon there was the horribly unpleasant smell of Febreze Saturation.... which people tried to alleviate with... FEBREZE! Of course that cycle continued and continued for years. Ever time I went there I opened all the windows and beat the drapes. Washed the walls and mopped the floor. A couple days later the stench was gone. MOTTO: Febreze works, but too much is HORRIBLE!!!!!
Oh, then we got bombed and there were no windows left to hold in the stink anyway. Got redeployed to Bahrain for an additional five months beyond our commitment.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Washing the headliner I heard can speed the deterioration of the foam behind the Alcantara.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 PM

I know the headliner was washed because I could feel stiffness in it above driver's seat. If replacing headliner would you advise to replace foam as well?

Thanks,

Old 07-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Default Photos of 2015 Jag XKR

The following 4 users liked this post by JaysXK:
Malt (07-15-2018), Ngarara (07-15-2018), ralphwg (07-15-2018), XJDanny (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

JaysXK.
The car is gorgeous, congratulations!. As for the stiffness in the suede, shampooing the synthetic suede wouldn't cause it to stiffen, that "suede" is machine washable and never stiffens. I'm betting they sprayed some kind of scent on it to mask the odor. You can take a wet wash cloth or sponge and wash the suede, it will not hurt it. Although as others have noted, it may hasten the demise of the foam backing and cause premature headliner sagging. If you need to replace the suede headliner, just let me know, and I have access to another brand of synthetic suede that will be indistinguishable from what you have, and under $10.00's worth will replace the headliner. If you look at the other current thread dealing with Headliner suede replacement on the X150 forum, you'll see a post from Big Otter who replaced his headliner last week with the suede I purchased for him. He posted pictures and a "how to diy" as well. Don't let something as easily corrected as that lessen your enjoyment of that beautiful car.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (07-16-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 07:37 PM

TBerg,

Thanks so much.
Since arrival yesterday have been working to clean up other details including tar build-up in vents and on rubberized buttons and steering wheel. I appreciate the help with the headliner. Originally thought it was responsible for the slight smell but that may not be the case.
Since returning my '11 XK to dealer 18 months ago have been driving a Volvo S90 with Bowers & Wilkins sound system. Loved the sound, never liked the driving experience. Within one hour of trading the Volvo in for the Jag I felt completely at home. Hope to keep this one for a very long time!!

JaysXK

Old 07-16-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

One of my agency’s cars, a Dodge Stratus, was being passed from one person to another and the guy who had been driving it smoked inside the car (in violation of agency policy). The car smelled awful! The new guy worked for me and I felt horrible the car he was being assigned smelled so bad. So I Fabreezed the cloth seats and headliner and, poof!, the smell was gone! I thought Fabreeze would help but didn’t really expect it to make such a significant difference. I must have not used too much Fabreeze because I didn’t create a bad Fabreeze smell like Cee Jay described.