XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally got it home just 20 minutes ago-questions galore!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally got it home just 20 minutes ago-questions galore!

I just traded my 2017 Nissan 370Z with 33.5k miles straight up with a 2007 Jaguar XK, even up. My Nissan 370Z had more power and a wee bit faster but this car is solid and feels far more luxurious. I drove it home some 198 miles. Pardon me if I am excited but there are many questions that I have. Some are probably answered in the manual which I will read later this evening but perhaps some could provide answers here without getting offended. Here is what the ad and previous owner said..

"-- Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Alert -- Active Front Headlights -- Aluminum Interior Package -- Paddle Shifter -- Navigation -- Bluetooth -- Fog Lights -- Rain Sensing Wipers -- Heated Seats -- Heated Mirrors -- Heated Front Luxury Bucket Seats -- CD Player -- Alpine 5.1 Surround Sound -- Tinted Windows --Keyless Entry -- Push Button Start -- Backup Sensors

4.2L V8 DOHC 32V Engine
6 Speed Auto with Paddle shifter

This Cars Options when NEW
** Aluminum Luxury Package - $8,125
** Advanced Technology Package $2500
** Premium Sound Package - $1500"

I paired my phone but bluetooth seems to be only for phone calls. Is there no bluetooth for playing music? I could not find an auxilliary port either. I mostly listen to Pandora so what are my options?

There seems to be no back up camera. I just get a picture of the car on the screen so how does the back up camera work? I guess Advance Technology Package means sensors to back up car.

Cant believe that the aluminium in the car costs $8125!!

Have to learn the various screens.

In any case, I guess I am now officially in the Jaguar community and looking forward to reading the forums. If anyone can share things they learned about the 2007XK, please share.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Zahmed1094
I just traded my 2017 Nissan 370Z with 33.5k miles straight up with a 2007 Jaguar XK, even up. My Nissan 370Z had more power and a wee bit faster but this car is solid and feels far more luxurious. I drove it home some 198 miles. Pardon me if I am excited but there are many questions that I have. Some are probably answered in the manual which I will read later this evening but perhaps some could provide answers here without getting offended. Here is what the ad and previous owner said..

"-- Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Alert -- Active Front Headlights -- Aluminum Interior Package -- Paddle Shifter -- Navigation -- Bluetooth -- Fog Lights -- Rain Sensing Wipers -- Heated Seats -- Heated Mirrors -- Heated Front Luxury Bucket Seats -- CD Player -- Alpine 5.1 Surround Sound -- Tinted Windows --Keyless Entry -- Push Button Start -- Backup Sensors

4.2L V8 DOHC 32V Engine
6 Speed Auto with Paddle shifter

This Cars Options when NEW
** Aluminum Luxury Package - $8,125
** Advanced Technology Package $2500
** Premium Sound Package - $1500"

I paired my phone but bluetooth seems to be only for phone calls. Is there no bluetooth for playing music? I could not find an auxilliary port either. I mostly listen to Pandora so what are my options?

There seems to be no back up camera. I just get a picture of the car on the screen so how does the back up camera work? I guess Advance Technology Package means sensors to back up car.

Cant believe that the aluminium in the car costs $8125!!

Have to learn the various screens.

In any case, I guess I am now officially in the Jaguar community and looking forward to reading the forums. If anyone can share things they learned about the 2007XK, please share.
I'll chime in here as so will others. No BT streaming you'll need an adapter. Back up cameras were introduced in the 2012 MY so you don't have one but others have adapted various methods. Good luck and it sounds like you had a good drive.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Some pics please?

Sounds like you've got yourself a very well spec;d early 150 there!

Bluetooth, no music streaming sadly, not even on my 2014, you have to buy a lead and a dongle, but have been advised you can pair to both and still have handsfree calling and music streaming.

I don't think that back-up camera's were available back in 2007, it wasn't an option until IIRC the 5.0 came out, but there are some work arounds available...just do a forum search.

Well done!!

Old 12-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

You will love this car. Congratulations! And you will find it much more than fast enough...there is no reverse camera in the 2007 model although there have been some owners retrofitting an aftermarket unit. What you have on your screen shows what and where the sensors detect an obstruction.
The Bluetooth is for the phone...later models had more advanced systems but your car has the more reliable 4.2 litre engine and the very advanced feature of an actual oil dipstick which allows you to see at a glance not only the level but also the colour of the engine oil. What will they think of next!? Perhaps one day all cars will have this feature.
:Advice: unless the XK is to be used almost daily, it would be a very good idea to fit a CTEK battery maintainer and to use it when the car is not actually in use. These cars love and need full battery voltage. When the various modules do not get full voltage, random symptoms appear; in that case, htere is nothing wrong with the Jaguar except that the battery is not fully charged. If you do not have evidence of the age of the battery it would be best to get a new one, making sure that it is fully charged (new batteries are rarely fully charged).

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
MarkyUK (12-04-2018), nigelrw (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Now that you're in the club, please add your location to your signature:-)

Old 12-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like you did a good negotiating job!

I assume you have 20" wheels given the Aluminum Luxury Package. Watch out when dealing with potholes as those wheels are the most likely to be damaged.
Glad your phone will pair; my iPhone 6s+ will not pair.

As previously stated, keep an eye on the 12V battery, although I understand you drive 30K miles/year so that usage should be able to keep the battery fully-charged.

I hope you enjoy owning the XK for an extended duration.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:28 PM

Thanks all. Its a black coupe. Yes, while it will be a daily driver, I do go out of town (fly elsewhere) for a few days to a week or two. What is a CTEK battery maintainer and how do you "fit" it. The guy I bought the car from says he used a "drip"charger that one can get at auto patrt stores, that you plug one end into an electric socket, hook one to the positive charger on the battery and another to any metal rod. What is a simple one I can find and use?

The car has upgraded Sentra wheels. Tomorrow, I will take and post the pictures in daylight.

St. Louis

Old 12-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Other drivers will tell you that your left side backup light is out, particularly when you're in a gas station. They're wrong - it's a British thing.

All 4.2L models came from the factory with only one backup light. The other side "backup light" is a red fog safety light that is illuminated by pushing a switch on the lower left side of the dashboard. Both taillights look the same, but they're not. Here's how to remember where they are.

To improve visibility in that ubiquitous British fog, a separate, bright red rear fog light is closest to the center line of the roadway - the driver's side. So, for RHD (UK) models, the fog light is on the right rear. And the backup light is on the left.

US models are the opposite, with the fog light on the left rear and the backup light on the right. That's why they'll tell you that your left backup light is out.

The 5.0L models with the new design LED taillights have two backup lights. Some Forum members have upgraded their 4.2L models with the LED taillights. It's expensive, but they say it makes their car go faster.

There is a wealth of information on this Forum. Learn to use the Advanced Search function. Here's more info about the backup light: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eplace-197380/

Your first purchase should be a quality battery maintainer, such as the CTEK MUS4.3. It's available on Amazon and there are lots of threads about it. A weak battery will cause many electrical fault warnings, and using a maintainer will minimize those problems. Always lock your car, even when parked in your garage, to shut off the computers and save your battery.

It is not uncommon for new XK owners to check on their new baby in their garage before going to sleep. This can last for weeks or months.

P.S. Don't use a "drip" or "trickle" charger, as they maintain a constant rate of charge that can boil out the electrolyte. A CTEK is a "smart" charger with various charging profiles that will not boil out the electrolyte and will keep your battery fully charged.

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-04-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Congratulations and welcome aboard. After you are done posting pics of your beautiful new cat. Toddle on down to your nearest Costco and buy a wireless backup camera as several other x150 owners have done. I understand it is a fairly easy install and all seem to be happy with the fix. When you buy your CTek also acquire the comfort cable. that should make it easier to reach a wall outlet. The whole Ctek purchase should set you back less than $100 and take no more than 20 minutes to install even if you have ten thumbs and no fingers.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Welcome to the ‘007 club!
+1 on all of the advise above.
The Senta wheels are the best looking, in my (not so humble) opinion.
Congrats, and enjoy the new toy!

Old 12-05-2018, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 AM

Quick questions.

1. Is it OK if I use a Battery maintainer only when I have the car parked for, say a week plus? Mostly, I drive it every day except when I am away on trips. OR should I do it every night?

2. The previous owner (lives 200 miles away) used to provide oil (Castrol Edge) and oil filter to a local place and get oil changed. I am too old to do it myself so looking at options (since I dont know local places, Jiffy Lube or Penzoil want to use their own oil).

Old 12-05-2018, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Quick questions.

1. Is it OK if I use a Battery maintainer only when I have the car parked for, say a week plus? Mostly, I drive it every day except when I am away on trips. OR should I do it every night?

2. The previous owner (lives 200 miles away) used to provide oil (Castrol Edge) and oil filter to a local place and get oil changed. I am too old to do it myself so looking at options (since I dont know local places, Jiffy Lube or Penzoil want to use their own oil).
I'd do the CTEK if you know you are not going to drive for 3+ days; why not? I connected mine to additional posts on the battery. and then ran the cord underneath lining in front of the battery. You'll be glad you bought the CTEK and will have it for future cars.

I would use the Castrol and OEM everything on the Jag. No worries when you use the correct stuff.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quick questions.

They want to but they will use your oil if you insist. At least that's the case up here in the frozen north.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
They want to but they will use your oil if you insist. At least that's the case up here in the frozen north.
I'd just go to a local garage - gas station and have them change the oil with supplied filter and oil. There is no magic to changing the oil the 4.2's.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I'd just go to a local garage - gas station and have them change the oil with supplied filter and oil. There is no magic to changing the oil the 4.2's.
No magic if they're driving over a pit. If they put it on a lift, amazing how many guys screw it up so that's just me, but yes, no magic to changing the oil on a 4.2

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Next question, I could not find anything in the manual about navigation but found a CD in the car saying 'navigation". How do you use it? Is it as simple as putting it into the CD slot? I know its a dumb question but your advice is appreciated.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Start your engine and turn on the navigation and see if it works for your area of the country. If not the navigation CD drive is on a shelf behind the back seat. Open the hatch and look in at the vertical bulkhead behind the back seat. There will be a plastic door on the right side, you can slide it open and access the navigation CD drive. The map CDs are a two disc set, so be sure the one in the drive has your state on it. Welcome to the 007 club.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Thanks. The damn thing at the back is not opening. I guess it has not been opened in 11 years and is stuck!

Old 12-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Unscrew the four net retainers behind the back seat and that panel will pop off. It'll give you access to the Nav CD box and the battery to see how old it is. I drive my car four days a week, 25 minutes twice a day and the battery stays up. I plugged it in Monday evening after changing the oil and it was topped off in the AM. Basically when the car starts doing oddball stuff charge it overnight because these critters are temperamental when the battery voltage gets low.

Quick Reply: Finally got it home just 20 minutes ago-questions galore!