XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

First CPO repair, glad I have it!

Old 05-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts
Default First CPO repair, glad I have it!

For my XK #2 bought a couple of months ago to replace the totaled XK #1, had my first trip to the dealer for a repair. The XK #1 did not have any repair issues other than the dampener in the glove box which was handled under factory warranty.

When I bought replacement XK a couple of months ago I searched out and found a CPO car as I like to have the extra coverage. Sure enough, as we were driving I noticed that the air conditioning would get musty and blow warm, usually on first start and every once and a while at stop lights. Asked the Wife if she noticed this and she said she had meant to tell me about that issue.

Took it in to report that I thought the compressor was shutting off intermittently and after they diagnosis I was right, the compressor was the issue and was replaced under CPO. Total cost would have been $2,000 or so, for me it was $0. I knew it was a covered component as I reviewed my paperwork prior to going in.

I of course had it at the Jag dealer and they gave me a 2016 XF as a loaner, since the repair took a full week the Wife and I had plenty of time behind the wheel. Decent car but not sure I would ever want one. Sure was quick!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,411 Posts

My A/C does exactly the same thing. It will blow ice cold as long as you're driving but blow warm air when stopped or in heavy traffic. I know it's the compressor because my mechanic checked, but am waiting til I have other work done.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (05-08-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

It would shut off and stay off for several minutes. Just accelerating didn't restart the compressor. I would have to pound the throttle, that part wasn't s problem! Then it would kick back on

Old 05-06-2016, 11:16 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine does something a little different-of course!!
When I first put on the A/C, if I set the temp to above the outside temp, it will blow warm air through the vents. If I turn the temp lower than the outside temp, it will blow cooler air into the cabin. Does this sound right?
Not used o this in my other cars. For example: if it's 68 outside and I turn on the A/C to 69 or 70, then warm air comes out of the vents. If I turn the temp down to 66 or 65, then it will blow cooler air. The cabin can be above or below the outside temp-makes no difference.
Is this the way it should work, or am I sensing a problem that doesn't exist??
Thanks all,
tnt10

Old 05-06-2016, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds right, if you set the temp for the air to something above the ambient temp then it would feel warmer? However, if you have the AC (compressor) active then it won't smell "musty". The compressor acts as a dryer even when heat is blowing. That is why the defrost button in your car also turns on the AC, it is removing moisture from the air even though the air is warm. My problem was very distinct, I mean when it was warm the air was HOT. I would stop at a light, the air would smell musty (try going to climate and hitting the AC button to turn off the compressor with the fan still running, smells like junk) and the air would blow at the outside temp of 90 degrees.

Another question, is the AUTO button lit up? If in AUTO mode then setting the reading to above ambient temp would mean that the system would think you want it warmer, so it will blow out warmer air.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I don't believe the ambient temp displayed on the infocenter is actually the ambient temperature used for the climate control system. Mine routinely displays a temperature that is WAY out of whack with reality (regularly 20+ degrees higher than actual ambient temperature) but it doesn't seem to impact interior temperatures.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I remember reading on another thread that it is common on our cars 2010 XK+ to have the a/c blow warm initially on startup (when cold) and then start cooling withing 20-30 seconds. I live in Florida and it could be 90+ outside with 100% humidity and I could hang beef inside my car with the a/c blowing.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I don't believe the ambient temp displayed on the infocenter is actually the ambient temperature used for the climate control system. Mine routinely displays a temperature that is WAY out of whack with reality (regularly 20+ degrees higher than actual ambient temperature) but it doesn't seem to impact interior temperatures.
Yeah, I believe what you are referring to on the infocenter is the outside temp, which may or may not be the ambient temp in the cabin. As you say, it has no relevance on the climate system in the car as it senses internal temp. What I meant is that if the interior ambient temp of the car has stabilized to, say 75 degrees, because you have had the climate control locked on a certain temp for a bit, then you increase the temp in the climate control, the air blowing out will of course be warmer.

On my 2012 with the Auto Climate button, for that matter any car I have had with an Auto setting, if you increase the temp on the controls it will blow warm to change the cabin to you new desired temp. That only occurs for a couple of minutes until the new, warmer temp is stablized in the cabin.

Originally Posted by bocatrip
I remember reading on another thread that it is common on our cars 2010 XK+ to have the a/c blow warm initially on startup (when cold) and then start cooling withing 20-30 seconds. I live in Florida and it could be 90+ outside with 100% humidity and I could hang beef inside my car with the a/c blowing.
Yeah, this is normal operation for any car, especially in Florida. Even worse on a sunny day parked outside.

That is what really exposed this issue. When I bought the car it was cooler out and wasn't as noticeable, plus we keep the car in the garage so the typical starting temp is not terribly high. But now that we have been in the 90's and the car sitting outside while driving around it would sometimes not kick on for 5 minutes. Just hot steamy air blowing in your face for way too long!

Now I am like you, can hang meat in the car.