XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sliding panel on each side of tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 06:23 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sliding panel on each side of tonneau cover

Hi. One of these panels has ceased working; it is stuck in the open position so at least I can raise and lower the roof. I have been able to re-sit its pins in the right tracks, so it now slides too and fro very easily. But I will have to get into it to get it re-attached so it operates correctly.

Its a job I must tackle, and I have found useful threads here for removing the trim panel to get access, and the manual instructions for this job. I am grateful for these; thanks, guys.

However, it seems to be operated by Strings and Springs and Things. In fact the front string seems to have broken and I have un-hitched and rescued the rear string, still attached to a caged spring and the broken front string, before it got tangled up with anything else and broken some more. I shall be in a hurry to complete the job when I get to it so I am keen to be well prepared when I start it. But I have been unable to find any pictures or drawings of this string/spring assembly. Anyone know of any, please?

I am particularly keen to find out how the white spring cage should be attached to the underneath of the sliding panel, which I assume it should be.

Any pictures, tips or advice would be gratefully received.

JT

Old 09-16-2023, 11:15 AM
Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaunty
Hi. One of these panels has ceased working; it is stuck in the open position so at least I can raise and lower the roof. I have been able to re-sit its pins in the right tracks, so it now slides too and fro very easily. But I will have to get into it to get it re-attached so it operates correctly.

Its a job I must tackle, and I have found useful threads here for removing the trim panel to get access, and the manual instructions for this job. I am grateful for these; thanks, guys.

However, it seems to be operated by Strings and Springs and Things. In fact the front string seems to have broken and I have un-hitched and rescued the rear string, still attached to a caged spring and the broken front string, before it got tangled up with anything else and broken some more. I shall be in a hurry to complete the job when I get to it so I am keen to be well prepared when I start it. But I have been unable to find any pictures or drawings of this string/spring assembly. Anyone know of any, please?

I am particularly keen to find out how the white spring cage should be attached to the underneath of the sliding panel, which I assume it should be.

Any pictures, tips or advice would be gratefully received.

JT
@Jaunty I posted some pics in a related thread. Maybe they will help connect some dots for you. Here's the thread.... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post2663107

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Jaunty (09-16-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 11:38 AM

Thanks for this reply. Your pictures are very helpful. The second one shows exactly what I can feel of the underside of the sliding panel. Am I right that little plastic lugs have broken of this side of the panel and released the white plastic caged spring assembly? I think that is exactly what has happened to mine.
May I run something passed you, please? I am thinking that if I slacken the bolt that sets and holds the correct spacing, 89mm?, between the tracks, I will be able to spring the tracks apart enough to remove the sliding panel from its tracks without fully removing the quarter trim panel? Then I can try to glue the caged spring back onto whatever lugs are left on the underside of the panel, re-assembly and It may work again?

Again, thanks for your help.
JT

Old 09-16-2023, 02:41 PM
Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaunty
Thanks for this reply. Your pictures are very helpful. The second one shows exactly what I can feel of the underside of the sliding panel. Am I right that little plastic lugs have broken of this side of the panel and released the white plastic caged spring assembly? I think that is exactly what has happened to mine.
May I run something passed you, please? I am thinking that if I slacken the bolt that sets and holds the correct spacing, 89mm?, between the tracks, I will be able to spring the tracks apart enough to remove the sliding panel from its tracks without fully removing the quarter trim panel? Then I can try to glue the caged spring back onto whatever lugs are left on the underside of the panel, re-assembly and It may work again?

Again, thanks for your help.
JT
It's hard for me to make detailed suggestions for your situation without being able to see what you see. But, I can at least tell you that you can take the cover out of the tracks without removing the interior back seat trim panel. I hit the sliding panel a little bit with a heat gun (to soften the plastic) and then was able to carefully bend the plastic "pins" out of the channels that they slide in.

The safest option for protecting the plastic pins on the sliding cover is to remove the back seat panel. But, removing the back seat trim you run the risk of damaging something there. So, you have to pick your poison there. I can also tell you that if you don't remove the back seat panel that you won't get full access to the forward wire that connects to the white plastic cylinder (the wire more towards the front of the car, not the wire connected to the convertible top hardware towards the trunk).

Last edited by bgpenguin21; 09-16-2023 at 08:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaunty (09-17-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 652 Likes on 317 Posts

I had mine out when installing new rear speakers and I believe you would be better off removing the side panel, you will then be able to actually see everything that might be broken or tweaked. I rebuilt my spring thingy with fishing leader 90lb. I pulled all the original thread like line and duplicated it, then reinstalled.
Patience is required.
wj

The following 3 users liked this post by wymjym:
bgpenguin21 (09-16-2023), Jaunty (09-17-2023), McJag222 (09-16-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 04:16 AM

Thanks, BGPenguin and WymJym. Useful information and advice. I think I shall remove the panel, then I can check everything out; something must have jammed but it all seems free now I have got the pins back in their tracks. Perhaps the gap between the tracks had opened up a bit; I must check that?

WymJym, how did you make the terminal loops in the fishing leader, please? Would tying a Bowline be adequate? I've never tied fishing flies, and the fishing lines I have seen seem pretty springy and not easily tieable? I think they have been monofilament, but can you get rope-laid fishing line I wonder?
JT

Old 09-17-2023, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 652 Likes on 317 Posts

I think BJpenguin21 has something similar in his post but...
here is what I used, I have various crimpers and just grabbed this one, others would work.
wj

The following 4 users liked this post by wymjym:
bgpenguin21 (09-18-2023), fritzthecat (09-19-2023), Jaunty (09-17-2023), McJag222 (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 02:11 PM

Thanks WymJym. That sees me all set to do the job properly. A great help.

Old 09-18-2023, 07:33 AM
Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

If you haven’t seen it already, this post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post2619732

is my write-up on how to remove and repair the rear interior panel. It’s not terribly hard. Have patience and good luck!

The following 3 users liked this post by fritzthecat:
bgpenguin21 (09-18-2023), Jaunty (09-18-2023), McJag222 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 03:26 PM

Thank you Fritzthecat. You have re-inforced my feeling that I must take it all apart to find out what caused it to jump track in the first plave. Very helpful pictures, thanks.
JT