XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Greetings and questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Greetings and questions

Hey everyone. I'm thinking about joining the Jaguar owners club. I've always been a fan of the Jaguar design aesthetic, and for the last 2 years or so, I have been considering purchasing a used XK/XKR. I'm on the fence between the two models, price being somewhat of a factor and long term maintenance/running costs being the other. This car would be a secondary vehicle, driven by myself and occasionally my wife.

I'd like to get the latest, lowest mileage model year for my money, and going the XKR route would probably put me back a model year or two. The car would not be driven daily, and I'd be putting only a few thousand miles on it a year. I'd describe my self as an enthusiast (attended Skip Barber a few times) but not really looking to tear up the roads.... just looking for a classy sporty ride that I would keep for many years. The older, wiser part of me says stick with a basic model (XK), while my heart says you only live once (get the XKR). I'd like to keep the budget in the $35k to $40k range.

I'm not poor, but also not loaded, and I'm wondering about long term maintenance, repairs etc. Can you help me out with my decision and also let me know if buying used from a dealer (probably Madison Jaguar in NJ) or privately (willing to do a search and have it shipped) is a better bet. Thanks for your help!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

This is a really common question and of course only you can decide what you really want, but I think all here would agree that the 2010 XK is the best

OK, just kidding. The engine size changed between 2009 to 2010 to you get more power with the later models. If that's good enough you may not need the XKR, but I still find myself wondering what 500 Hp must feel like some days. I can tell you that I certainly don't miss it on most drives, as the 385 Hp feels so good.

The front end also changed with the 2010, and many like the older front nose better.

We can only speculate about long term maintenance costs as many of these are just now getting out of warranty. I'd expect the supercharged would have some additional problems in the very long run, but you might be supprised.

Expect about $1000 per year for routine work on both cars. You need brakes flushed regularly, oil changes of course, etc.

Last edited by Muddydog; 12-05-2014 at 10:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SeanU (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 10:26 AM

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Post up a "hello" in the new members section and you'll get some welcomes from people all over the world.

SeanU (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

SeanU,

I recommend you get the top-of-the line XKR, either coupe or convertible, whichever body style you prefer.

Considering your $35K to $40K price range, I suggest you look nationwide for a low mileage 2009 XKR. Note that various trim, color and equipment options were available, so do your research and decide what's important to you. Some options, such as Alcon brakes and Adaptive Cruise Control are rare and hard to find. 2009 was the last year for the 4.2L engine (420HP SC), which is very reliable and plenty quick enough for me. Also, 2009 was the first year for iPod integration. Yes, the 2010-up models have many improvements (5.0L, e-Diff, LED tail lights, all "options" were standard in 2010) but you might not find a low mileage one in your price range.

Finding the car in the colors and options you want might not be possible locally. Regardless of where that car may be located, it is critical that you do your due diligence before finalizing the deal. CarFax and AutoCheck can alert you to problems, but in my experience never rely on a so-called "clean" record and always pay a local Jaguar dealer do a complete pre-purchase inspection for you in writing (except for a JSECPO car). And ask the seller to provide you with all the service records and represent to you in writing that the car has not had any paint or body repairs.

As of today, cars.com lists only six 2009 XKRs with under 30,000 miles available nationally, ranging in price from $38,000 (coupe, 27K miles) to $49,000 (convertible, 14K miles): Used Jaguar XKR - in 07728 Area - on Cars.com

Alternatively, if you can squeeze a bit more out of your budget, you might want to consider a 2010-up XKR with higher mileage and Jaguar Select Edition CPO warranty. See: Select Certified Pre-Owned Models| Jaguar USA There's a 41.5K mile 2011 convertible for $45K at Jaguar Willow Grove, PA. Certified 2011 Jaguar XK for sale in Willow Grove, PA | Jaguar USA I'd look at this one - it's worth the extra $$$ IMHO.

Good luck with your search!

Stuart

P.S. Since you're a newbie, you'll find this Forum to be a gold mine of information with very helpful members. Learn to use the Search function. Also, if you find a post to be helpful, click the Thanks button on the bottom right.

SeanU (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 12:03 PM

We haven't mentioned the "biggest" difference, or you would think it's the biggest from the passion it evokes, is the shifting mechanism. Some really do not like the star-trek shifting knob that rises out of the center console on the newer cars. I, personally, think it's more honest to use the lovely, space-age rotary knob rather than a big lever to send a software command to your transmission, but some like the "stick" as a throw back to the era when we actually drove cars, instead of allowed computers to drive cars. Interior preferences are a big factor in choosing a plush, luxury automobile, so sit in a few and figure out what you like.

SeanU (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

For $35-40 I would say you would be choosing between and 2009 and earlier XKR 4.2 liter engine or a 2010-11 5.0 liter XK.
I would suggest going with the newer 5.0 XK. You should drive each to see if there is enough of a difference for you. We are talking 410 hp xkr to 385 hp xk. Seems like they are conservative on the published 385 hp. I love mine.

SeanU (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Default Thanks!

Thanks for the friendly welcome and advice. I probably won't be purchasing until the spring, and hopefully will be back to join you all as a more permanent member! Leaning right now toward newer XK... will try to do some test drives of both if possible.

Sean

Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I did my homework and decided to go for at minimal a 2012 XKR convertible. Being an old coot it was time to move to a convert as what I would believe will be my last fun car. I liked the lines of the XK but I wanted the power just for the hell of it. If I could have afforded the additional bucks I would have gone for an XKR-S. The reason for my MY selection was the slight changes done for the 2012 . I liked the headlight and grill change and the addition of the LED's. Also the back up camera was a big seller. I liked changing the front wing vents from vertical to horizontal. I also liked the "hockey puck" shifter that came with the 2010 revamp. As for performance I didn't test drive a XK but the 510 HP is great and a real rush. In all of my years of fun sports cars this engine is the most fun as it never seems to run out of power. You also get the electronic posi rear which is good. I lucked out and got the performance exhaust and I find it to be the best of both worlds. And last was the 2012 -2015 models all look the same so to me it is the last model style built. Oh I did consider the F-Type but I wanted the extra space in the XK and the F-Type was to tight for me besides the V8 price was out of my range. Whatever you get , get what you want and enjoy the ride.

SeanU (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Having driven both a 5 litre XKR and owning a 4.2 litre XK I have to offer an opinion: the outrageous power of an XKR is utterly unneeded and not even noticeable in typical modern driving conditions (and then there is the fuel consumption penalty). A plain XK (read: drop-dead gorgeous, incredibly luxurious and very fast) has far more power than can every be used legitimately, with acceleration that is shocking. My experience, having driven the two models back-to-back is that in normal driving conditions no difference at all can be discerned between the XK and the XKR. Few of us use the cars for "track days" and few of us are as irresponsibly childish as the Top Gear crew. I have found it impossible to exploit the power and speed of my XK even on long highway trips - why would I want an XKR? (arguably less pretty...)
I am putting a bullet-proof vest on.

The following 4 users liked this post by sov211:
bobdr1 (12-05-2014), britannia (12-08-2014), richzak (12-05-2014), SeanU (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 PM

"Legitimately" being the hinge your statement swings on.

I drove my 5.0 XK back-to-back with a friend's 4.2 XKR and I did notice his had more of the snap-your-head-back low end torque right at the very first. Mine growls a bit before it catches. His felt like a peppy rabbit and mine feels like a sleeping bear that gets angry when you wake it... really angry. He traded it in later for the Porsche, which makes sense if that's what he was going for.

XJDanny (02-20-2015)
Old 12-05-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
No shots coming from me, this is the kind of feedback I am looking for. If I lived closer to Watkins Glen, I would be more inclined to get the XKR. I'm also fine with getting a car with fewer of the advanced and more expensive to repair options.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Having driven both a 5 litre XKR and owning a 4.2 litre XK I have to offer an opinion: the outrageous power of an XKR is utterly unneeded and not even noticeable in typical modern driving conditions (and then there is the fuel consumption penalty). A plain XK (read: drop-dead gorgeous, incredibly luxurious and very fast) has far more power than can every be used legitimately, with acceleration that is shocking. My experience, having driven the two models back-to-back is that in normal driving conditions no difference at all can be discerned between the XK and the XKR. Few of us use the cars for "track days" and few of us are as irresponsibly childish as the Top Gear crew. I have found it impossible to exploit the power and speed of my XK even on long highway trips - why would I want an XKR? (arguably less pretty...)
Greg no flames here as we all have our own opinions. You're right about the HP as no one needs it and what can you do with it. I got it because I wanted it. Simple answer and at 70mph it doesn't make any difference but it makes me feel good to have it. As to mpg it's not that different but here again I don't care because it is what I wanted. We both and I guess all of us like the style and feel good driving it around. I have a friend of mine that turned 82 this year. On our last visit (he owns a 99 XK convert) I let him take mine for a drive and he was astonished about the power as he got heavy into the go peddle . He loved it but said he wouldn't trade in his 99 for it. That's all that counts so enjoy the feeling and enjoy the ride.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely try to drive a regular XK first. I've had mine almost 3 years now (a 2011), and I always wondered if I'd regret not spending the extra for the R and the extra power. Everybody's budget and needs are different, but if I was going to regret my purchase, I would have by now. I'd love more power, just like anybdy.. "just because." Still, years later I don't regret not spending what it would have taken to get the R. For me and my needs, it's plenty. Only you will be able to decide if the extra cash will be worth it.

It's easy to fall into the "trap" of thinking one car is slow because there is a faster version of the same model. Only a very select group of people would ever say the regular XK isn't very, very fast. A lot of them just happen to hang out here haha...

The following 2 users liked this post by TheMCP:
Muddydog (12-05-2014), XJDanny (02-20-2015)
Old 12-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Jag really did itself proud with the intro of the 07 and up XK Series cars. I view it as one of the most successful new car introductions of its type made by any car company for a very long time.

The car has no major reliability vices and is a marvelous combo of performance, looks, refinement and price. If a GT type car is for you, go for the most you can afford. There are lots of available low mileage examples out there.

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 12-06-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

The 2010+ xk have awesome power, personally would not spend the extra money for xkr. I think the main reason most people buy the jags is their beauty and prestige. Depends on what you are looking for. Look online for the exact color/interior that you want, in my opinion in the long run, this will mean more to you then the extra horsepower.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Hello SeanU and welcome to this "GREAT" website for Jaguar owners and enthusiasts.

I own a 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible. Photos can be seen in my signature below to a photoshow of my car.

The car is the 4.2L Supercharged engine. As "SOV211" states in his post above, and I totally agree with him about excess HP in any car driven on American roads or highways. You can only go so fast without getting speeding tickets and perhaps injuring yourself or others. The Jaguar 4.2L SC engine exceeds the power that any one would want unless the buyer is totally into horsepower, So many today think a 500 or 600 HP engine is cool. Both the 4.2L or 5.0L have proven to be reliable except for some issues related to water pumps in the 2010 and beyond. Also the Jaguars eat up batteries, and can cause minor related problems, so an expensive battery maintainer is a top suggestion for the very first aftermarket item that you would want to buy to keep the battery fully charged.

My 2009 currently has 16,400 miles. Over the last 19 months, my true cost for maintenence (mechanical issues) has been $135.00 (oil change & filter, replacment of a trunk lightbulb and inspection by the local Jaguar dealer in El Paso, Texas). Yes, just $135.00. I did purchase a new set of tires for about $800, which was my own choice. But true costs to keep the car maintained in top shape has been minimal.

As "Stuart S" states in his post above, I strongly agree to shop around. Determine what your budget is, then proceed to shop. Be sure to complete as much research as possible and ask many questions here on the forum.

The Jaguar brand is a luxury, pristege premium brand, that few people own. There are many owners who drive these cars with minimal mileage on an annual basis. These are the cars you want to find.

Good luck in your hunt, and keep active here on the Jaguar Forum. The learning curve to owning a Jaguar is steep, and there is a vast amount of information here on so many topics.

Be sure to go out and test drive a few different model years. First make the decision , "do you want a coupe or convertible?".

Happy motoring.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

SeanU,
I would suggest you drive both the XK and the XKR and see which one you like better. There are luxury car rental agencies that have both, rent them for a day and live with them.

The 5.0L engine is a marvel. In the supercharged version, it's performance is breathtaking. I also have a 2002 XKR with 375hp (about the same as the XK), and I love it dearly, and definitely not devoid of power. But my 2010 XKR coupe is simply addicting to drive, from its power to its suspension to its paddle shifters and rev-matching.

Drive them and take the decision out of the theoretical.
And by the way, there are plenty of 5.0L XKRs available in your price range. (I bought mine in that range about 6 months ago)

Attached Thumbnails Greetings and questions-dscf1353-1280x960-.jpg   Greetings and questions-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I own a 2012 xk vert. It is my daily driver. My previous daily driver was a 2008 xk vert. Having experienced both of them for several years, I am convinced that the 2010+ xk's are superior to the 2007-2009 vehicles. The main difference being 5.0 liter drive-train and some slight modifications to the body and interior styling.

My 12 vert has been tuned and I have installed a Mina exhaust system. Result - about 425 bhp, which is an increase of 40bhp from stock, and slightly improved gasoline mileage (if I could just keep my foot from pressing down hard on the pedal).
The car is very reliable. We have completed several road trips ranging from 800 miles to 2000 miles with nary a problem and averaging around 23mpg at an average speed of about 55 mph which means road speeds of 75 - 80 mph when possible. Yes, I have a built in front and rear radar detector and a front laser detector.
No matter which you end up buying you are in for a real treat. I agree with Ted; if possible test drive both the xk and xkr for a day or two each. That will help you reach your decision. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Default One last question for now

Were there any major first year teething issues for the 2010's that got resolved in 2011? At this point you guys have me leaning toward a 2010+ XK Coupe. Would love to get British Racing Green with tan interior... search will start in the spring. Thanks again for the input.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

My Canadian friend Gregory is correct! any XK is a fabulous vehicle; why only yesterday I was able to pass on the on ramp without a Super. on way to Seattle Jag Club Christmas party...........
My '07 XK Coupe is by far best Jag I have ever owned (had 13); you will be very happy with any XK model!
Worst one was a 1937 SS100; drove like a truck BUT what a fabulous looker.

Good hunting, Adrian

Quick Reply: Greetings and questions