XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Head liner options 11 xk coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 10:16 PM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Head liner options 11 xk coupe

My headliner is looks like a hookers blouse, with what jag wants for a new one, I could have a hooker for a week LOL. Seriously, is there an option out there that lasts?
I live in Florida and the weather is not kind to cars.

Old 08-01-2022, 11:14 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I had a local upholstery shop redo mine, reasonably priced and solved.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:07 AM
Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

When the headliner in my XJ came down, I used upholstery twist pins to keep it up temporarily until I found a place to redo it.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:33 AM
Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

Member Tberg is the man with the correct headliner material. I just had the wifes done as a local upholstery shop. Since mines 3 years newer, I figure I have three years before mine bites the dust. Shoudnt be more than a couple hundred Plus materials. I search various posts here on how to remove the pillars as you might want to remove them yourself so nothing gets broke.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,569 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Headliners fail and fall down because the foam backing used by the factory turns to powder as it disintegrates which results in the fabric not being attached to the ceiling any longer. You will get much longer life gluing a non-foam backed suede directly to the shell. The Passion Suede product that I have provided to many forum members for their headliners does not have foam bonded to it but is thicker than the OEM Alcantara Suede so it still maintains some of the insulating qualities. With a high quality adhesive you should get lifetime durability.

The following users liked this post:
4TimeOwner (08-13-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 05:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried to order a headliner from Jag (around $600) so I could replace it myself but its backordered with no ETA. I also noticed my pillars and visors were coming loose so I just dropped it off a shop that's charging me $1300 for the full job. I shopped around and every place was quoting me something similar.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner replacement for 2010 XK Coupe

Headliner replacement for 2010 XK. My experience is like others' on the Forum: getting a headliner replaced is a royal pain. This is the second time I have needed one redone after all the fabric became detached and fell down, Those failures appear to be due to our extreme heat in Southern California. My first task is to find a really competent upholstery shop in the Los Angeles area to do the job––preferably in the eastern section of the City, or Pasadena, or Orange County. A location is Riverside would be ideal; that's where I live. I have asked around here, but I haven't yet found a shop in which I would be confident. I have searched the Internet for a Jaguar OEM headliner, and the one seller who has one wants over $1000. I would even buy that except I am not sure that he has the correct color. Any more information about the availability of non-Jaguar fabric to do the job would be welcome.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TimeOwner
Headliner replacement for 2010 XK. My experience is like others' on the Forum: getting a headliner replaced is a royal pain. This is the second time I have needed one redone after all the fabric became detached and fell down, Those failures appear to be due to our extreme heat in Southern California. My first task is to find a really competent upholstery shop in the Los Angeles area to do the job––preferably in the eastern section of the City, or Pasadena, or Orange County. A location is Riverside would be ideal; that's where I live. I have asked around here, but I haven't yet found a shop in which I would be confident. I have searched the Internet for a Jaguar OEM headliner, and the one seller who has one wants over $1000. I would even buy that except I am not sure that he has the correct color. Any more information about the availability of non-Jaguar fabric to do the job would be welcome.
More than likely, that $1,000 might just be for the headliner center piece and excludes the 8 trim pieces and 2 sun visors. What ends up is a mismatch in addition to some of the other parts that may still need to be redone. I would think that in the Cali area you would be able to find a competent shop with all the many collectible cars there. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 08-12-2022, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TimeOwner
You're in luck, member @tberg 's located in your area and has much expertise with this subject.

ralphwg (08-13-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 05:04 PM
Received 182 Likes on 103 Posts

Thread drift....when mine dies, im thinking about redoing it in leather. Headliner guy said bad idea in Florida due to the heat. but a leather headliner is standard on every Bentley bla bla bla.

V7Sport (08-13-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,463 Posts

JLR’s done them as an option, called Poltrona Frau but yes it tends to come crashing down. Good adhesive will keep that from happening and I agree it looks quite fantastic.

Old 08-13-2022, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 905 Posts

If you want a second opinion go with Jack's Auto Interiors Tel 818-344-9752, address: 18551 Topham, Unit M in Tarzana. He runs a very fine interior restoration shop. I used him for some work on my XJS. Good luck!

jahummer (08-14-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip
More than likely, that $1,000 might just be for the headliner center piece and excludes the 8 trim pieces and 2 sun visors. What ends up is a mismatch in addition to some of the other parts that may still need to be redone. I would think that in the Cali area you would be able to find a competent shop with all the many collectible cars there. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Thank you. I am aware of the scope of a Jaguar headliner replacement job. Previously, I had that problem with an XK8 Coupe, and a Southern California upholstery shop made the replacement with a fabric that did not quite match the original color. That XK8 did not have side airbags. My 2010 XK Coupe has them, and that makes the job a little more problematic. My dealer, Rusnak Jaguar in Pasadena, recommended that first upholstery shop, but they have since cancelled that recommendation. Rusnak has stepped away from recommending any upholstery shop in SoCal to fix dropped headliners. If you're a Jaguar owner that has this problem, you're on your own! I have already stopped to ask the best car restorer that I know of whether they would replace my headliner. They have a fabulous upholstery guy who turns out perfection in half-million-dollar restorations. He begged off doing my XK because he was not familiar with how the modern Jaguar plastic bits and pieces come off. He was concerned about breaking something on removal. He also was not comfortable with working with side air bags, which have wiring connections in the seats and B-Pillars. Summing up: I am looking for a good upholstery shop in Southern California that has actually done a headliner replacement on an XK Coupe before. I understand that fellow Forum member tberg has a wealth oif information about shops in SoCal, and about replacement fabrics if I am not able to buy an exact OEM headliner from Jaguar. I would love to hear from him.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,569 Likes on 1,418 Posts

4TimeOwner,
PM me and I will send you my phone number and we can talk.
Thanks
Ted

Old 08-14-2022, 09:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headliner replacement

Originally Posted by randyb
My headliner is looks like a hookers blouse, with what jag wants for a new one, I could have a hooker for a week LOL. Seriously, is there an option out there that lasts?
I live in Florida and the weather is not kind to cars.

Randy: Not sure where in Florida you are, but my 07 xkr coupe needed a headliner about 18 months ago. I took it to a local Ft Lauderdale upholstery shop, good job, no problems, reasonable price ( I don't recall the exact amount) If you're in Ft Lauderdale or near by send me a PM and I'll provide a phone #. I don't believe the forum allows posting a shops' name.

Jeff

Old 08-15-2022, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,947 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by jjackerson
I don't believe the forum allows posting a shops' name.
I don’t think it’s against forum rules if you have personal experience with a shop and are reporting your experience, not just advertising or bashing a place. We’d all like to know reputable places to take our business.
Something like a good headliner replacement shop report would probably be also helpful in the regional section, as the service would be of use to others besides X150 owners in that area.

Old 08-16-2022, 03:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headliner failure

I had two 07's an XK and an XKR. Both suffered headliner collapse with 8 weeks. I used: Auto Upholstery by Howard in Ft Lauderdale.(954-761-8375) Not a fancy shop. My headliners came out of his catalogue of materials and colors. Close enough match to negate need for sunshade recovering. Close enough to match the windshield pillars. Price moderate. If you're a prefectionist and only OEM is good enough, probably not your choice. But a reasonable product at a reasonable price done in a day.

Jeff

Old 08-17-2022, 02:25 AM

The liner in my 2013 XK came down so I looked for a shop in the area. Found one in Mission Viejo, CA. The shop did a nice job for lot less than what I see as the dealer cost. I paid $700.00. They removed and put back all the trim. Cannot tell that it was removed.
If you are willing to drive down and leave the car for 2 days with the shop, give them a call and set up an appointment. They were pretty busy when I took it in, so it took 2 days.
Mike's Auto Tops and Upholstery, 25701 Taladro, Unit D, Mission Viejo, 92691. 949-380-9859.
Kim