XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Help getting into trunk or charging XK

Old 04-28-2019, 11:04 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Help getting into trunk or charging XK

2007 XK

Wife and I went on vacation and when we got back either my dad or daughter lost the actual metal key out of our key fob.(Only key fob) Friday night something happened and the XK didn't turn everything off so Saturday morning it was dead. Now I can't get into the trunk to charge it. I've tried charging it using the + post on the bottom of the XK behind the rear wheel. The problem is as soon as I plug my charger in the head lights and rear lights start flickering. It never allows the car to get enough of a charge and also not enough for me to pop the trunk. Any advice? I tried jumping it using the post on the bottom but it gave me no help at all.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,145 Likes on 3,082 Posts

What sort of charger are you using??? A 10-amp actual charger and NOT a maintainer should have zero problems charging it after the lights and alarm and such calm down. Maybe just use a good charger and give it some time.
Oh, are you sure you attach the negative charging lead to a GOOD ground? That right there could be a problem, with epoxied body panels and such.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by robbing
2007 XK

Wife and I went on vacation and when we got back either my dad or daughter lost the actual metal key out of our key fob.(Only key fob) Friday night something happened and the XK didn't turn everything off so Saturday morning it was dead. Now I can't get into the trunk to charge it. I've tried charging it using the + post on the bottom of the XK behind the rear wheel. The problem is as soon as I plug my charger in the head lights and rear lights start flickering. It never allows the car to get enough of a charge and also not enough for me to pop the trunk. Any advice? I tried jumping it using the post on the bottom but it gave me no help at all.
Other then having someone pick the trunk lock the only way is to use the positive post under the rear fender. Is the car locked. Also what kind of charger are you using. You would need better then 10 amp charger . I believe the lights going on are the issues caused by a bad battery. I would put a 10-25 amp charger on it and try to open the doors and press the trunk button or with the larger charger and the key fob try to unlock the trunk at the rear. What happens when you press the key fob . Is this a coupe or convert.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:26 AM

All I have is a trickle charger. The car is open so I'm now using the post in the rear seat on the fuse box. It has the post plus a ground I can connect to. The trickle gives it just enough that my front lights faintly flash and then that zaps was has been charged and then the process starts all over.(In a matter of a few seconds) I guess I'll go buy a better charger. Are there any fuses I could pull that would put the car in "sleep" mode so it's not trying to turn things on as soon as it gets a little charge?

Old 04-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Nothing happens when I push on the key fob. It's literally that dead that nothing is there. The trunk button the car doesn't have any juice either. I think somehow my son, who is only 15, messed with the light when I let him drive it that night and then they didn't get turned off. So it wiped the battery dead.

Also, it's a convertible.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:34 AM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

Easiest would be to connect jumper cables from another car to the jump/charge points behind the rear wheel. That should be more then enough to open the trunk or even start the car.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

A trickle charger will not do it nor should you be charging anyplace but the battery or the remote post. As soon as you go under the rear left fender behind the tire you need to pull the rubber cap (battery positive) and attach a 10 amp or better charger. Also you can hook up a battery jumper or another battery . Don't worry about the lights as larger charger will over power them and you should be able to open the trunk. Keep the large charger on until the battery is fully charged. When you get the car started have the battery checked as you may have damaged it and will need a new one. You may want to take your key fob and vin. # to jaguar and have them get you a few metal keys and maybe another fob.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,145 Likes on 3,082 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
.............. You may want to take your key fob and vin. # to jaguar and have them get you a few metal keys and maybe another fob.
Correct, but pricey. Total for two cut key blades, one Smart Key and programming is over $500.

Old 04-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Correct, but pricey. Total for two cut key blades, one Smart Key and programming is over $500.
Yeah but it's for a JAGUAR , lol. I also never understood why some people only get one key fob What ever happened to the other one.