XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help/HID Fog Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help/HID Fog Lamps

Dont know why Jag didnt install HID fog lamps to go along with the headlights..i dont like how they don't match and I rarely use the fog's. But has anyone changed their fog lamps to HID ones that match as close to the color temp of the headlights? If so, can someone please tell me the make and model number. Also would it be possible to drive with just the fog lights on during the day? Thanks guys.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not one person knows or has changed their fogs?? Come on guys help a brotha out.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Well... I've swapped out HIDs into standard enclosures in other vehicles before. I haven't looked too far into fogs, but I did do a conversion of main beams on my truck a few years ago. Essentially what you do is look up the bulb type (It looks like an H8 bulb, but you'd be best to double check that) and then find a conversion kit. Some of the kits are quite shoddy in quality, others are just fine. Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks for them. As for color temp, if you want to match factory color, look for something in the high 3000s or low 4000s. The 4200 kit on my truck is slightly bluer than the stock HIDs I have in my other vehicles -- but they're still white. The trickiest part of any of these conversions is to find a place to put the ballasts. They're not terribly delicate, but need to be secured as they're bulky. You shouldn't need to worry much about power as HIDs pull less power than Halogen bulbs. I think the H8 HIDs are 35 watts, so it's pretty small. I took me a couple of hours wrenching in the garage to install them -- it's a relatively simple install if you're prone to working on your own toys.

I can't comment on the fog's only bit for driving. Different MFGs wire them up in typically two ways: 1 -- fogs only can come on if main beams are on or 2 -- fogs can come on if parking lamps are on. I know Toyota and Nissan follow #1 and Dodge follows #2. If you need to change from #1 to #2, you have to get a wee bit more clever and have to start following the wiring diagram around to see if you can change where the fogs and fog switch pull their power from.

Hope this is of some help. As for finding kits, Google for H8 and HID conversion -- you'll have a lot of options.

H8 HID XENON KIT with All Wires, Ballasts, HID Xenon Bulbs
H.I.D. conversion kits, Inexpensive HID lights, Conversion Kit, Xenon High Intensity Discharge Conversions, bulbs
h8 hid conversion - Google Search