Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do YOU cherish your Jaguar or significant other cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts
Default How do YOU cherish your Jaguar or significant other cars

Where I was originally more into waxing and admiring collectible performance cars, that has changed over the years to waxing and enjoying their performance attributes when driving them. I enjoy keeping them in pristine condition, and protect them from the general driving public and the elements by driving and parking them with care, and always use a daily driver for all but fair-weather pleasure use.

I've found that actually using them this way allows me to appreciate them in a way that I never could before when I was more reluctant to drive them. The most memorable times have been special weekends away with my wife in them, driving to and from distant race tracks, and driving them around those road courses with the passion of the engineers that designed their spectacular performance. I've prepared myself with high performance driver training and experience, and been meticulous about vehicle preparation and maintenance for the more demanding track use. Tires and brake pads wear quicker, but other than that the cars have taken this use in stride, and I've been fortunate not to have had a single part wear out on any of the three cars I've tracked for the last many years. It definitely pays to buy quality.

And it's these uses that I bought the XKR for, and how I've cherish it most. How about you?

Bruce

Old 03-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

My cars are hand washed/hand detailed and the ownership of automobiles is a passion and always have been. I enjoy taking out the Jaguar XKR when I want a smooth luxury ride, and enjoy the top down.

When wanting the need for the sportscar ride and pleasure my choice is the Porsche 981. Both are beautiful cars but yet so different. While both are considered high performance autos, I refuse to track either car. I have spent many years in a real racing environment with open wheel formula race cars, and have enjoyed many open track days with the Formula Ford, F2000 and F1000 race cars. But I have seen so many people beat up nice performance street cars on track days. So that is my main reason for NOT using my cars on track days.

I realize that many owners will go this route, and that is ok, its just my personal choice. If I want to enjoy track days, I will re-acquire a true track race car.

I am one to maintain my cars to the highest level and my neighbors think I am crazy washing and detailing the cars often. I really enjoy owning the Jaguar XKR and Porsche Cayman 981.

I really don't like to see beautiful performance autos going down the roads and seeing owners not caring and maintaining their rides.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Where I was originally more into waxing and admiring collectible performance cars, that has changed over the years to waxing and enjoying their performance attributes when driving them. I enjoy keeping them in pristine condition, and protect them from the general driving public and the elements by driving and parking them with care, and always use a daily driver for all but fair-weather pleasure use.

I've found that actually using them this way allows me to appreciate them in a way that I never could before when I was more reluctant to drive them. The most memorable times have been special weekends away with my wife in them, driving to and from distant race tracks, and driving them around those road courses with the passion of the engineers that designed their spectacular performance. I've prepared myself with high performance driver training and experience, and been meticulous about vehicle preparation and maintenance for the more demanding track use. Tires and brake pads wear quicker, but other than that the cars have taken this use in stride, and I've been fortunate not to have had a single part wear out on any of the three cars I've tracked for the last many years. It definitely pays to buy quality.

And it's these uses that I bought the XKR for, and how I've cherish it most. How about you?

Bruce

Bruce H. I certainly can relate to your post. Although I do not track my car, I'm into that "special care" of my car even more so than you are now. After relinquishing ownership of my almost 11 year old G35 Coupe which I purchased new, the car was probably one of the finest original examples out there. The final sale price reflected this condition. I always take great care of all the cars I've ever owned, and the XK is no exception. However, let me emphasize that for me, keeping a car to the standards I demand requires much effort and care that goes beyond just taking care of maintenance items and being careful. I happen to be way over the top with my obsessive need to keeping the car as close to perfection as possible. It not only requires work, but it is somewhat draining as I methodically plan where the car will be parked, when and where it will be driven and what products I use to keep it clean. Yes, I'm a certifiable car nut and this time around I'm glad I did not purchase my car new as the very first nick or scratch would drive me bonkers. I know this behavior is probably not normal, but I'm glad to see there are others out there with similar traits. Since I purchased my XK with 5,000 miles it is quite likely that the mileage will stay low during my ownership. It truly is a thing of beauty and I enjoy it's exclusivity knowing I won't see another XK Coupe everyday I take a drive.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I tend to drive them more sparingly, pay extra for covered parking and wash them more frequently, by hand. I also try to have the cars completely sorted, whereas for an appliance car I may ignore an issue if it's not safety-related.

The XKR is definitely the most satisfying car to own that I've had so far, out of about 10 cars.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
I refuse to track either car. I have spent many years in a real racing environment with open wheel formula race cars, and have enjoyed many open track days with the Formula Ford, F2000 and F1000 race cars. But I have seen so many people beat up nice performance street cars on track days. So that is my main reason for NOT using my cars on track days.

I realize that many owners will go this route, and that is ok, its just my personal choice. If I want to enjoy track days, I will re-acquire a true track race car.
Our focus is actually quite different. Your website for instance shows that yours is all about your personal achievement, and being an accomplished racer, with the race cars being whatever was used in the various classes. You cherish the wins, and organized racing provides that opportunity.

In my case I fall in love with a vehicle, and use the track as a way to fully explore and appreciate them. I cherish the car for its abilities, not my own. I'm a skilled driver, but never had an interest in competitive racing, turning down the opportunity to race for a team running Porsche in a high profile series. You'll find my track threads are a celebration of the cars abilities, and that's what I cherish.

Bruce

Old 03-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Our focus is actually quite different. Your website for instance shows that yours is all about your personal achievement, and being an accomplished racer, with the race cars being whatever was used in the various classes. You cherish the wins, and organized racing provides that opportunity.

In my case I fall in love with a vehicle, and use the track as a way to fully explore and appreciate them. I cherish the car for its abilities, not my own. I'm a skilled driver, but never had an interest in competitive racing, turning down the opportunity to race for a team running Porsche in a high profile series. You'll find my track threads are a celebration of the cars abilities, and that's what I cherish.

Bruce
Yes, you have to enjoy the car. Yes, my racing record and achievements in open wheel racing is evident on my website, but if you read my blog, you will see that I was always testing and sorting the formula cars, and testing the ability of the cars. Driving skills are one thing but the car is another, and how well it performs. In open wheel or closed wheel racing we are always looking for the next 1/10th of a second. I used to spend hour after hours before racing to make sure the car was 100%.

No matter how one does on the track, good or bad, as there is always a car that finishes first and one that finishes last. With myself, it was always about the safety, fun and then being competitive. Yes, I won a few championships, but being safe was #1. Once a formula car goes into a spin, the driver is there for the ride.

If you enjoy the open track days, I say enjoy. We all know our XK/XKR are quite the performance machines. Some choose to track them, others don't. Perhaps my age has allot to do with that notion or thought about running my XKR on a track.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I'm more a 'user' than a 'cherisher' when it comes to cars. I keep them properly serviced, and they get cleaned by the local Albanian hand car-wash from time to time, with a wax every few months. But I don't have a garage, so the beast has to sit outdoors & shiver - it doesn't get a lot of direct sun, so it doesn't cook too much in the summer, but it gets rained on & snowed on. And life's priorities mean I lack the time & inclination to fettle the car myself.

While I like looking at the car, I like driving it even more. That's the part of ownership that I cherish.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member

You do what with your Jaguar....use it like a REAL car???

OMG, that's AWESOME!!!

I think your's may very well be the one most likely to end up in a museum. Congratulations!

Bruce

Originally Posted by Ngarara
I'm more a 'user' than a 'cherisher' when it comes to cars. I keep them properly serviced, and they get cleaned by the local Albanian hand car-wash from time to time, with a wax every few months. But I don't have a garage, so the beast has to sit outdoors & shiver - it doesn't get a lot of direct sun, so it doesn't cook too much in the summer, but it gets rained on & snowed on. And life's priorities mean I lack the time & inclination to fettle the car myself.

While I like looking at the car, I like driving it even more. That's the part of ownership that I cherish.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member

You do what with your Jaguar....use it like a REAL car???

OMG, that's AWESOME!!!

I think your's may very well be the one most likely to end up in a museum. Congratulations!

Bruce
Heh - doubt it will become an exhibit, but since there were only 20 RHD XKR 75s made, it should be a collector's item one day. I don't do a lot of miles, since I work from home, so I won't wear it out - I only put 50k miles on my XK8 over 13 years, and that included some commuting. But, yeah, it's there to be used & enjoyed.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:14 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Of all the cars I have my 2013 Jaguar XKR puts the widest grind on my face. I treasure it and just like to look at its smooth subtle lines and curves. I also admire my wife in the same way. LOL. Seriously, the XK/XKR/XKR-S are just drop dead gorgeous cars. So, I appreciated it more than my other cars. I'd drive it more but the roads and weather where I life can cause damage to a car. So my XKR is garaged for 1/3 of the year. I just like to look at it even in the garage. I don't go to the track and would never take a car like the XKR to a track. On the other hand if I were into tracks I'd take my GTR their in a heart beat because it is a track oriented car.

On nice days I enjoy driving my XKR after I just washed every speck of dust off it. Every time I reach for a set of keys to drive 1 of my cars I also have a hard time resisting the XKR keys; they seem to just gravitate to my hands.

If I had Ngarara's 2011 XKR 75 I probably drive it even less. Ngarara's 75 is truly a rare car, unlike the North American 2011 XKR 175 I owned and sold. For those who don't know, the 175 is a fraud. The 175 only has a body kit (speed pack) and no performance enhancements.

Last edited by DGL; 03-08-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Maybe it's a British thing - I'm the same, it's my daily driver (why wouldn't I drive an XKR at every opportunity?). I wash it weekly, and get it serviced properly, but a car's for driving - if you want to polish get yourself some nice furniture!

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

For me, owning the XK does not come cheap, so I owe it to the car and to justify the expense by washing it once a week. Ok, she's in storage right now (taking her out of storage today), but if it's above freezing, I wash both our cars weekly.

I don't track the XK or really doing anything outside of normal driving. Cigar in the car is special, driving a scenic locale or arriving at some place special are the highlights.

Today will be our new corgi Lily's first ride in the XK. Luckily it'll be just of the two of us, so she can have the front seat. I do not think she's going to be digging the rear seat. Our last corgi, Camber, was smaller and she did not like it back there very much either. If it's staying home or back seat; they'll pick the back seat.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Instead of writing my own experiences, I've bascally quoted most of yours and slightly altered as most of your own comments in one way or another apply to me.

Love my car, try to ensure its as sorted as possible, service regular, **** about keeping it clean throughout, interior and exterior.
I enjoy cruising in such a beautiful car but also like to test its capablities from time to time

Originally Posted by richzak
My cars are hand washed/hand detailed and the ownership of automobiles is a passion and always have been.
I am one to maintain my cars to the highest level and my neighbors think I am crazy washing and detailing the cars often. I really enjoy owning the Jaguar
I really don't like to see beautiful performance autos going down the roads and seeing owners not caring and maintaining their rides.

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I tend wash them more frequently, by hand & also try to have my cars completely sorted.

I'm more a 'user' than a 'cherisher' when it comes to cars. I keep them properly serviced, and they get cleaned by the local Albanian hand car-wash from time to time, UNDER MY STRICT SUPERVISION with a wax every few months. But I don't have a garage, so the beast has to sit outdoors & shiver - it doesn't get a lot of direct sun, so it doesn't cook too much in the summer, but it gets rained on & snowed on.

Originally Posted by scm
Maybe it's a British thing - I'm the same, it's my daily driver (why wouldn't I drive it at every opportunity?). I wash it weekly, and get it serviced properly, but a car's for driving

Old 03-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
Maybe it's a British thing - I'm the same, it's my daily driver (why wouldn't I drive an XKR at every opportunity?).
Well, it's also a space & money thing - I note that most of our US forum-mates have multiple vehicles. Cars seem to cost less vs. income in the US, or perhaps the Jag-owner demographic is different, and most people have garages to keep their cars in. Also, we don't have the same weather extremes in the UK, so most people don't need to have winter/summer cars.

The following users liked this post:
scm (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I definitely don't "track" any of our cars. Just enjoy driving them in the mountains of N. Georgia which are only a few miles from the north suburbs of Atlanta. As far as a "cherished" car. It is our 1995 Lexus SC300 aka Toyota Soarer to most of the rest of the world. It was purchased new and has been in our family 19 years. It has the NA Supra in-line 6cylinder engine. It was an anniversary present for the wife so it is an automatic (even-though she drove many of the 5-speed manuals I had over the years), but we both drive it - primarily me since she got a new RX350 SUV. To me it is a rolling piece of artwork and talk about "quality", this car has it in spades. It still looks like new - no dents and dings. This car is capable of 140+mph which is not bad for a stock 1995 semi-luxury vehicle of its era.

Attached Thumbnails How do YOU cherish your Jaguar or significant other cars-lexus_sc300.jpg  

Last edited by v8cat; 03-08-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

The xk vert is my daily driver. Mostly fun drives when the S Cal traffic is not too bad. Just drove home from the desert in and enjoyed it very much. Have taken it over several passes over the last few years. It gets washed by hand once a week and detailed inside and out at least twice a year. The car is a "real looker" and gets lots of comments.

Having owned 11 Jaguars from a 1974 XJ12L to today's 2012 XK with several cars of other makes from Mercedes through Audis to Lexi's, I believe that nothing can touch a Jaguar for pure motoring pleasure. And no, I haven't tracked a car since the early 60s and have no plans to do so.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by v8cat
I definitely don't "track" any of our cars. Just enjoy driving them in the mountains of N. Georgia which are only a few miles from the north suburbs of Atlanta. As far as a "cherished" car. It is our 1995 Lexus SC300 aka Toyota Soarer to most of the rest of the world. It was purchased new and has been in our family 19 years. It has the NA Supra in-line 6cylinder engine. It was an anniversary present for the wife so it is an automatic (even-though she drove many of the 5-speed manuals I had over the years), but we both drive it - primarily me since she got a new RX350 SUV. To me it is a rolling piece of artwork and talk about "quality", this car has it in spades. It still looks like new - no dents and dings. This car is capable of 140+mph which is not bad for a stock 1995 semi-luxury vehicle of its era.

I too am a fan of Lexus. My daily driver is an 01 LS430 that I picked up 3 years ago. It's amazing how after so many years, absolutely everything works and works well! Leather seats show almost no wear, paint is still strong and original, etc, etc. There was a blog on "The Truth About Cars" solely on the DOOR HINGE of your SC300 referencing that it was over engineered to the extent of being virtually indestructible. Not so anymore! I have the luxury of a daily driver I can use anywhere as well as the enjoyment of taking out the XK whenever I get the urge for something completely different.