Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Illuminated growler grill badge

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Illuminated growler grill badge

Well decided to give this a go. Bought 2X 85MM CCFL HALO RINGS WITH 1 INVERTER FOR RETROFIT ANGEL EYES HEADLIGHT WHITE, but used one for round my growler badge. Connected it to one of the sidelights wires. Will take more pics as i had to be somewhere else in a hurry so took a quick pic. Have to say it looks nice especially at dust,as the light is just going. I changed the growler from the old dull one to this new type.

Attached Thumbnails Illuminated growler grill badge-sl273242.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by powerhouse:
sherbercars (02-01-2015), tberg (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

OK, now I want that. Got me also thinking.... I want the red part to glow also.
Hmmmmm........ some LEDs, mounted from the rear through holes, fill the red part with translucent red epoxy......

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
OK, now I want that. Got me also thinking.... I want the red part to glow also.
Hmmmmm........ some LEDs, mounted from the rear through holes, fill the red part with translucent red epoxy......
Though of the illuminating the red part before i did it. You can buy what are called led puck lights, which are red 12v. Seen it done on the rear of a jag, but it suited the rear. Would not do it on the front as it would look like a red nose in the middle (rudolf), wouldn't do it. I also have my sidelights switched to ice white leds, also the main bulbs and fogs are ice white, the growler light matches nice.
2X 85mm CCFL Halo Rings With 1 Inverter FOR Retrofit Angel Eyes Headlight White | eBay

Big Otter (03-01-2017), Cee Jay (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 03:00 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Don't like. IMO it is tacky.

The following 3 users liked this post by DGL:
Murdoch29 (07-04-2015), powerhouse (02-01-2015), ralphwg (02-02-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Don't like. IMO it is tacky.
Thanks for your comment DGL, that's what this forum is all about and i have taken you comment on the chin, i'm still standing

Will leave on and see what comments i get, it's not hard to take off. Cheers

Old 02-01-2015, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

That's hot! You had to add another thing to my to do list, didn't you? I'll never catch up.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
That's hot! You had to add another thing to my to do list, didn't you? I'll never catch up.
I agree with Ted. I like it. I will need to add it to my "to do" list. Have the cross pipe exhaust being completed tomorrow along with 4 Mina Gallery tips (thanks again for those beautiful tips Ted!). Front and rear Ceramic EBC Red brakes to be installed, the door LED "jag" puddle lights are in the garage waiting for install and now this....Thanks Powerhouse!!

powerhouse (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I'm a little torn here as I don't like the halo concept but I would like to see the RED part of the growler lit up. Just my 2 cents

powerhouse (02-03-2015)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I'm a little torn here as I don't like the halo concept but I would like to see the RED part of the growler lit up. Just my 2 cents
As i said to cee jay, have looked at the red option, but it would look like a red nose lit up at night, so no for me. I like the halo effect. Some people like it ,others not sure. I love when someone does something different to their car and the interest starts, will i, won't i.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I would also believe that a red "light" on the front of a vehicle would be illegal. Unless you would use only when parked / showing the car - I see no point.

powerhouse (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by powerhouse
Will leave on and see what comments i get, it's not hard to take off. Cheers
What method did you use to attach the halo? I'm quite sure I could come up with several ideas myself, but all input is welcomed.

Since I have the older black-background Growler (since enameled red), I had to buy a 90mm CCFL to fit as the 85mm was too small of an inside diameter to fit. Maybe all the sizes are not equal?

Have you gotten any comments, negative or positive?

Old 02-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

What method did you use to attach the halo? I'm quite sure I could come up with several ideas myself, but all input is welcomed.

Since I have the older black-background Growler (since enameled red), I had to buy a 90mm CCFL to fit as the 85mm was too small of an inside diameter to fit. Maybe all the sizes are not equal?

Have you gotten any comments, negative or positive?
Cee jay, my car been 07 came with the old dull green badge. I bought the new red growler one, 85mm as in pic. The old one was just stuck on so came off easy when i got a screw driver behind it. I adhesived the back of the new one and stuck ot on,. The new one sits out a bit, not that you'd notice, about 3-4mm. As for the halo, it has an inside measurement as the badge so just sliped over. I put a wee bit of clear silicone on the inside edge and job done. When buying the halo's some do tell the insde measurement.

Attached Thumbnails Illuminated growler grill badge-dsc_0037-2-.jpg  
Cee Jay (02-04-2015), Na5h (06-21-2021)
Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

OK then powerhouse, how did you get the wiring to the sidelight wiring, and which wire exactly did you attach it to?
I can almost reach exactly ONE plug that I think goes to the headlight of the right, and it has I think eight wires on a nine-pin plug (if I remember).
I will have to fish the supply wiring from the halo through the grill holes and out through a gap between the right headlight and the bonnet support bar.
Any other ideas?

Old 02-07-2015, 07:49 AM
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

OMG I WANT ONE!
Any pics of it at night?? is it very noticeable?

Old 02-08-2015, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member

OK then powerhouse, how did you get the wiring to the sidelight wiring, and which wire exactly did you attach it to?
I can almost reach exactly ONE plug that I think goes to the headlight of the right, and it has I think eight wires on a nine-pin plug (if I remember).
I will have to fish the supply wiring from the halo through the grill holes and out through a gap between the right headlight and the bonnet support bar.
Any other ideas?
First when you open your bonnet you will see where the top of your bonnet is screwed on in place, There is a type on ledge in front of it. I drilled a hole in this ledge just enough to let the end leds of the halo to get through. I put the halo round the badge and fished the wire up through the grill to the hole. I screwed the inverter to the ledge and connected the halo wires to the inverter. I had to add a extra piece of wire to the end of the inverter as it wasn't long enough to get to the lamp. Once i did that time to connect. I connected to the right had light. The one plug connects all the wires to the lamp. When you remove the plug, there is three wires horizontal at the base of the plug. The one in the middle is a small black and white one, it's for sidelights. I just sliced into that. The earth i connect to a bolt on the body. That was it.

Cee Jay (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 10:07 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

Here's my opinion on adding extra illumination:

One needs to be careful when adding exterior mods. Other than for performance reasons a mod added to the exterior design of a car is for impression reasons. Going to far beyond the original design, especially illumination, makes the car loud--it says, "look at me". No one would add a center illuminated halo to a Ferrari or McLaren--they don't need to. The Jaguar XKR is a beautifully designed car out of the box with only simple modifications necessary to make it your own. IMO the illuminated center halo is tacky and pretentious, taking away from the character of the car and it's owner. A well designed car like the XKR doesn't need to be molested into a light show. If I seen a Ferrari or McLaren with a center halo or extra exterior lighting added I would question the character of its owner. Exotic stealth is much more impressionable than making yourself look loud. This is just my opinion...

Last edited by DGL; 02-08-2015 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
powerhouse (02-08-2015), ralphwg (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Here's my opinion on adding extra illumination:

One needs to be careful when adding exterior mods. Other than for performance reasons a mod added to the exterior design of a car is for impression reasons. Going to far beyond the original design, especially illumination, makes the car loud--it says, "look at me". No one would add a center illuminated halo to a Ferrari or McLaren--they don't need to. The Jaguar XKR is a beautifully designed car out of the box with only simple modifications necessary to make it your own. IMO the illuminated center halo is tacky and pretentious, taking away from the character of the car and it's owner. A well designed car like the XKR doesn't need to be molested into a light show. If I seen a Ferrari or McLaren with a center halo or extra exterior lighting added I would question the character of its owner. Exotic stealth is much more impressionable than making yourself look loud. This is just my opinion...
Great to read some interesting comments and everyone is entitled to their own .As for the word Pretentious, which translates from the dictionary as,
"making claim to distinction or importance, esp undeservedly", well the xk deservies to be pushed out here, no mater what means, look at wraps, wheels ,body kits and the best of all exhaust noise. There are plenty of car makers doing illuminated grill badges such as Audi, mercs, lexus and deseviedly so as they make some nice motors too. If people didn't differ in ideas it wouldn't make our motors individual to us.
Having owned now two jags and there is members with more there are certain things IMO could have been better designed, so i would differ in the statement "The Jaguar XKR is a beautifully designed car out of the box", this fourm shows how things could have been better, design and build quality.
I love my xkr the good and the bad points and i wan't it to be Pretentious, i want it to scream look at me, after all it's a JAG.

Last edited by powerhouse; 02-08-2015 at 01:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by powerhouse:
Cee Jay (02-08-2015), DGL (02-08-2015), sherbercars (02-08-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 03:18 AM

I definitely want one... I've got a thing for lights, my house numbers are lit up too!

I'm not very ... hands on though lol. Drill a hole ? what (?)

I'll email the garage and ask them if they can do it for me if I buy the parts from fleabay!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Harmz
I'm not very ... hands on though lol. Drill a hole ? what (?)

I'll email the garage and ask them if they can do it for me if I buy the parts from fleabay!
I ended up removing the plastic trim piece from under the front of the bonnet when it is raised. Thirteen plastic screws and inserts, no holes necessary! Then it is REAL easy to feed wires, and I zip-tied the inverter to a line that goes across the front. Posi-Tapped into that exact wire that Powerhouse specified, and all is wonderful.
Be sure to measure the outside diameter of your protruding Growler, as they are different sizes. The new Red Background one I guess is a little smaller than the Black Background one. Powerhouse used an 85mm light (???) whereas I needed a 90mm. The Growler is actually part of the grill on my 2010, molded into it instead of stuck on.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:46 AM

Then it is REAL easy to feed wires, and I zip-tied the inverter to a line that goes across the front. Posi-Tapped into that exact wire that Powerhouse specified, and all is wonderful.

Haha LOST me at wires!

Quick Reply: Illuminated growler grill badge