XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

It's official, I'm ticked

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default It's official, I'm ticked. Update: fixed

So I was renewing the anti-rodent measures in my garage this evening which involves getting on the floor where my XKR is parked. Imagine my horror when I found a large chunk of the undertray hanging down. One of the plastic nuts came out with it and by the looks of the holes none of the others "pulled through" or show signs of damage. My local dealer serviced the car in January so I am guessing the grease monkey forgot to do up the fasteners properly. They are going to get the rough edge of my tongue in the morning.

Attached Thumbnails It's official, I'm ticked-dscf3849.jpg   It's official, I'm ticked-dscf3850.jpg  

Last edited by agentorange; 02-22-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: It's fixed
The following users liked this post:
MaximA (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Id hate to be on the other end of that phone in the morning.....

Old 02-18-2014, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Annoying but hard to prove. If you intend using them again maybe some tact would help.
From past experiences I've found trying to blame someone often resulted in heated words,some aggravation and the issue is not fixed.

Either way,good luck and I know how you feel.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

+1

I can understand you're not happy but a thorough tongue-lashing will end up with you never going back there again.

When I did an oil change on mine, I wasn't impressed with the four fasteners used to hold a tray of this size and weight.

Graham
Graham

Old 02-18-2014, 06:28 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I went to Costco to have my oil changed on my pathfinder in 2003. When I got home I noticed they stripped half of the bolts and threads holding the under cover on. I went back to Costco and politely told them of the problem. The service manager told me to not come back again. I left it alone but should have escalated the problem... It did **** me off. It was a brand new SUV at the time. My advise is be very nice and tell them how much you love and take car of your car and if they don't cover the damage escalate it.

Last edited by DGL; 02-18-2014 at 08:40 AM.
ralphwg (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I dread going to the dealer every time I come back from them fixing one thing something else is broken. I have to have my A/C condenser replaced and they forgot to put the damper back on my glove box and also scratched the leather on my console. I also asked them not to wash the car as it cost me 1400 to get their swirl marks out of the car. I even posted a giant sign on the dash that said DO NOT WASH, they did anyway.. I now have swirl marks again, and have to have it corrected again...

Last edited by MaximA; 02-18-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
+1

I can understand you're not happy but a thorough tongue-lashing will end up with you never going back there again.

When I did an oil change on mine, I wasn't impressed with the four fasteners used to hold a tray of this size and weight.

Graham
Graham
Yes, agree that those fasteners are flaky, at best.

Albert

Old 02-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
I went to Costco to have my oil changed on my pathfinder in 2003. When I got home I noticed they stripped half of the bolts and threads holding the under cover on. I went back to Costco and politely told them of the problem. The service manager told me to not come back again. I left it alone but should have escalated the problem... It did **** me off. It was a brand new SUV at the time. My advise is be very nice and tell them how much you love and take car of your car and if they don't cover the damage escalate it.
I go to Costco often and if I ever heard someone say something like that, guaranteed they'd hear it from as high up as I can talk to.

I am having repairs issues on my Rover this week. I brought it for an alignment, left with an HID bulb out. Had to bring it back for that, then the running light was not attached to housing, had to bring it in again today. 3rd visit was the charm. My friends just love this repair shop, but last time I went, they put gouges in my VDP and covered them up with grease. By the time I saw it (4 days later), I know it would be all crickets when I pointed out that they did it. Don't know why I went there for the alignment... Not going there again, this time for real!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by DGL
. My advise is be very nice and tell them how much you love and take car of your car and if they don't cover the damage escalate it.
Excellent advice.

I view such matters simply as a problem that needs to be solved. Going in with both gun blazing just puts the other guy on the defensive and *immediately reduces* the chance of a favorable resolution.

Give the other guy the chance to do the right thing, just on general principles. Then, if he stupidly fails to take the opportunity, escalate.

Cheers
DD

MaximA (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
I also asked them not to wash the car as it cost me 1400 to get their swirl marks out of the car. I even posted a giant sign on the dash that said DO NOT WASH, they did anyway.. I know have swirl marks again, and have to have it corrected again...

GAH! Now *that* is somthing even I would have a hard time holding my temper over.

Shoot, anybody can bollix up some plastic splash pan fasteners or such. I'd like to see a show of hands from all of those who have never made a mistake in whatever line of work they're in.

But to outright disregard a customer's request like that.....grrrrr!

Cheers
DD

MaximA (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I've had mine in twice. First to diagnose an airflow meter CEL which they couldn't, second to try again and do routine service with brake fluid change. When we went to pick it up the service advisor noticed the brake pedal was soft and we waited over an hour while they bled the brakes properly. It also took an extra day to get it into the shop once they had the car, even though I had made an appointment to suit their schedule. Still no idea about CEL. I asked for quote on Michelin Pilot Super Sports and when I questioned the low price they said they quoted a Michelin all-season tire because their supplier doesn't have the Super Sport. Just incompetence all the way, and a two hour drive each way to experience it...never again.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

All this being said Jag and Land Rover service departments have a LONG way to go. I have two friends with Range Rovers that both cost over 100k and ceck out these stories.

Friend 1 brings in his 2007 Range Rover in because it died in the middle of I95 and would not start. They had his car for a MONTH and when they returned it the driver seat did not match the rest of the seats. All the seats were an ivory color with ivory stitching, while his drivers seat was well worn and ivory with blue stitching. Two months later it breaks down again while on a trip to Alabama. He calls the 800 number which refers him to a dealer that is 100 miles away. They refused to pick up the car as it was too far away and then told him he complains to much. WTF

Friend 2 brings his 2010 Range Rover in because one of the cameras was not working. When they returned it that camera worked but all the others did not. he went back and forth multiple times because of this and finally traded for a Porsche Panamera...

Now I have swirl marks again, a broken glove box, scratched leather on my console. They told me the car would be done in a day it took over a week. I also asked them to about the Alcantara steering wheel and paddles and they took three weeks to give me a price that was twice what I can get it for on the internet.

The service departments at Jag/LR dealers suck and I can't come up with a more proper word.

Last edited by MaximA; 02-18-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I have also had my share of horror stories with Land Rover and Jaguar service departments until I discovered Jaguar of Orlando. Their service exemplifies and sets the standard for what all services departments should be.

MaximA (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that! Maybe they are slowly coming around.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Guys, if you ever get this **** from a Jaguar dealer or authorised repairer, take it up with the mother ship. Jaguar does not like its customers being given poor service. I'm not saying it will always work, but if you document it well and approach them from the "I think you need to know this" angle rather than the "I demand a refund!" angle, you may get some satisfaction and compensation.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

I agree, but the GM of the dealership is a very good friend and just go to him and he usually fixes the issue. Last time he laid into them pretty hard and their attitude towards me has improved 100%, but why did you have to turn my perfect paint in to a swirlfest I'll never understand. Now I need another paint correction, after one bad wash.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Guys, if you ever get this **** from a Jaguar dealer or authorised repairer, take it up with the mother ship. Jaguar does not like its customers being given poor service. I'm not saying it will always work, but if you document it well and approach them from the "I think you need to know this" angle rather than the "I demand a refund!" angle, you may get some satisfaction and compensation.
That's what should be done, and that's what I did and the result was the service manager calling me to apologize. He explained that their senior mechanic with many years experience has done my brakes and he was surprised he didn't bleed them properly. He offered me a complimentary detailing on my next visit, which will never happen, and I wouldn't allow even if I did go back there.

Bruce

Old 02-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
I dread going to the dealer every time I come back from them fixing one thing something else is broken. I have to have my A/C condenser replaced and they forgot to put the damper back on my glove box and also scratched the leather on my console. I also asked them not to wash the car as it cost me 1400 to get their swirl marks out of the car. I even posted a giant sign on the dash that said DO NOT WASH, they did anyway.. I now have swirl marks again, and have to have it corrected again...
I have one question... Why aren't you getting them to pay for the problems they are causing?

No disrespect to yourself, but the real problem is the people that just silently accept the damage/shoddy service, as they enable the bad dealers to continue to trade profitably (therefore continue to exist at all).

If anybody dared to damage my Jag they'd better watch out for a bill backed up by a lawyer.

Last edited by JustNiz; 02-18-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same issue, one nut was missing, not sure how. The plastic nut was $8 from Jaguar. Forget it. Went to nearest garage and they popped a steel nut on there for FREE. They would have been embarrassed to charge me for a nut and 5 minutes of work. They did have to try several sizes because the thread is supposedly very fine.

Would it have killed Jag to use metal nuts on this part of a $80k car??

Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Problem solved?

I work on all my cars myself. Only person I have to complain to is myself if it gets screwed up. I do the oil changes too

Quick Reply: It's official, I'm ticked