XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

A Jaguar XKR Alternative...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:58 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts
Default A Jaguar XKR Alternative...

This could be the answer for those reluctant to buy an F-type because of space shortage: Jaguar F-Type Shooting Brake is Beyond Sexy ;and,... find it hard to separate with the XKR. IMO it looks great and could be the answer for many. Reminds me of the Ferrari FF.

Last edited by DGL; 12-22-2014 at 06:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
ralphwg (12-23-2014), sharx8 (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 06:34 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

wow, "clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder", I'm not attracted to that design in the least! Looks like the Volvo

Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 316 Posts

IMO totally wrong and awful looking, looks like a stretched and lowered BMW 135i. I wouldn't swap an xkr for it, the vert or hard top ,yes but not this, not for me.

Attached Thumbnails A Jaguar XKR Alternative...-ftype.jpg   A Jaguar XKR Alternative...-bmw-m135i-2012-f21-fahrbericht-30.jpeg  

Last edited by powerhouse; 12-22-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Ugly....looks like any other SUV.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Personally I am a huge fan of wagons over SUVs. I am on my 3rd E class wagon now. I do like the looks of this F type variant but I like the looks of my XKR better and much prefer the utility provided by the wagon (7 Passengers in a pinch). If I had to make do with just one car, I might consider it. The Vette shooting brake is also interesting to me. Most people prefer SUVs though, largely I suspect because of the taller seating position allowing soccer Moms to feel a bit more confident. (Lol)

The following 3 users liked this post by sharx8:
Barry Leftwich (02-20-2020), DGL (03-06-2020), guy (02-23-2020)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
The following users liked this post:
DGL (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I see the similarity, but having swooned over the 599 GTO a few days ago (had never seen one before, this one was black and awesome, $1,000,000 plus here) there is only one Ferrari for my eyes...

Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Looks OK but not to my taste. I was looking for a convertible so the extra space of a wagon doesn't fit my choice. I didn't care to much for the Ferrari FF either but I guess they might be a good choice for the soccer moms out there. My bride would like this but she would never give up her old Volvo and I just couldn't do a 5th vehicle for the 2 of us.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Call me a fool, but I am digging that F-type shooting brake. Looks cool to me!

Old 12-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Ummm... no. Best lookin wagon I've seen though.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I think it looks cool and might be tempted.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I tend to like it while reserving final judgement until seeing one up close and personal. Yeah, likely never will happen :-(.

I always felt a bit claustrophobic in the F, feeling pinned between the solid bulkhead that my seat was pushed against and the center console forward. This construction would certainly open up some breathing space back there that I would probably like.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:35 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
I tend to like it while reserving final judgement until seeing one up close and personal. Yeah, likely never will happen :-(.

I always felt a bit claustrophobic in the F, feeling pinned between the solid bulkhead that my seat was pushed against and the center console forward. This construction would certainly open up some breathing space back there that I would probably like.

I agree, it will probably never happen. I have the same experience with most true sports cars with 2 seats, the claustrophobic feeling is uncomfortable. This is one of many reasons why I like my XKR so much. It offers so much more compared to other cars in the GT market space and it performs like a sports car.

axr6 (12-25-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I agree with both of you. I didnt like the feeling in the f-type cockpit at all for that reason (and I thought that the finish was a bit cheapo, but it might have been the entry version). I dont know whether the coupe is any different.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Interesting as I had the same impression when I sat in both the F-type convertible and coupe. No mind you I just came out of a Ferrari 308 GTB which is a 2 seater but as I think about it I was not crowded in it. Looking back and making a comparison I think what makes the F seem tight is the center console in my opinion. My old 308 has a small , low center console and no place for your right elbow to rest. On the Jag the console is up to your hip and forms a barrier from the passenger seat. On the XK even though the console is large there seems to be more interior room. Just my 2 cents here

Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6

I was concerned about the claustrophobic feeling in the F Type coupe as compared to my XKR when I first sat in one. After owning a F Type coupe for a few months I don't notice it anymore. It would be nice to have a bit of storage behind the seat but you can't have everything.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

I had a F-type V8 S convertible last weekend courtesy of Jaguar. I agree the cabin is a little tight, especially the controls to open the doors; they are shaped and placed somewhat awkwardly for a person of my build (I'm 6' with 36" sleeve length arms). regarding distance from the wheel and pedals, I found the pedals to be placed just right for me with the seat back almost straight up and the seat cushion at the back of the track. I found the other controls to be a bit cramped and awkward to get to, but I think that would go away with time.

Regarding the rest of the F-Type, it screams and back talks like a Banshee which ups the fun level significantly. It handles like a dream on curvy, hilly two lane roads and its ride is much harsher than that of my XK. In addition it goes like a bat out of hell when you put the pedal to metal. In balance, I had a great weekend toy and really enjoyed it, but I'm glad to be back in my trusty 2012 XK vert.

DGL (12-24-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Two different cars. An exceptional GT and a well rounded daily fun sports car.

I've been considering selling my XKR for some time because I also have a family car, sports car and a truck and need AWD for my climate. The difficult think is letting go of the XKR because it's such a great GT car--nothing compares to it in the price range. I've been looking for an AWD sports car to replace my SLK 55 AMG and the XKR. I want a sports car I can use all year. I looked at a Porsche 911 turbo S but find them too boring. If the McLaren MP4 12c were AWD it would make a great fit. I want something exotic with AWD and a degree of comfort and lots of performance. Also, must be reliable. The new Acura NSX is of interest but I will need to wait for the spider version. The F-type V8 AWD is an option but I want a hardtop convertible and sometime more exotic. Like someone said above, trade offs need to be made, especially when considering sport cars. I have lots of time to make the switch and the F-type V8 AWD is a strong contender. If I never had such a large garage and wanted only one car, a car like the F-type shooting brake would be appealing.

Last edited by DGL; 12-24-2014 at 08:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGL:
guy (03-04-2020), ralphwg (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I had a F-type V8 S convertible last weekend courtesy of Jaguar. I agree the cabin is a little tight, especially the controls to open the doors; they are shaped and placed somewhat awkwardly for a person of my build (I'm 6' with 36" sleeve length arms). regarding distance from the wheel and pedals, I found the pedals to be placed just right for me with the seat back almost straight up and the seat cushion at the back of the track. I found the other controls to be a bit cramped and awkward to get to, but I think that would go away with time.

Regarding the rest of the F-Type, it screams and back talks like a Banshee which ups the fun level significantly. It handles like a dream on curvy, hilly two lane roads and its ride is much harsher than that of my XK. In addition it goes like a bat out of hell when you put the pedal to metal. In balance, I had a great weekend toy and really enjoyed it, but I'm glad to be back in my trusty 2012 XK vert.
Just curious which model Jaguar did you have? I have driven all 3 versions of the F-type and was disappointed with the ride of the base model. It was rough, simply bucking and bumping down the terrible road surfaces of my test drives.

On the other hand, the S-type had ride qualities that were MUCH better. The electronically controlled dampers do miracles dampening out the road imperfections. About the same differences as I had when driving my '08 XK with conventional shocks and 18" wheels. vs. my '08 XK with 19" wheels. The '08 ride was far superior even with the shorter tire sidewalls, credit going to the electronic dampers.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Albert I had the F- Type R, albeit a relatively stripped down version as the sticker price was approximately 91k. The ride was significantly more harsh than my XK even when I put the car in "snow mode". I'm not an expert, but I think that is what you get when the car in question handles the way the F- Type does. Throwing it around curves with a modicum of accelerator pressure reveals a very taut responsive sports car. Granted, to me, it doesn't seem to handle pavement imperfections real well; but then again I have a 78 year old body with all of the body imperfections and faults that father time imposes on us.

I don't know what part of California you are in. I'm in Southern Cal and I was able to take two 45 minute runs on Mulholland highway with little traffic so I was able to let the car out and have a lot of fun without too many interruptions.

Quick Reply: A Jaguar XKR Alternative...